Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Karsa becomes Conan the Barbarian but like the traditional one who is crafty as gently caress and ready to just rock the poo poo out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Karsa's whole arc as a character is really one of the best bits of fantasy I think I've read. Damned entertaining and shockingly affecting, I'd love to be able to relive my first read of the series and I always read this thread and get jealous of the first timers.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I have no idea how to feel about FoD, on my first read I made it like half of the way through it and hated most of it. Last month I was thinking about it and decided to start fresh and go through it again and I finished it in a day and a half loving most of it. So really I have no loving idea what to think of that book other than that it is better than TtH.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Potsherds is the only other one I can come up with off hand. Definitely got most of them!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Hood, for all that he is a fun guy and interesting character, has one thing always hanging over him. If he is hosed with, or if something is taken from him, he will do everything in his power to rectify the situation. That is his entire character arc and he sadly knows this and is just dealing with it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
He is a pretty mellow guy at the end of things, the dude likes cats.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Calm down people.

I've always viewed the series as a narrative that you just see bit by bit. However it works, I always view each chapter as just a new random highlight from something I might remember and I just roll with it like that. When it ends up coming together and you start seeing how it's all set up it becomes an entirely different affair. It's like the average fantasy setup and no one cares or should care and it doesn't matter but oh poo poo the lore is weird and wait does he build the houses or wait what's a god in this and oh poo poo that was that tree and drat that's why that dude was there and oh gently caress THATS the ship and gently caress he's that guy|? so wait if he was there that means the she set that up so that he'd be there so gently caress was she the one who made sure that..............

It can be a bit tedious.

I love it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Crazy child who misses his daddy pretty much sums him up.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It is so strange rereading the series and realizing that Laseen is completely a non entity who believes herself a protagonist. She is nigh on absent and yet so much is said about her influence and work.

When it turns out the absent non entity bit is true and that her "influence" was full quotes, it throws so much of your views on the books into chaos. I truly enjoy the lack of truth in the series, anyone and everything is viewed through someone else and important people turning out to be is nothing is charmingly effective..

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Possibly just my reading of it but the few times she truly shows up in person, she is constantly just worn down and fighting with what she has actually achieved; which seems to be fairly little. Kellanved and Dancer played her HARD and she is just trying to ride it out best she can. In other viewpoints, the rank and file, the random politicians? She is made out to be this competent schemer who is probably running everything behind the scenes and in the end she is just a prop who dies offscreen.

It just comes down to point of view and that's something I like most in the series.

TGG fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 28, 2022

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The difference between the two comes down to which story lines you are more invested in. I was fine with the weird slow insanity that was Toll the Hounds but I sure as hell wouldn't say it's a favorite book of mine. DoD gets back to the continent and story line you came from in Reaper's so if you dug that, it's more of the same including a few characters you've heard a ton about but just start to see proper. It also has some premium set pieces

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Malazan is such a fun series because pretty much everyone I know who has read the series has a different favorite book. I'm a Midnight Tides guy myself, my closest friend hated it but he comfortably has House of Chains as his favorite. My gal likes Deadhouse most, my reading group has essentially all settled on Reaper's Gale and my pops is full in on MoI. Sadly none of them liked Toll. I loved the ending but I just never dug Darujhistan that much.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
God drat Midnight Tides is some high tier fantasy. I got into it immediately and it couldve been twice as long and I would still love every second of it. Deadhouse Gates and Memories work it out quality wise but I feel like midnight tides is the one that hit me most.

TGG fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 12, 2022

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Paran is one of the weirdest characters in the series, they make sense but in the MOST confusing possible way. I like them but they are best in Memories of Ice and after that they kinda fall off.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Best to know that while Gardens is an entertaining book, it is not at all close to the rest of the series. Take your time, but know that Deadhouse Gates is some prime fantasy and could be read without Gardens if need be. It crushes.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kruppe is kind of a Tom Bumbling-odil, in that he's extremely powerful in his very narrowly defined area. He's described as "having a Deck of Dragons" in his head, and dream magic suggests a very strange relationship to Warrens, maybe even his own personal warren. And the climax of Gardens relies a lot on his powers. I never read that as K'Rul lending him power - as in GotM K'Rul is only just waking up and probably isn't very strong at that point.

