Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I really liked Karsa's development over the length of the series.

Though, my absolute favorite part about Karsa is at the end of HoC, where somebody says something that paraphrases down to "Wait what? Karsa killed a Hound? Why the gently caress would he do that?! ...nevermind. Because he's Karsa, that's why."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I also like the part that goes something like:

quote:

Karsa: 'I've decided that the Malazans are no longer my enemy.'
Tavore: 'I'm relieved.'
Karsa: 'You should be.'

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd read another 10 books just about Kallor's adventures over the ages. Favorite character in the series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Levitate posted:

Did Kallor ever display any actual magical talents? I can't remember. I just remember him being pretty much immortal and a dick and a really good swordsman

"Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They didn't turn his empire to ash; Kallor turned his empire into ash himself as a giant gently caress-you-if-I-can't-have-it-nobody-can gesture to the Elder Gods moving against him, and he used that sacrifice as fuel for his curse.

EDIT: Thinking about it, that's probably also evidence of some kind of magical ability of some sort.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Reapers Gale has more incidents, but the ending of Deadhouse Gates hit me harder than all of those incidents combined.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I read the first book and thought it was okay, but not great. Since I'd gotten the first three from Half-Price Books all at once, I decided to start on Deadhouse Gates to see if it improved. After a chapter or so, I skimmed through it and realized that Whiskeyjack and Dujek weren't in the book and skipped ahead to Memories of Ice. I was hooked at the start of Memories of Ice, in the prologue.

quote:

"I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces upon a field of battle, and yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

EDIT: I went back to Deadhouse Gates afterwards and it is still my favorite book in the series. I was just put off by the perspective change at first.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

amuayse posted:

So when it does come to brute strength, Icarium or Ultor are the top right? But they both have their share of mental problems as well.

It seems to me that this would almost certainly be Caladan Brood. He might not always be the answer to "Who would win in a fight?", but I'm pretty sure he'd take the gold in Malazon weightlifting.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

amuayse posted:

I guess. Kallor's responsbile for 90% of whats happening in the story, and there's nothing really remarkable about him magic or swordfighting wise other than he's very old and knows how to pick fights well.

""I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces upon a field of battle, and yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

Nothing remarkable at all, nope.

Dalmuti posted:

90% of what's happening in the story is happening precisely because kallor does not know how to pick fights well. his reach exceeds his grasp on a near constant basis

"Kallor Eiderann Tes’thesula, each time you rise, you shall then fall. All that you achieve shall turn to dust in your hands. As you have willfully done here, so it shall be in turn visited upon all that you do.’"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I always thought of them as vaguely equivalent until the scene in Reaper's Gale where the two ships meet, where iirc a single Malazan mage annihilates a cadre of Letherii mages like it's nothing. I found it hilarious because I was building up to this big superpower showdown in my head and they just get swatted down like loving flies.

Bonehunters. Quick Ben(with some help) versus the Tiste Edur warlocks, and I don't think he annihilates them as much as he just shows them precisely how much poo poo they just got themselves into.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I was under the impression that it started out as an illusion until Bottle and his friend 'helped' Ben with it, at which point it became rather more than an illusion.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The first book is pretty meh, but #2 and #3 are pretty much completely loving awesome.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Sword that kills gods, that should easily be Dassem Ultors sword Vengeance (?) since he killed Rake .

He killed Rake by striking Rake's guard with so much force that it drove Dragnipur's back edge into Rake's head. That's how Rake got inside Dragnipur to release Mother Dark. Vengeance didn't kill Rake, except indirectly.

Karsa is the first name that comes to mind for a sword that kills Gods; he's done it before, after all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Well, yes, ostensibly, but the fact remains that, no matter what happened, Vengeance didn't kill him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't remember if you hear about who he is before you run into him there, you might not learn that until... Bonehunters, I think? If you want to know, though, he's Urko, the brother of Cartheron Crust, one of Emperor Kellenvad's old companions.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've got a keyboard kindle because I can't stand not having page turn buttons on the side. On my keyboard, I can easily hold a book with just my left hand and still turn pages, but on my paperwhite I've got to do an irritating little reachover to avoid the page-back portion of the screen.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pff. Just go right into Deadhouse Gates. If you dislike that, quit the series because it is not for you.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Habibi posted:

I would never recommend skipping Gardens, and I still think it's a great book a little roughly written (still better than most fantasy writing). But yeah, if you don't like DHG, just quit. It's not the best book in the series, but it's still loving good and features some of the more memorable scenes and pieces and the introduction of some of the best characters.

I recommend just hammering through Gardens without going in-depth. Later, after you've read more of the series, go back and read it again.

I also sometimes recommend going Gardens of the Moon(#1) -> Memories of Ice(#3) -> Deadhouse Gates(#2). That's the order I went in, after going "wtf, no Whiskeyjack and company, this is bullshit" when I started DHG. After MoI blew me the gently caress away("Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."), I was a lot more willing to go back and read about the new character cast in DHG.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The ending of Deadhouse Gates hit me harder than Beak. I think this is because Reaper's Gale was already so full of sad things happening that I sort of blew a fuse midway through and stopped really being affected by it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gardens of the Moon was written about 8-10 years or so before the other books in the series, and it shows. The writing in the other books is much better.

