Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So there are still no copies of TCG anywhere in Toronto. I can't find a single one, and the one I ordered on Amazon says it won't ship until the 29th! This is a long shot, but if any Toronto goons have it I'll totally buy it off you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont want to read ICE's stuff, I read NoK and was astounded that it even went to print. It was like reading the Magic The Gathering books with Gull the woodcutter. Or Tasselhoff Burrfoot.

I'm probably going to read the RotCG just because there simply isnt anything else I want to read and I'm bored, but I am dreading it.

I could recommend a lot better books than RotCG to help pass your precious time. The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, for instance. The Black Company books by Glen Cook. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

the periodic fable posted:

also even though they were likely written for a slightly younger audience, i found Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams to be pretty good actually

Ohhhh absolutely, that is a very high quality series that I still look back on really fondly. Every fan of 'good' fantasy should read it. It has a fairly typical formula that is reminiscent of Tolkien, but Williams creates something so unique and beautiful. And it all wraps up in a neat little package by the end, which is something Williams is quite good at.

Since we are recommending stuff I'll throw in Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay, which is more like Historical Byzantine Empire Fantasy. It has some of the best action scenes I've ever read in the form of chariot races.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
This is kind of off topic but I've been playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on PC lately and it occurred to me that it would be the perfect game engine for a Gardens of the Moon videogame.

Imagine running and climbing across the rooftops of Darujhistan as Rallick Nom, Kalam, and Crokus, doing thief and assassin missions with a variety of weapons and magic. You could help the Bridgeburners distract the guards while they do 'road work'. You could play pickpocketing minigames with Kruppe. Fight off Tiste Andii mages with Quick Ben. Someone send the Assassin's Creed devs this book please!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

When I think of epic fantasy, I think Lord of the Rings, not the Iliad.

Why? Erikson borrows much more heavily from Homer than Tolkien.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Not really. Mythology still has some basis in fact and is important as a cultural outlet. The Iliad depicts a historical war between two real places at its heart, even if it uses mythical elements to do so, and also depicts the way people of Classical Greece lived. The Malazan world is complete fiction, and I think that is the line between 'fantasy' and 'epic poem.'

I think that's the big difference, and why I'd be incredibly hesitant to imply that 'epic high fantasy' is core to Western literary tradition.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but where would you put Rime of the Ancient Mariner? I don't see 'a line between fantasy and epic poem' there at all :)

Also, 'important as a cultural outlet' could easily apply to a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, for instance Margaret Atwood and Kurt Vonnegut. I don't meant to derail the thread, I just find this discussion very interesting!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Gene Wolfe for sure, Locke Lamora also has a Malazanny feel sometimes.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

dmccaff posted:

If he and Kruppe are ever in a room together I think my head might explode...

Something like this happens in book 8 and it is just as amazing as you might imagine!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

NovemberMike posted:

I thought gods were just ascendants that had worshippers. Rake isn't a god because he doesn't have real worshipers

I think this is pretty questionable by the time Toll the Hounds rolls around, just look at what Rake's compatriots do to fulfill his schemes in this book. I don't think they could achieve what they achieved without revering Rake as a God.

edit: I guess I'm talking about 'faith'

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

adamarama posted:

Yeah, it's something like this I think. Dessembrae is a new god, created by the worship of Dassem Ultor. Dassem just happens to be still alive; there's a seperation between god and mortal.

I'm still only halfway through Orb but there's a really good piece on ascension in there, describing it as a struggle to stamp your identity on the universe. This is why godhood changes, most evident in war. The ascendents struggle until only one remains, enabling them to say "I am war and war is what I am". Fanderay and Togg, Fener, Trake: the rise and fall of the gods mirrors the civilisations. Dessemembrae didn't fight for an existant identity, he created tragedy. There's still a lot of unexplained backstory there but it's got something to do with Hood and Dassem's daughter.

Knowing Hood, he had it all planned out long in advance that by claiming Dassem's daughter he could set off the chain of events that we witness in the Book of the Fallen.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Woah, I just bumped into Steven at my local brunch place (Cabin 12 in Victoria). I used to see him writing in the coffee shop all the time but then he moved to England, I guess he's back in Canada. Anyway, he had some sci-fi book with him that he has just written, it had a freakin' space ship on the front and he said it was a "send-up of Star Trek." I haven't been keeping up with this thread but did you guys know about this? My mind is pretty blown and I am super excited to read this thing.

edit: there it is, Willful Child http://www.tor.com/Steven%20Erikson

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

One of the worst things about ebooks: it's hard to get them autographed. I still have a copy of a book signed by Anne McCaffrey. (Don't judge me.)

Something about your reply flew over my head, like a cusser flying into a sandstorm, and I am not seeing the connection here. That said, I have a bunch of signed books by George Martin that I feel guilty about owning at this point. Now that Steven Erikson is back in Victoria I am gonna keep my little early edition Korbal + Bauchelain hardcover in my car in case I see him again so he can sign it. Paid a stupidly large amount of money to order it from Amazon back in the day.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Thordain posted:

Finally finished Toll The Hounds, holy crap is that a long book. I was surprisingly emotional about the death of Anomander Rake..

