Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hot. From the upcoming SubPress special edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think it's a given that the artist may have read MoI, but certainly not the whole series.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A few show up here and there in later books, yes. More in ICE's books. Orb, Sceptre, Throne in particular is pretty much entirely about them. IMO It's his best novel, too (haven't read the latest yet though).

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I was quick on the draw and won a free copy of blood and bone from tor.com http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/blood-and-bone-sweepstakes . I didn't want to tell them I have the PSPublishing special edition, heh. It's kinda stuipd that in 2013 we still have staggered regional launches.

Does anyone else collect malazan stuff? I'm pretty stupid and am picking up ARCs, UK and US 1st editions at this point, as well as all the subterranean and PSPublishing specials. His poo poo is surprisingly hard to come by!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
More MoI art hot off the presses!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For malazan novels the conventional wisdom is they're mediocre by comparison (though I quite like them, especially Orb Sceptre Throne). For general fantasy they're considered still way above average.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you're gonna go through them all anyway I recommend Night of Knives before Bonehunters.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I want to reread Tigana but as far as I can tell there's no ebook version. I haven't run in to that since like 2011...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This can bug some readers, but it's ok to be confused by this stuff. Lots of it is not explained, or fuzzy, or related by a character who probably doesn't have it right in the first place.

As for ascendants, I think of them more as people who have grown beyond themselves, in a variety of senses. Maybe they've achieved immortality. Maybe they're an arch-arch magic user. Maybe they've got a cult of worshippers and are somehow feeding off their spritual energy. Maybe they're the epitome of some human aspect like assassination or subterfuge and have come to embody the platonic form of that aspect and transcended mere physicality.

Maybe it's just a label for someone with the ability or potential to affect change on a grand scale.

It's similar with magic and warrens. They're not really explained much, at least early on, and different characters see them differently anyway. Most people keep their head down when magic is being flung back and forth.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ Yeah I don't agree with that at all, but I am in the malazan thread, so :shobon:

Coming to a theatre near you summer '14:

quote:

Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region’s north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor’s tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adventurers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait - hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history’s very beginnings.

Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers that Shimmer, second in command, feels should not be sought. Also heading north, as part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. With him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and cannot remember his past and yet commands far more power than he really should. It is also rumoured that a warrior, bearer of a sword that slays gods and who once fought for the Malazans, is also journeying that way. But far to the south, a woman patiently guards the shore. She awaits both allies and enemies. She is Silverfox, newly incarnate Summoner of the undying army of the T’lan Imass, and she will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, Assail brings the epic story of the Empire of Malaz to a thrilling close.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/the-complete-malazan-series

More expensive than getting them individually, but :drat:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it was $83 at the time I posted. Looks like amazon has done its usual thing.

I think it's Tattersail too or maybe Sorry, but a chubby chick wouldn't sell is probably what they were thinking.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sub press House of Chains went up. New artist too.

Someone + Deragoth?

??

Some Andii??

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My wife wrote that service, actually. If you have highlights or other annotations, possibly even bookmarks or a last page read value I can't remember, then they won't autoupdate since it is very difficult to maintain their locations as the book length can possibly change.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Quinton posted:

The "turn on auto-update" page warned that you should have annotations backup enabled on all your devices and seemed to imply at least you wouldn't lose your annotations and such if so. I'll still take loss of highlights over fixed OCR or transcription errors any day of the week. That stuff is just so jarring.

Does she have any idea what the deal with the report-content-error highlight feature is? I was really excited when they finally added that, reported a whole pile of issues, which then seem to just sit and rot. Wouldn't surprise me if they get forwarded to the publishers who then ignore them or suchlike.

yeah I think that's exactly what happens :( ditto with the, less frequent these days, "let the publisher know you'd like to see this in ebook form" button. I'm astounded they don't put you on a list and email you when a title you showed interest in eventually is published. It's like, instant customer!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be really cool to see the old 80s gurps character sheets for some of these guys. On the other hand, I never understood this weird dbz who would win in a fight and who is stronger comparisons tha talways seem to pop up when discussing malazan stuff.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really don't get the hate for Gardens. Or the confusion with it. Granted it was like a decade ago now but when I read it the first time I recall being sucked in immediately and rolling with the (lack) of explanations. I've talked to other people who had trouble starting the series and I've never understood them I guess. Maybe that sounds smug I don't know.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region’s north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor’s tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adventurers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait - hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history’s very beginnings.

Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers that Shimmer, second in command, feels should not be sought. Also heading north, as part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. With him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and cannot remember his past and yet commands far more power than he really should. It is also rumoured that a warrior, bearer of a sword that slays gods and who once fought for the Malazans, is also journeying that way. But far to the south, a woman patiently guards the shore. She awaits both allies and enemies. She is Silverfox, newly incarnate Summoner of the undying army of the T’lan Imass, and she will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, Assail brings the epic story of the Empire of Malaz to a thrilling close.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

We don't know, that is the whole story of it.
We know that Silverfox and the T'lan Imass went there after memories of Ice since apparently 2 T'lan Imass armies have been all but obliterated there.
We know that the Crimson Guard, and more specifically Iron Bars have been there and not had a good time.
It seems like a place that have seen massive actions that have scarred numerous powerful groups and individuals.
The general reaction to characters coming out of the continent have been: "gently caress you were there and you survived?".
All in all, the continent seems like a hot bed for conflict and it is going to get worse with all ascendants going there now.
Hopefully we will get more information on Dassem Ultor, who haven't been covered that much in the main series. Also on Fisher, and I expect the Jaghut to make an appearance.
I'm so hyped about this.

Well we know pretty much what happens to Dassem from earlier Esslemont books (OST specifically. BTW probably my favourite of ICE's story arcs). And from the blurb above 'sword that kills gods' tells me Karsa is going to be involved here too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Who changed the thread title? :respek:

I don't recall what the OP says, but I remember disagreeing with the TOR schedule that did NoK immediately after Gardens. You don't even know enough about what's going on to appreciate what you're learning, and you will have forgotten half of what's in it by the time the crossover storylines in the Bonehunters come up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lofty132 posted:

Is it worth reading FoD? Just reread the whole 10 books, even better the second time round.

No, after reading 20x one thousand pages you are surely not invested enough in the series to bother learning about its underpinnings, or anything else by the author for that matter.

e: :v:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it was incompetence, it was that her early paranoia and the consequences of the necessary purge after her ascending the throne caused her to reject the old guard, which left her with very little power base. The nobility would prefer going back to pre-malazan balkanism, the claw as we see are turned against her, the talons don't care for her, she wasn't able to endear herself to the populace, tayschrenn and the underground mages were at best indifferent and at worst hostile, and she had to send the armies off continuously to keep them occupied.

Also she seems lovely because she is always in direct comparison to Kellanved, the most canny person of the age, who could rely on dassem, the logros, and dancer too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Blood and Bone myself yesterday actually.

I still think OST is his best book. I agree there was a lot of interminable slogging through jungle. The Osserc storyline was pretty inscrutable too. I didn't feel bored at all though, but there could definitely have been more revelation or closure at the end. Eh I won't bore you with a book report. It was a par ICE book.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Story wise, yeah. I think his writing was better, from a technical perspective, in BnB.

Yup exactly. I noticed too he has his pet words like Erikson's turgid: Cyclopean

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The digital versions have been revised at least twice. For example GotM got a new pass probably taken from the 10th anniversary reissue.

My wife worked on the kindle and when it released there was basically no selection at all. I remember when there weren't even kindle editions of any Erikson work :grandpa:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I don't know for sure, but if you have annotations on a copy you've downloaded (even last page read iirc) it won't overwrite with a new one since the locations could all get offset.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Abalieno posted:

That's actually the old one :)

GotM has two versions on paper, the original UK, which was used for 10th anniversary too, and a revised one for Tor.

lol, figures. What's the difference? Re typeset for the print edition and new OCR for the ebook?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson and Esslemont use a boutique UK publishing house for most of their stuff and they usually get it first. It's generally p expensive and now that tor is catching up with publishing them only really geared for collectors.

But yes, it's been out since 06/2012 technically

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yessssss

e:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
1) Fiddler, Quick Ben, Whiskeyjack, Kalam

2) Apsalar, Ganoes Paran, Hedge, Trotts, Mallet

3) Kallor, Caladan Brood, Envy/Spite

4) Gesler & Stormy

5) Tool, Karsa, Icarium

6) Annomandaris, Andarist, Silchas Ruin

7) Rallick Nom, Coll, Cutter, Kruppe, Murrilio

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ICE's Assail got pushed back till August 5th, but they have posted the prologue here. It features everyone's favourite, Kyle. He even gets a proper malazan name!

I counted four copyediting mistakes so hopefully there'll be a spell of that before it's actually published. Other than that p good!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Abalieno posted:

If you are in contact with the high spheres, tell them that having an old parody excerpt on Tor.com isn't helping making this look like a "serious" book.