Honestly, I'd skim over Gardens of the Moon. Some of the stuff towards the end, like Raest's release or Rake's fight is awesome. Get acquainted with the characters, appreciate the :black101: stuff at the end, and don't worry if it doesn't all click, you'll be fine in the other books. Reread the book sometime after you've gotten further into the series and GotM will make a lot more sense.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Malazan Empire was founded on the fairly small Malaz Island; it seemed logical to me that their elite troops would be marines.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jerkface posted:

The thing i really like about this series is that there are so many characters its hard to even have a favorite

Kallor Eidermann Tes'thesula

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Don't the Moranth just throw them off of their giant flying birds or whatnot? Not like they can really train them in that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gardens of the Moon was written something like a decade before Erikson wrote the second book; books 2-10 are much better than Gardens of the Moon.

I'd at try the second book, Deadhouse Gates. If you make it to the end of the Chain of Dogs and still don't like it then the series is not for you.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Damo posted:

loving hell god drat poo poo gently caress holy crap Memories of Ice owns so hard.

I read MoI before DG, because I wanted to read more about Whiskeyjack and Dujek and crew, and the intro to Memories of Ice is what hooked me on the series.

quote:

"I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces upon a field of battle, and yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eschatos posted:

I still want to see Leoman and Kallor get their comeuppance.

I think that Kallor's going to end up doing something heroic. "And.... may you one day show your true self. May you, one day, be redeemed in the eyes of the world."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kallor is my favorite character in the entire series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

I really enjoyed the Black Company despite its faults (I feel it improved as the series went on ,but the first three books were really rough)

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. The consensus seems to run the other way around.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eh. Deadhouse Gates is probably the best of the series, IMO. The rest of them are GOOD, but nothing quite matches the Chain of Gods.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sir Bruce posted:

One tension in this that Erikson wants to both use rape/hobbling as a signifier of bad or evil characters and depict societies in various situations of "barbarism" which creates a weird tension where we're never asked to imagine the "good guys" participating in these barbaric acts. .

Generally speaking, "not doing horrible poo poo" is why we call them "good guys".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ethiser posted:

He said that if he met Draconus one of them would die so he is a pretty big force.

Not necessarily. You don't need to be a pretty big force to get killed by Draconus.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Concurred posted:

In Midnight Tides, I find it strange about the Errant how he doesn't come across as the crazy rear end psychopath he's later known for. His involvement in the events near the end don't really portray him in a hugely negative light. His one big dick move is 'pushing' Brys to drink the poisoned wine along with the rest of the Letherii nobles.

Does his interaction with Feather Witch in Reaper's Gale tip him over the edge or something?

For this, we go back to our old friendly storyline map from the OP:

There's a lot of time between those two books, and during that time the Master of the Holds(Errant) begins to feel that he's being replaced by the Master of the Deck(Ganoes Paran).

He does not take it well.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Just wait, it gets loving worse. (DO NOT touch this spoiler unless you've finished at least RG)TRULL :smith:

I literally loving cried.

By the time I got to that part I had blown a sadness fuse in my brain and it was just kind of eh. Peak sadness is the death of Beak.

My peak sadness moment for the whole series, however, is still the Chain of Dogs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

zeal posted:

You just wait till his best moment, towards the end of The Crippled God.

His best moment is at the end of Reaper's Gale.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Aranan posted:

It seemed to me that Karsa Orlong was Erikson thumbing his nose at the noble savage trope

Steven Erikson on Karsa Orlong and the Noble Savage

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

As for the Discworld books, I would say Pratchett is kinda like Erikson ie you don't need to know all the backstories and it is perfectly fine to pick up any book.

That is so absolutely not how Malazan works, though. You can put Gardens of the Moon off until after Deadhouse Gates if you want. You can flip MoI and DG around. But you can't just go "Oh I want to start at Bonehunters"

anilEhilated posted:

Discworld, the first two are totally skippable, the third one is skippable unless you really care about Granny Weatherwax (you should because she's the best character).

You spelled Vimes' name wrong there, fyi.

Also I say to start at either Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms. Guards is the first Watch book and a great starting point, and I feel like Men at Arms is the first 'modern' Discworld book where the story really locks in on Ankh-Morpork. Some of the preceding books are really good, but I think that they're still not as good of an entry point as Men at Arms.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

For those ITT who have not tried Glen Cook, do yourself a favor and do so.

His first three Black Company books are some of the most influential in the genre. Once you read them you'll see the the Black Company everywhere.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you read carefully you'll find Erikson is actually a chubby-chaser. Lots of sexy BBWs from Tattersail in Gardens all the way to the end.

With the way he handles other things, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did that deliberately to break away from convention.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

Toll has one of my favorite badass-on-badass scenes, though:

Kallor being Kallor and Gothos talking down to him like he would a housepet...and Kallor *taking it* rather than escalating.

My favorite scene is Kallor and Spinnock. "And.... may you one day show your true self. May you, one day, be redeemed in the eyes of the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Captain_Person posted:

I finished Memories of Ice a few days ago. I think my cry of KALLOR YOU MOTHERUCKER gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCKER gently caress sums up how I felt pretty accurately. I started tearing up on the bus reading the last chapter and epilogue. Dammit Steven Erikson, I love these books too much to stop, but you aren't making it easy.

I'm nearly 200 pages into House of Chains now and while I'm not fed up with Karsa (holy poo poo Karsa is terrifying) I do miss the Bridgeburners. I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything comes together.

Kallor and Karsa are the best characters in the series.