I like his Bonehunter's appearance more than MoI. Erikson nails that feeling of a dude who's been on loads of adventures and stuff off-screen, but he's not our protagonist anymore so we don't get to see it.

Heck, some of Erikson's best character work is for people like him, where we don't get to see inside their head and instead both the reader and other characters are left speculating as to what's they really want. Like with Lasseen, Tavore, Rake etc.

Ha, I do love some of his offshoot characters. Fear is a fantastic little character who not a soul will know fully. Characters like Pearl appear and vanish with a feeling like you might understand them or might not? What the gently caress is Korbal Broach?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
My boy in TTH who gets brute Merc'd by Kallor was solid as poo poo too.

TGG fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 30, 2023

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I don't really want to read a book about a character being the most perfect yet misunderstood awesome dude in existence. The second book has him as a virgin who manages to super bang and pseudo-enslave the goddess of sex, he becomes a super ninja master, bangs his aunt and somehow nothing happens in that lovely lovely book. gently caress Rothfuss.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It's the chick who trains him in the super sexy awesome female only ninja school that he joins after an apparently awesome pirate story we never see.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Mappo and Icarium are just kind of around, I mean that in a good way, Icarium exists as a sort of nexus point for crazy ascendant poo poo. His story is deep as gently caress but it doesn't matter that much in the scheme of things until it does.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm a Midnight Tides/Reaper's Gale guy myself, give me that sweet sweet Letheras.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

imagine dungeons posted:

Korbal Broach and Bauchelain are awesome.

I am with you 10000%, drat they are fun characters.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The ending of TTH is fantastic but drat there is a pile of poo poo to slog through. It's a book with like 15 different plots going on and at the end it turns out only 2 kind of a little bit maybe might matter.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Cryptozoology posted:

Toll the Hounds has a fuckton of certified original gangster Kallor the High King, slaps therefore.

The whole Kallor death march poo poo was loving metal as hell. KALLOR

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The Watch is so good; for all the credit Sanderson gets for having awesome fight finales, Erikson has some crushers.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

pik_d posted:

I've just started reading this series, after going through The Wheel of Time and then all of the Cosmere, so I guess I needed another mega series after those two. I picked up the 10 main books from the Humble Bundle a few months ago, and I plan to read through those before the other in-universe series.

I've only read two chapters of Gardens of the Moon, but so far Ganoes is a bit of a little poo poo. Seems like he's lacking a bit of self preservation and is pretty OK with picking dumb fights with everyone who shows up.

Tattersail on the other hand, had a terrible horrible no good very bad day. She got sent on a suicide mission, lost her boyfriend, and is now teaming up with the office dickhead who is also now a puppet???

I haven't quite figured out if I'm expected to like the Empress. She remembers a weird little meeting with Ganoes from like seven years ago, humanizing her, but also she's cool with a pogrom of any magic users that aren't under her control which is probably not great.

Overall interesting so far, curious to see where it's going, especially since I've already had two timeskips early on.

I love these first views so much. It is so difficult to think back on how I felt about anything on my first read of the books as I've read the drat things twice now.

Get ready for a ride. Everything has at least a little bit of meaning, even if it doesn't pay off for 6 books. When you get the reference, it turns out you were wrong until it turns out the character who referenced it was lying and you might be right!

This is not the Cosmere. Sanderson and Erikson are casual friends and as Sanderson has said to me, they have completely different approaches. Erikson writes everything from an archaeological prospective and assumes no "true" view. Sanderson has a bit of a "math" to his stuff and has it laid out like a game of Magic. Dig in for Malazan; because Gardens of the Moon is going to feel quite removed from the rest of what you read. Realize that the series is going to be dense for the characters as well. No matter how you view Gardens, I think Deadhouse Gates is an all time fantasy novel. This is a series where you can just start with book 4 or 5 and do whatever. It is insane and just roll with it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Deadhouse Gates is a fantastic "Books"

It goes places.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah it's easy to get stuck in the head of your favorite characters. The whole poo poo just happens and at the end only one person actually wrote the book and they are the fallen.

It ends well.

TGG fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I always liked that bit of Malazan that just acknowledges that there is a bit of the world that can just Ascend into being magic immortals simply by being badass.