Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
In the last few months I blazed through all of the BotF series, FoD, and the the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach series. I intentionally avoided the ICE books until I had nothing else left to read because everyone in this thread saying that they were pretty terrible. I just finished Night of Knives and... I liked it.

Does this mean that I've had terrible taste all this time and didn't know it? Or do the later books suck more and tarnish this one? I've heard Kiska's storyline doesn't actually go anywhere so I tried not to get too invested in what her ultimate role will be, but I liked the Temper parts. Granted they both seemed a little too Mary Sue/Marty Stu-ish, but that's most fantasy books for you, and there are definitely characters like that in the main series.

The parts I enjoyed the most were Temper's flashbacks that revealed a lot more about Daseem and the first assault on Y'Ghatan, seemed almost like it belonged in a different book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Captain Monkey posted:

This, because Crokus becomes a straight up badass without having had a God teach him everything he knew. It's just straight up will and determination from some literally nobody street kid.

I thought this had less to do with any level of badassery Crokus attains and more to do with the fact that he only becomes an assassin because Apsalar is one and he thinks that becoming one as well will bring him closer to her. What he doesn't realize is that she doesn't like who she has become and with every step down that path he takes she feels more and more guilty for causing him to follow in her footsteps.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I just finished the last ICE book and I feel like it didn't go through a very rigorous editing process. Everyone kept referring to Barathol as Kalam's brother when the main continuity clearly established them as distant cousins multiple times. Also before Antsy reveals who he actually is to the rest of his group people call him Antsy instead of Red at various times. And last but not least the whole referring to K'rul as a woman thing just seems like ICE and Erikson had some sort of disagreement about K'rul's gender and ICE decided to just go his own way with it. I'm sure there's more things but those are the major ones I can remember off of the top of my head.

Fake edit: Oh yeah and also I didn't understand why the Malazans were so upset when the Moranth used their munitions to blow the gently caress out of the Seguleh. Don't they use those munitions all the time? Seemed super out of character for any Malazan army. What were they just supposed to get mowed down while admiring the Seguleh's swordsmanship? A huge theme of the series is old ways being displaced by newer ones and no one seems to ever be particularly upset about it, barring the old powers that is.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Oh right, there's more after Orb, Scepter, Throne. I'm an idiot who forgot that Blood and Bone and Assail exist just because I hadn't downloaded them to my kindle yet. Still, I got them as a Christmas gift so I might as well power through them.

Habibi posted:

Re: the Seguleh/Moranth

I was always under the impression that the reason sappers hoarded their munitions was a combination of the fact that they were emotionally attached to them, they were "too good to use," and they didn't know when they would get more to play with. The Bridgeburners never seemed to have a problem blowing people up when the situation called for it, and the sappers in the Chain of Dogs used plenty.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Fenrir posted:

That's still one of my favorite scenes in the series. Especially since you can just picture Duiker and that other captain (gently caress, what was his name) desperately trying not to laugh.

Bult?

Fake edit: Just looked it up, yeah it's Bult.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

mornhaven posted:

Was it manned by the Malazans? I thought it was manned by recruits specifically for the wall or criminals mainly since I remember it being a big deal that Sort had served on the wall. I could be completely wrong though.

No it was manned by the Korelri, who the Malazans were apparently unable to conquer previously.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Eh, like I haven't read MoI 3 times.

While MoI, like all books in the series is great, I consider other books better. Best scene and character in MoI is Itkovian for me. Cool moments is not the only reason to read the series.

Am I the only one to think that Itkovian is a really bland character? He never really did much for me and I'm not sure why there was so much focus on him.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Itkovian's role in MoI was mostly to introduce the concept of shield anvils without 10 pages of exposition, the same way Gruntle is used to show what a mortal sword is.

Yeah but Gruntle was entertaining and an interesting character that did more than just introduce a concept. We had plenty of other characters with survivors guilt, plenty of characters giving up on their gods, and we had plenty of other shield anvils, and they all had other characteristics.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Edit: ^^^^^ This is a stance I can get behind.

