Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

There is nothing to support this and no reason to think so.

Isn't there a quote in ICE's books that says there are "two races on the verge of ascendancy..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We meet the top 10 (and others) Seguleh in one of Esselmonts books.

The books aren't top notch, but if you havent read them, you should simply because it's in the same universe.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cardiac posted:

You want to read Orb, Sceptre, Throne, where the Seguleh is elaborated on.
Not to spoil anything, but they are hardly ascendants and in some ways definite technophobes.

This is the book where they said that the Moranth and the Seguleh were two races on the verge of Ascendacy So I'm not sure where you get that...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

You have the exact passage?

No, I dont have the passage. I'm not even sure it was in OST anymore. I'm googling and cant find anything.

It was just an offhand comment by someone saying something like "Holy gently caress these two races are on the verge of ascending"

Edit: and since I only have paperbacks, I am unable to search :(

Edit2: With Rake and the Seguleh there was someone who said he had to run away into a warren because they kept coming at him and wouldnt let him catch his breath.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 3, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

Are you thinking of when Karsa and Icarium squared up in the desert, because it was Mappo that clocked Icarium from behind?

No, Icarium gets knocked out by Karsa. Mappo then hits Karsa from behind.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

the least weasel posted:

This character has always been difficult for me because in Swedish his name is scrotum. :(

I'm pretty sure that wasn't an accident.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It was an illusion, he was hosed if they pressed the attack and he even admits it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Bottle helped make it look more real, but it was still an illusion.

Quick Ben says:
'That was a Hood-damned illusion. Thank the gods cowering in their outhouses right now that the idiots swallowed the hook – but listen, it wasn't just that. I had help. And then I had help!'

And Bottle had to go clean up because the Eres'al or whatever made him cream himself and it was her that was helping I think.

Edit: Rereading it seems to say that it started as an illusion, but then became something extra when he got the 2nd helper. He never goes on about what because he has to talk to the Adjunct.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 19, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
There are a few 'normal peasants' that we meet that are from Assail that are also very badass.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Kyle is the 'peasant,' but Stalker/Coots/Badlands are also from there but are from more of a military background so that shows why they can stand toe to toe or shoulder to shoulder with Avowed and not bat an eyelash

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The dude with the T-Rex skeleton that can punch hard enough to put Karsa down?

You will figure it out in a couple more books...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Not many people that you know personally become gods.

I would think that the idea is so outlandish, so insane, that no one really believed it could be done.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

Also, how did she manage to lose the Moranth's support?

Everyone who signed the contract with the Moranth was dead. No one alive to honor the contract with, no reason to stick around.

Orb, scepters throne sorta spoiler.
And then they realize someone is alive to honor the contract in Orb, Scepter, Throne

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 15, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jose posted:

I realise its my fault for reading spoilers and having not read ICE's books but mind giving a heads up .

Will edit my post, but it's not exactly a secret throughout the series. Even Eriksons books say it. Esselmonts book just shows it in detail.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Apsalar, again hands down. I don't remember anything Lostara Yil did that was particularly impressive. As the OP says, though: there are too many wor'ds, so I may be forgetting something.

Lostra was the one who killed a bunch of short tails when they busted through the heavies. It was described as a 'Mist of blood' by the guy who was laying on he ground wounded. I think that was it anyway.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Seguleh are not ascendants.
Well, except for Rake then, but that was more by accident.

OST Spoiler
The entire race is on the verge of ascendancy. Moranth too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC this is in the mundane sense, not the Malazan sense.

On another retread, and the exact quote was posted on page 106 I think... Yeah, I guess it meant two races that are on the upswing to awesomeness and not two immortal races.

Huh. Well gently caress.

Edit: but saying 'ascendants' is not capitalized means he meant it in the normal way rather than the almost-god way is a bullshit answer.

Take Silchas in Reapers Gale... "Understand me, Fear Sengar. I will not countenance freeing the soul of Scabandri Bloodeye. This world has enough reprehensible ascendants."

Does that also mean that Bloodeye, who was almost a god, was merely a dude on the upward swing of his career just because the 'a' is not capitalized? I guess I am still not convinced that the entire moranth and Seguleh races are not about to ascend.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 14, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am really bad at this.

Gesler and Stormy in one pic with no one else?

A T'lan Mass which might be anyone (Tool I guess). Is that supposed to be Karsa next to him with a chain on his arm? Maybe Icarium on the right?

Drizz't Do'unden or whatever his name is.

Then the last picture there is a short one which I am guessing is Kruppe?

Edit: That's seriously all I can get. I'm on reread number 4 too. What the gently caress. The girls with knives could be anyone, and the top dude on the right is probably Kalem but I dont know why he has light sabers.

Dude with the hammer might be Barathol? But he doesnt use a hammer. Wait, is that supposed to be Brood?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 26, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Toc the Younger has too many eyes.

This is hilarious, and such a dumb thing to say.

