Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
There is a big gap between my reading of Dust of Dreams and now when I'm trying to read Crippled God, which has made it pretty frustrating. Admittedly part of this is my fault for my poor retention, but goddamn it's lazy writing by Erikson with the 150 or so dramatis personae and a million plot threads. So far in Crippled God I spend most of my time struggling to remember who people are, what the hell they are doing, and where they are. That whole getting lost in a new world deal is part of the appeal of fantasy and scifi but not when there are 12 races, three pantheons of gods, who knows how many different worlds/planes of existence whatever, characters who are getting resurrected all the time, jeez. I feel committed to finish the drat thing considering I've read 8000 or whatever pages leading up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silly
Jul 15, 2004

I read most of the other books in fairly rapid succession, wasn't a year+ gap working against me. Generally I get pissed off at trying to figure stuff out but his crazy convergence tons of poo poo happening endings and Tehol/Bugg kept me going.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Finished TCG last night. My thoughts are similar to other haters who have already posted. The real strengths of this series were in the middle books. The overall narrative structure of the series is really lacking. There are a lot of stories that are great in of themselves but are really hard to stitch into the larger story in a meaningful way. And as others have said the big baddies and the Kolanse stuff gets introduced way too late and it feels real artificial.

Not sure I would recommend the series to people. It might be smarter just to read the good books like Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, and Midnight Tides and try not to care about the larger story. Because at the end of the day I didn't find it all that rewarding to read all the way through.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

I read the first Bakker book but he lost me when a demon started cumming black semen everywhere.