Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

kingturnip posted:

Mother Dark did nothing wrong
It was Draconus who messed everything up with projecting his creepy neediness on to everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cardiac posted:

Me too.
How the KChain Che Malle will fit into everything is something I am looking forward to see.
It would be fantastic, but I anticipate them and the Forkrul Assail not really being included. Some of the main series quotes make it sound like they already did their thing and went away before the Tiste were around (plus Erikson hasn't really been keen on expanding the scope of Kharkanas).

I'm looking forward to the stuff about Eleint and T'iam, and how a whole pile of characters on multiple sides become soletaken dragons. Maybe up to and including the creation of the Malazan world and the warrens.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wolfsheim posted:

Just finished Dust of Dreams last night.

What I really appreciated was that the Nahruk showing up at the end doesn't really fit into the conflict that everyone was preparing for in Kolanse so much as it's a threat everyone was a little bit aware of but ignoring only for it to arrive at the worst possible time.

I assumed at the start when the K'Chain destriant was kind of ruminating over the matron being insane it was just your standard Malazan 'everything is bad for everyone' worldbuilding, I didn't expect the matron's plan to actually work and end up saving the world. It was a nice touch! I'm still not entirely sure what the deal was with Rutt, Held, etc. Were they also ghosts like Feather Witch/etc? Was it happening concurrent to everything? Will this be answered in the next book
?
This will all be answered in the next book, DoD is basically a two-part novel with The Crippled God in terms of plot structure.

As far as the Snake, they're not ghosts when you watch their journey, just people doing something unimaginable, but my read was that their journey is analogous to the Bridgeburners in Raraku, the Chain of Dogs, and the Bonehunters in Y'Ghatan ,with the horrible march through a magically invested hellscape turning them all into something more-than-mortal.

After Icarium's machine, yeah, something weird happened to them.

edit:actually, I think I take that back about Icarium's machine? I believe they left and survived before the machine went off.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 25, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

anilEhilated posted:

Weren't they escaped slaves?
They were. Also I didn't connect the eating the d'ivers god with giving them fragments of its power. I assumed that they were also "watered", meaning descendants of Forkrul and humans, which is where they get their powers and also why the Forkrul want them back so badly.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I also want the book more than the hardcover, to be honest. Very frustrating that the only way to read it on a Kindle will be to pirate it unless you want to wait 4 extra months.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hood's army sets off to make war on death and are never seen or heard from again.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

kingturnip posted:

There's a not-insignificant part of me that feels I should tell you that you're absolutely at the sharp end of the stick right now; that understanding is right around the corner and things will - slowly - fall into place.

But there's the other part of me that feels I should suggest that you're maybe not that bright. And that's cool! Like, 25% of people are pretty stupid, so you're in - if not good - then, plentiful company. And sure, not everyone can realise that their degree in literature is worth less than the used post-it notes the university recycled to make the degree certificates, but it's the enthusiasm they completed their 'degree' with that counts, right?
What the gently caress is wrong with you? I like these books and find the writing style rewarding, but I'd rather leave thread than be on your side.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The character mentioned in spoilers is also known as The Shore edit: oops, The Watch... there Shore was his religion., if that rings any bells. It was a pretty epic scene.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 15, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rant is going to meet his daddy and just want a hug from his old man, not to confront him over his birth or ask him about galactic conquest, and Karsa is going to like that and not be a dick about it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Kinda wish Paran would have stayed dead. I thought that was a pretty cool subversion, the closest thing the book had to a main character so far randomly getting merked.
Paran has a very weird character arc regardless, at least IMO. He doesn't stay dead and becomes a cosmically powerful player in the game, but also stops being the reader self-insert immediately and becomes a cipher like Quick Ben, then he never really reconnects with any of the other protagonists for the rest of the story long-term. There's not really a trope for him or a trope that is being subverted, he's just a wild card.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Alhazred posted:

The Felisin story has an amazing pay off though: Her sister kills her and never discover it. Felisin dies without knowing that her sister tried to save her.
It's been a lot of years since I read it, but doesn't Tavore reveal in the final book that she knew the whole time, did it anyway, and lived with the guilt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

bucketybuck posted:

Whiskeyjack got his name because he was called Jack, and then he was drinking whiskey. The highlight of a naming session that destroyed any sense of wonder from the originals.
What happened to the whole "bird that steals" thing about his sister from Hood's temple? That was actually an interesting origin, how stupid.