Cardiac posted:

Funny thing, Gruntle is basically the classic reluctant hero and while he have some cool scenes, he is really not that complicated.
I also enjoy the fact that you don't seem to realize that people can have different favorite characters. Personal taste etc.....

I also enjoy the fact that you don't seem to realize that I'm not an idiot. I understand taste is subjective, my original comment was acknowledging the fact that my stance was a minority one. I was hoping to get some insight why most people seem to enjoy a character that wasn't all that interesting to me, and see if anyone else shared my viewpoint. The only thing I seem to hear about Itkovian is people singing his praises and I was wondering if there was some other read on him that I was missing that could lead to me appreciating him more.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I just finished Assail last week and actually thought he did a pretty good job with it. Not with actually making the Forkrul Assail themselves interesting or seeming like an actual threat, but the continent of Assail was pretty interesting. Certainly way better than Jacuruku was portrayed.

Shouldn't have been named Assail though, would have been a way better story without them entirely. That and if there were fewer ship convoys and parties moving overland so the story could be more focused. That's pretty much par for the course with ICE, though.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Hahaha, I was about to write the book off entirely based on that review but I actually laughed out loud when I read "triple fuckdamn." I might need to check out that train wreck.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Congratulations, you're done with arguably the worst book in the entire series.

Ehh, Night of Knives wasn't the worst ICE book. I think that honor falls on Blood and Bone personally. I know you said arguably the worst, so that's my argument.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

I rarely tell people outright that they're wrong.

But you are so wrong.

At least it was relatively short and focused on fewer characters, even if at least one of them was a Mary Sue. Blood and Bone was so much slog and had about 5 too many groups of people traveling through the jungle. Normally he's content with focusing on only around 3 too many groups traveling. And the Thaumaturgs were so much wasted potential.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Well here's to hoping that Dancers Lament will be a big step up from both of them. If not, well at least Fall of Light is coming soon as well.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Captain_Person posted:

That's more or less what I was looking for, thanks! I'm probably going to skip the Bauchelain and Broach books though, at least for now.

While they aren't really necessary to the story, they are pretty fun reads and very short. Definitely read them at some point.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I just slogged through Fall of Light, way too much philosophizing, not enough convergence. I was looking forward to a badass battle that would make all the buildup worth it and then it all got told secondhand psychically and I got pretty mad about that.

Then I read Dancer's Lament and actually really liked it. ICE avoids his normal pitfalls of writing too many POVs by limiting the action to one city, even if half of the characters are members of the Crimson Guard pre-guard and he still does the whole "who could this character with a different name but all the same traits and weapons/armor of a known character possibly be?" thing.

Anyways, I finished it super quick and was way more into it than Fall of Light, which I never thought would be the case.

Prazek and Dathenar were cool bros though.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

bucketybuck posted:

As a massive Malazan fan, I have just had the misfortune of finishing Fall of Light. It was complete and utter drivel.

Its as if Erikson heard all the complaints about the constant philosophizing in MBOTF and decided, "No, they are wrong, we need more of that, we need every character and every page constantly moralizing and philosophizing and analyzing and oh god this poo poo is boring as hell...".

More seriously, if Steven Erikson has an interest in philosophy then more power to him, but I'd rather he didn't dress it up in fancy covers and try to take my money by pretending its something I might want to read. Just get a loving blog and pontificate all you want.

History will not be kind to Fall of Light, its boring, its irrelevant, it has one of the most eye rolling fan service pandering moments I've ever read and I'm sorry that I made myself read through the whole turgid mess.

I'm glad someone shares my opinion on this. I posted about it a few weeks ago and no one responded. That coupled with liking Dancer's Lament was making me question my tastes in fiction.

Fall of Light's plot could easily have taken place within a handful of chapters, and should have.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Monocled Falcon posted:

Liking it so far, but the thing I hate most in a fantasy novel is when the normal humans are seeminly powerless against the supernatural but haven't factored that into any part of their society.

What good is a legion is all they can do against any kind of fantasy monster is hope it works like a killbot from Futurama?