The author's note to Dust of Dreams is...interesting, I wonder what kind of cliffhanger I'm in for here.

Edit:
Dramatis Personae:
Chancellor Bugg
Ceda Bugg
Treasurer Bugg

:allears:

the cliffhanger at the end of DoD was brutal when we had to wait for the final book to come out. Reading it now and being able to go straight into book 10 afterwards takes away a lot of the sting. you have a lot of great stuff to look forward to!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm going through the Malazan empire books on audio and I frankly have absolutely no idea what is going in return of the crimson guard except it's boring.

I think this is the low point but man it's low

Yeah Crimson Guard is bad and a big reason why i actively advise against reading Esslemont's stuff. He completely fails to live up to the hype that Erikson presents wrt stuff like the Night of Knives and the Crimson Guard

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

my bony fealty posted:

About halfway through Deadhouse Gates and it finally got good! I was enjoying it the whole time, except for the dreadful Felisin parts, but was very much a bunch of people (different groups of people!) wandering around a desert having lovely things happen to them. Now stuff has really started happening. There were some surprises, like I expected Kalam taking to book to Sha'ik to be a significant part of his story but nope he gets it and the next time we see him he's delivering it. Pretty funny. Still dunno what the deal with the Red Blades is but apparently they all died anyway.

The ghost ship of beheaded corpses is sick, love a good spook and it's a good way to further characterize people who have already had a really lovely time.

Climax of the battle at the river, where we finally get to see Coltaine in action and the Malazan sappers doing their thing, is the first part of the book that's been a real page turner for me. Having it from Duiker's perspective was a great choice.

As always Mappo and Icarium remain fun to follow and I'm glad they ran into Fiddler and co, who were doing nothing interesting before that.

Feel like I've got a grasp on how Erikson writes now and what to expect from the structure of further books. Love the one-off drops of info that seem rather important like Shadowthrone and Cotillion are Kellenvad and Dancer - am guessing that has some pretty significant implications for learning more about the past and future of the story.

That book is absolutely crammed full of amazing poo poo happening. I am happy you are getting to enjoy it for the first time, I remember how blown away I was by the end.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

What about the full story of the death of Laseen? If you skip RotCG then it's just mentioned offhandedly by Quick Ben in Toll the Hounds. I get that The Empire itself takes a back seat in the latter half of the series, but I feel like such a huge, looming character was done dirty by Erickson in that respect.

I feel like Deadhouse Gates was the only time we actually interacted with that character in the series, please correct me if I am wrong. They definitely had a presence and there was a lot of promise there. I was also miffed by how that whole thing went down but there is no reason anyone should be encouraged to read Crimson Guard :barf:

Because while CG may add a few things, it does our boy Iron Bars dirty after he was a total babe in Midnight Tides.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Sailor Viy posted:

Is the rest of the series basically going to revolve around fighting the Crippled God to save the world? Because that seems a lot less interesting than what was going on in the first two books.

Nope!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

I'm pretty sure it took me most of the series to realise that Dessimbelackis and Dessembrae were not the same person

When I hung out with Erikson years ago he had to explain to me the difference between Anomander and Anomandaris (one is the dude, the other is a poem written about the dude)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

srypher posted:

wow knight of knives was terrible. is it viable to just read the malazan wiki summaries for the other novels of the malazan empire? i don't think i can read another ICE book, but apparently some plot driving thing/things happens in the crimson guard book?

none of what happens in the ICE books matters in Erikson's 10 book series. people will mention a certain character dying, but that death has no effect on Erikson's series

crimson guard is just as bad as night of knives, just stretched out for a few hundred more pages and with a mary sue character named Kyle

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

imagine dungeons posted:

First time I’ve ever seen someone say Malazan makes sense.

I'm gonna entrap you in my magic sword for this

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Laseen is barely a character in the Erikson books, only 'appearing' in book 2 iirc. I really hated ROTCG and don't understand reading it for Laseen in particular, but whatever floats your boat.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Yes there is lots of Anomander Rake and the other Bridgeburners in book 3, I enjoyed your Deadhouse review and look forward to how you will receive Memories of Ice because it is a killer read.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Serak posted:

TGiNW is a much easier and more accessible read than either FoD or FoL

Seconded, TGiNW is a good Malazan book. I found FoD to be exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is the general consensus that the main 10 books at least end satisfyingly enough?

Yes. Book 8 was a slog to read with a downer ending the first time I went through it, but on a re-read a few years ago it was much better. Books 9 and 10 are pretty much one unit, and Erikson manages to end the series on a high note with a lot of the characters at a good place, as well as a huge and satisfying final battle. I think most fans of the series found the ending to be satisfying.