I dont think the guy who posted the list googled "one eyed actors." Pretty sure he assumed a bit of makeup and/or an eyepatch would be used rather than to find a legit one-eyed actor.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I could never get into the necromancers. I own and read the trilogy thing. I didn't read the last one which according to this thread was a meta-joke or some bullshit about breaking the fourth wall... but all that aside: they are just kind of boring.. I don't know what it is, but Mancy is just a kind of dull character to me. If he really wanted to die, stepping next to Gruntle would have been easy enough.

On a completely different note; I think this series broke me for fantasy. I can't seem to get into anything and am currently reading Druss The Legend because I finished the Waylander books again. I just don't want to think for a while when I read.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm about halfway through Assail and I'm enjoying it so far.

Didn't even know it was out. Thanks! Ordered it a minute ago.

Despite how much I bitch about ICE's writing, I can't get enough of this universe so I buy everything and read it all multiple times.

VVV Yes, use spoilers please.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
About halfway done Assail and I have to say that I am enjoying it. The mystery-man doesn't show up for a while, so it's a refreshing change from the "here is a mystery person for 200 pages when you all knew who it was on page 1" thing he does.

The writing continues to improve, the storyline is interesting except for the crimson guard again. So far anyway; maybe they will step up and stop being so boring.

This is not a spoiler:
I really enjoyed the 4-warships all hanging out with each other and the adventure through the narrows. The best of all the nations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I really dislike the odd things Esselmont does. A Crimson Guardsman didn't eat for a week and the leader says "It's inhuman!"

What? No it's not, you didn't eat for about a month in the previous book you stupid gently caress.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Doesn't he specifically say "mother dark gave me the name son of darkness" ??

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Son of Darkness is just a title, like King of Chains. Anomander Rake wasn't literally the son of Mother Dark, he was just her appointed champion.

Exactly. Rake was the son of darkness, not the card player dude whose name I can't scroll down and see because I am on phone.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Plus the Malazan universe has a huge boner for Rake.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Anomandaris posted:

- The continent of Assail. When Lanas Tog showed up in MoI I felt awed that human tyrants could slay so many T'lan Imass. So it was all a lie... I wonder if that was the initial plan or just something that came up later. The truth was really disappointing.

By this point I dread the next ICE book (but I'll probably buy it anyway as I love the Malazan world). SE would better hurry with Fall of Light.

As to the first point, I agree 100%. That was such a letdown. "Human tyrants" were what was said in Memories of Ice by that T'lan Imass, then we get there and it's not humans at all? Why was it changed, or did the first Imass in MoI not understand what was doing the killing? Either way, it was a letdown. Maybe we just haven't seen all of the continent yet?

I'm with you in the next point. I dont really want to read it, but I know drat well I will.

I did enjoy Kyle's travel diary for a while, then he met back up with old pals and it got a lot dumber.

For me the initial part of the book with the 4-boats all hanging out together and escaping the channel was interesting, and then they got on land and it just got boring again.

Also: Who was it in this thread that had a huge theory about Assail and continents of ghosts that continue to get reanimated into armies that never are allowed to rest or something? That was an interesting read, and then we get the book about Assail and it's the most bland 'blah blah blah' poo poo ever. :(

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 21, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Anomandaris posted:

We saw everything as far as I understand. Silverfox muses at one point that Lanas Tog just lied. There are no human tyrants. Whether this was SE's intention when he wrote that or ICE just retconned it is anybody's guess. Probably the latter. Maybe he didn't want to go with the human tyrants path since Jacuruku was mostly that? Anyway it makes no sense that Lanas Tog's Imass spent hundreds (thousands?) of years just doing nothing. As written the Jaghut were no match for them since it was basically just one full-blooded matriarch and some weak descendants. The T'lan could have wiped the whole continent clean without asking for help from Silverfox, so why didn't they?

So there are 2 possibilities:

1)Lanas Tog lied, and was just the only T'lan that reached Assail and was just coming back for reinforcements so they could head there together and wipe the continent which from what we saw was mostly desolate and only had isolated tribes which would have been very easy to destroy with a few thousand I'mass?

or the much more dumb and 'I hate ICE' thought of

2) ICE decided to write whatever the gently caress he felt like because he thought it would be interesting and none of it was what Erikson had hinted at (which was hinted at mysterious and cool).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So, I just finished Midnight Tides and decided to try Night of Knives before jumping into Bonehunters...I can't read it. I don't know what it is, but the writing just puts me off. Is there anything in the book that's actually relevant, or can I just read a plot synopsis and forget about it?

You don't even need that. Just skip it altogether. The 'mystery man' that you meet is unimportant Kiska's plotline goes nowhere.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Baudin posted:

Apparently I'm the only person in this thread that actually enjoys Assail. Picked it up about 2 days ago and I'm about 400 pages in. The gold rush setting is entertaining, seems pretty much based on historical gold rushes and keeps me interested. Then again I've more or less enjoyed all of ICE's books so far. Poor taste I assume

This was me. I enjoyed it during the first 3/4 of my read and then I realized 'this is it? Assail is a bunch of pussies.' It was hyped up to be a huge thing and ended up 150 Imass cleared the loving continent.

