Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I can't stand all these TCG spoilers, I'm going to lock myself in a room tomorrow and finish it (halfway through).

edit: Though seeing (early TCG) Ruthan Gudd still alive made me fistpump irl. Although in my copy he was "Rudd" for one page.

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Junk Science posted:

Reading Malazan and then moving on to The Wise Man's Fear has been really jarring. I enjoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, but now it just seems like young adult fiction. You can really tell that Rothfuss doesn't have anywhere near the life experience of someone like Erikson.

Granted, the writing is fluid and a lot of his ideas are great, but it's funny to me when he tries to describe hardship or pain. Rothfuss spent nine years going to school in central Wisconsin; he doesn't have any idea what the world is like beyond ramen and textbooks, and it shows. It doesn't help that Kvothe is such an unlikable Mary Sue....

I'm about 40% through of The Wise Man's Fear as an audiobook and it's been quite like the first one. Bad decisions: the novel. It helps that I really like the guy reading it and that the ideas are kinda cool and novel, but I just continually facepalm like I did with the first book. Stop doing so loving stupid poo poo, ok? Also just loving go and buy a pair of gloves and a hat. And a new shirt. It's impossible that it would be too expensive with all the money you spend on useless poo poo every single chapter.

I've almost completely forgotten the first book but why don't his friends you know, like help him with money a bit? Is it just that he's too loving proud to receive monetary aid? I don't want to go to the Rothfuss thread because I'm not sure about the spoiler policy there, so forgive me. (end derail)

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
Re: Raging about Kyle

Not a spoiler: A Dance with Dragons has a Cletus. Just think about that.
(I kept on thinking about Cletus van Damme.)

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My take on Erikson was always that he expects you've read all his books at all times. When you read book 1, he expects you're read books 2-10, kinda.

I love this comment, and it's exactly how it is. It was a wild ride but I enjoyed every page of it, but it's not for everyone.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I'm doing my second reread just by reading the reread. It's quite nice actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Masonity posted:

My bet for Draconus's son is one of Quick Ben's souls. I think his new Tiste girlfriend is also likely to be a soul. It explains how come he refers to Mother Dark as "Mother" and Draconus as "Father" at the Spar of Andii.

Duh, it's obviously Neffarias Bredd.