Only a couple chapters in, but it already feels like the Malazan empire is absurdly outclassed and should walking way more softly because the only thing they can do against a magic user is hope they have a stronger one.

lol, not trying to sound condescending, but keep reading/listening and definitely keep posting reactions. Best part of the thread.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah we don't want to discourage the newbies. It will ruin their enjoyment and ours. Please post all predictions as well as reactions, thanks.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I also think Itkovian is dumb and boring, never got the love for him.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Everyone's forgetting Kalam rolling his shoulders.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

saviro posted:

Haven't read any of the Esslemont books but Dancer's Lament. And I really liked it. Should I dive into his books or is DL just a product of Kellanved and Cotillion being awesome?

Dancer's Lament is definitely the best of the ICE books, the others vary from enjoyable to boring. Most would benefit from at least three fewer POVs.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I thought he stated that Lether was based around the decline of the Roman empire? The fact that it also reflects American society is just icing on the cake.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Fall of Light should have been at least half as long as it was and also included an actual climax instead of the wet fart that we got. And what kind of civil war is wrapped up in one battle?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I thought Willful Child was really funny, but I've also never watched Star Trek apart from a few of the movies, so make of that what you will. I'll definitely pick up the new one.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Hand Row posted:

The general rule for Dune is to read the series until you no longer enjoy it. Everyone has their own breaking point. The weird thing is it doesn't feel unresolved or disappointing.

God Emperor of Dune was bad, I had to force myself to slog through it and stopped there.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I'm at Idaho talking to Paul

It doesn't get better.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Some of those things are addressed in ICE's books, others come up in the Kharkanas Trilogy. Not much is actually dropped. I'm sure the planned books will come back to even more that feels unfinished now.

Also some of those things you're remembering mistakenly. Scillara never had a child of the dead seed and Hood is avenging a dead wife, not looking for one.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

turboraton posted:

I'm in the very first pages and GOD drat.

Strap in and get ready for some poo poo. Also please post reactions and theories.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Eh, no.
Also MoI have Itkovian as the redeeming feature. The more I read about the Bridgeburners, the less I liked them.
Well, except Fiddler. Fiddler is the best thing to come out of the Bridgeburners.

Contrasting opinion, Itkovian is boring and bad and entirely too much time is spent on being in awe of his blah blah blah get back to almost any other subplot.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

turboraton posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying Forge of Darkness, it's characters and development. One thing tho, Jesus Christ Olar Ethil and everything related to her! Is she like, responsible for EVERYTHING?

She likes to think so.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

blue squares posted:

I finished book 1 and wow was that Jaghut Tyrant a really lame macguffin that turned out to be of no consequence to the story

It also introduces one of the themes that he loves to explore, namely what is old and powerful ain't necessarily poo poo no more, as power creep has made many other characters outpace the threat. Also any random mook can have a lucky day and take out world-ending threats pretty much accidentally. It's a subversion of the "ancient evil" trope that appears everywhere that he does much better later.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Like, what even was the point of that? What is so important about the smartest man in the city and the god of the sea eating literal garbage that we need to have a half dozen scenes of it?

Because it was hilarious and the best part of the book by far.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So I've read absolutely zero of the non-Erickson books; however since I'm currently re-reading the series (even though I'm already through Midnight Tides on the re-read) I thought now might be a good time to pick these up.

My question to you, fellow genre fiction goons, is: would it be worth my time and money to do so? Do they add anything worthwhile and are they written well enough not to be a chore to read?

They range from boring to decent for the Crimson Guard books. Dancers Lament was legitimately good as a prequel.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Fall of Light ended with a wet fart. Bring on Karsa!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The most alive person in Fall of Light was the utterly confused elf kid out for vengeance that ended up wargaming out the darkness/light battle for Kharkanas throne.

The worst ending to any of his books. A Convergence-less Convergence.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I thought Erickson was starting a sci-fi series?

That already has two books out. I enjoyed the first one but haven't gotten a chance to pick up the second one yet.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

I thought part of Kallor's curse was the fact that he was doomed to an eternity of never being able to attain his goals, therefore he can't be killed, just constantly making minor progress before getting dunked on?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

CoolHandMat posted:

is this Special Candle a real thing you're refering to or a joke?

They're real things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

You have no idea.

Not empty quoting, though I didn't like him much to begin with.