Now I think about it and get angry.

Also the people debating if jethiss is rake, we are talking about an author who didn't tell us Kallors name for 300 pages when we already knew it was him during the loving prologue

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

Leoman as well.

This is the first time in history Leoman has been called 'cool' and not 'boring and a waste of my time to read'

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What was interesting about him in Bonehunters? Maybe I'm misremembering, but he was basically some faceless guy that you never really interact with right? He doesn't really do anything directly but is a commander that you never hear much about other than what the lucky guy says and thinks. Then he just jumps through a gate and disappears without doing much to end his arc.

Edit: Oh thats right. He's with the desert group and you see him a bit there. Maybe it's just me but he never grabbed me as an interesting character.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 9, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Did anyone ever figure out why the tall-many-jointed-people are scared of humans in turtle shell armor?

It just seems so... dumb. They can't punch through turtle shell but have no problem punching the skull in on a toblaki?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It's pretty easy to tell which characters were played by ICE and Esselmont in their D&D game. All the cool ones who know way more than everyone else (kalem, Karsa, quick, paran, fiddler, cotillion and the rope and a dozen others).

But yeah, that's just part of the series.

Edit:
VVVV I agree with you. One author writes well, the other is 7th grade fan fiction. Of course it's different. It's like reading a Gemmel story about Druss versus Tehol and Bugg. One is readable and rereadable, the other is barely skim worthy.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Ah right right, but as for Assail didn't that Imass lady in MoI say they were getting blowed up fighting a human tyrant on Assail? Is this person ever going to show up? I expected some crazy poo poo but it seems like Assail is a pretty normal place overall. Nothing that I would think over 40k Imass would perish in.

I want a novel about the mage trio :(

The Imass lied. Yes, that is the real explanation. There never was a human army chewing them up, it was all bullshit and the entire continent of Assail is comprised of a hugely watered down badass race that are humans for all intents and purposes.

God I hate that book in retrospect.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

Is it bad that I'm nearly done with TCG in book form, and I'm debating taking up the audiobooks to reread them almost immediately after I finish it?

Welcome to the club.

Tool as an Imass gets his bones cut up pretty fuckin bad by the 2nd Seguleh, so unsure why people think he is so super good. The world moved on, that's part of the point of the books.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

So what were you guys thinking would happen in Assail before reading it?
I was hoping for some sort of empire of incredibly badass Moranth or Seguleh tier humans led by Jaghut Tyrants with some Forkrul Assail kicking around. The T'lan Imass would then actually have to be careful for once instead of just murdering and then dusting off.

There was a post a long time ago that I can't seem to find. Maybe it was linked from the Malazan forums or something.

The gist of it was that there were ghost armies on Assail being ressurected or some poo poo time and again, and the whole thing was just a game to some ultra powerful mages and/or ultra powerful races. Just huge armies of people being forced to slaughter each other, ressurecting, then doing it again.

It was a really neat idea and I wish the book had been about that.

One of the Lost Brothers mentions something about ghosts and how it's 'just like home' but we haven't seen any ghosts on Assail, and that was a part of the reasoning behind the big post.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

I may misreading this, because we do see a bunch of ghosts on Assail?

I genuinely don't remember this.

There was one that met the dude with the heat-seeking spear and pointed in a direction right? There were others?

Edit: Found part of the post here

quote:

So, my guess... once upon a time Jaghut Tyrants went to war with Forkul Assail, and that war encompassed an entire continent of peoples. Jaghut's can jump souls. FA's are nearly immortal, and both have access to some powerful mojo. End result: armies of insane fanatics who keep fighting as ghosts even after they die, and who can get new bodies, all run by tyrants who no longer care how they win or lose or who suffers in the deal so long as the game continues. And something like an invading army of Crimson Guard, Tlan Imass or an Andii agent is just an interesting distraction.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 30, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why the tall-many-jointed-people are scared of humans in turtle shell armor?

It just seems so... dumb. They can't punch through turtle shell but have no problem punching the skull in on a toblaki?

Quoting myself from page 128. I was just rereading the series again and could the answer to why turtle shells are great armor against the Forkrul Assail is simply the noise? Spax walking around the queen is continuously mentioned with how loud it is. If they can't hear, it takes away the assails voice power right? Ganeos did it with cotton in his ears at one point for fucks sake. It may not be about un-punchability and more to do with their Voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
He needed to show the readers just what length people would go to please this plain looking ordinary woman who has no special gift and no commanding presence. No, there's no reason, it's pointless and dumb. I am at the same point in my reread right now and it's just so dumb I dont get it.