Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

snoremac posted:

One thing about Erikson's prose that makes me groan is how he repeats a statement to emphasize its emotional power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

lostara and henar vygulf is a beautiful story, Hood take you

It also tracks with how widowers tend to react emotionally to their partner's death. Of the 'sudden pairings' in TMBotF that's one I would hesitate to criticize.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

A persistent motif in this books is some ancient gribbly showing up and getting clowned on by the modern denizens of the world, and Yedan Deryg slots right into that.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

(Midnight Tides) Seren Padac's is the one that stands out to me as unnecessary, I don't think you really need it to underline how much despair she's in after Buruk kills himself and the war begins, I don't think you need it in order to establish that she can use Mockra, and I really don't think you need to pump up how great and noble Iron Bars and Corlo are, especially because I don't think they show up again in the main series. (On the other hand, maybe that's why you need it.) I don't know that the trope is overused across the series compared to the other flavors of atrocity he uses (although I haven't done the math and could absolutely be convinced) but at least he doesn't use it in a prurient way.

I just finished MT, fittingly enough; this is my third time through the series and it really does read better when you have an idea of when things happen and what the overall structure of the books are, especially because MT is when I feel like the books get less self-contained and more plot threads feel like they're setting up stuff for future books.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2021

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

I think i'ts over-used as a means to add "depth and character" to female characters, even though SE is better talking about it than much of the genre...that's a really really low bar to get over.

Yeah, absolutely, grading on a curve means Erikson stands out from the crowd. Even so, he's got a pattern with the trope where the victim is rarely the one who takes retribution. To be fair this fits with the rest of the series, where victims of all types of cruelty are rarely the ones who get to retaliate against the perpetrators, if the perpetrators even face consequences at all (Mallick Rel you motherfucker) but because that's already a pattern with sexual assault specifically in all types of media, where it's a tragic backstory for a woman but ultimately character development for a man, it grates more than, say, the end of the Chain of Dogs or (Reaper's Gale) Quick Ben taking out Sirryn Kanar).

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am so bad at it that I am not sure I am pronouncing Beak and Fiddler right.

Bee-ahk

Fithler

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

TGG posted:

Paran is one of the weirdest characters in the series, they make sense but in the MOST confusing possible way. I like them but they are best in Memories of Ice and after that they kinda fall off.

Remembering how much I like that character may inspire me to pick up Toll the Hounds again after falling off a while back through my latest series readthrough (I don't think TtH is bad or anything but if you've read it before you know you have a lot of bad poo poo happening to characters you like to look forward to before you can put it down and move on to the finale).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

She's also in literally the first scene in the series talking with Whiskeyjack and Ganoes on the balcony as well as I think a couple of other scenes throughout.