If it's a serious book. Erikson recently said he believed quite a bit on this, and that it wasn't parody at all, yet that original Willful Child was JUST very silly parody all around.

It is most assuredly not serious. I'm about half way through and it's actually quite absurdist. References to AHL era Winnipeg Jets players, waterboarding, aliens wielding clubs that are just other club shaped aliens, you name it.

He said in a recent interview he wrote it in 3 weeks also.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Erikson is actually slowing down:

se posted:

Sorry for the delay. I am just back from MisCon (Missoula, Montana), and am about to take a genuine vacation for the first time in over a decade (to Italy) for the month of June. Yes, I know, what’s with a vacation in the middle of writing a novel (Fall of Light)? Well, the original plan was to finish that novel before taking a full year off, but life got in the way of that. Upon returning in July, I will be bearing down and finishing Fall of Light for a November delivery date. The simple truth is, I need this break. It’s been nonstop for quite a while now and the battery’s run low. Granted, I took three weeks off to write ‘Willful Child,’ which comes out in November and may have a US tour attached to it, but that novel had been gnawing my ankles for almost ten years, and I just needed to get it done. By way of teaser, I am fairly sure that ‘Willful Child’ will offend almost everybody. But in a good way. I hope.

Yes, it does seem like a long dry-spell, but recall, my SF novel is coming out in November. Also, that dry-spell relates only to your side of things. Fall of Light, when I get to writing on it, is not in any way blocked. Rather, I’m finding that I am taking much more time on the language than I used to. It may be that my creative engine is slowing down, and what once came easily now doesn’t; or it may be that I am actually doing something different in the creative process, something that I haven’t yet pinned down, but demands a more measured approach. Either way, I can’t afford to sweat it, or work myself into a panic. I’m pleased enough with what I’ve written (mind you, I was pleased with Forge of Darkness too, and its reception was quiet, with nary a notice or nomination in any Fantasy awards, etc—I can only conclude that something fundamental is eliminating my novels from consideration, but damned if I know what that might be—but even here, I can only shrug and continue on my way. External validation is a weird thing: as authors we seek it, even as we deny its importance, and from all that back-and-forth stuff we have no choice but to ignore its absence, if only to sustain the self-faith necessary to actually write).

Also the back cover says he's in the prairies again but I thought he lives in Victoria now?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It gets covered in the Esslemont books. Most directly in Orb Sceptre Throne (which is imo his best). The blue naval maranth have a bit in Stonewielder as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Phone posting so I can't really do a whole review, by I finished willful child. It was fun, though I'm not sure you can make a whole series out if it which is what it's looking like.

If anyone else wants a read an ARC went up on eBay today: xxx

edit: Whoops looks like that's not true and my rss reader hosed up. :(

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm about halfway through Assail and I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely an Esslemont book so far in plot and writing goes. I enjoyed Blood and Bone a great deal despite what I felt was an unsatisfying conclusion and so far Assail has been at least as good as that one. ICE learned some lessons from the Jacuruku characters he came up with; the new cast members in this one all either have interesting things to do or are hanging out with other interesting characters. Nobody is as bland as the random guys from Stoneweilder. Speaking of that one it's nice that the Assail plot adds some follow-up to the events at the end of Stoneweilder, which didn't make it into OST or B&B.

I got a good laugh out of discovering early on that Kyle's birth name is Kylarral-Ten. ICE must have heard all the bitching over his too-normal name.

Yeah I just finished it today. Mechanically, it's still a bit unbalanced with a fair amount of just travelling place to place. Other ICE hallmarks remain, like the semi-oblivious character (Jute) who represents the reader while the more knowledgeable characters are tightlipped. Cyclopean count: 0, Turgid count: 1 :v:.

I agree though that each of the storyline characters was interesting this time. I think I liked Orman's the most and Silverfox the least, and it was interesting seeing as each sort of retraced the steps of the previous on their way in. If I went to this straight from ICE she would be a letdown I think.

I'm not sure how I feel about the conclusion to the arc. I felt the closure with Traveller was done very well in OST. The Guard ending was cool, but no payoff could cover the debt of what, 4 main books and many more tangential ones? Jethis, I don't know. I don't even want to talk about it for a while till more people are caught up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All that mystery and difficulty and such is overblown. Just go with the flow and enjoy! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Willful child is good, btw

Also this rules http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willful-Chi...S:B:SHOP:US:101