Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

qbert posted:

Kalam/Tavore/T'Amber basically cutting a swath of Claw death across Malaz City

I think you left out the spoiler from the other thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

qbert posted:

You're right, edited. That's what happens when you copy/paste the post directly instead of checking the version showing tags.

Hehe - I thought that's what may have happened. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Icehawk_OS posted:

What about this mega-thread that already exists?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2563143

I just started Gardens of the Moon, hoping to get into it considering the comparisons to Cook's series and my general love of military fantasy.

Check the last page of that thread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Been reading TCG sporadically since yesterday - just at the part now where Fid's called together all of the seargeants/etc... for their post-massacre pep rally.

Soo....I assume this probably gets expounded on later, but - did that short bit on QB early on suggest that he's at least part-Andii? Because if so I'm going to be telling a lot of people, "I told you so!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

I'm almost done, and there's been nothing about this. So, I doubt it.
loving cock-tease Erikson. :argh: That passage sure as hell sounds like he's using 'Mother' to refer to 'Mother Dark,' and potentially alluding to himself having drifted away from his Andii-ness due to the time he's spent among humans.

I just wish this got resolved beyond such a vague segment, since the idea of him having Andii heritage is something I'd theorized about several times in the old thread (and which led to at least two arguments on the interpretation of his black skin :)).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Well, as we've said in the past, it never describes Quick as being Andii-like at all. It just says that he's black, along with Kalam and most of the other denizens of Seven Cities. Whereas the Andii are very specifically described as being midnight or onyx colored...Pretty big difference, I figure.

Yeah yeah, we've been over this (and I remember someone getting very heated about this in the old thread), but I still find it telling that Erikson tends to use skin colors literally (blue, black, ochre, rust, etc...) rather than in a way that applies to our own social norms. And for the record, on at least one occasion he describes Rake as having "jet-black" skin (and it is facial features that are referred to as having been 'cut from onyx'). Andarist is described as having skin "black as ebony." Arantha has "black skin faintly dusted." Etc... Again, my point is that he's pretty specific. He describes some as 'midnight,' some as 'black,' some as variations - which to me are intended to get across the slight difference in shades. Hence why, when he describes humans as having 'black' skin, I interpret it as is.

Now, I'm using Andii inclusive of not necessarily being Andii, but having MD be his mother even if FD wasn't. And I think, as commented on above, it would make more sense for his original self to be some sort of MD-descendant / Andii-offspring than it would be for him to be human and in possession of an Andii soul. Also, IIRC he has significantly more than 6 souls in him...no?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 2, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

TCG: Also, hey may be talking to Mother Dark and Father Light, but that doesn't mean he's calling them HIS mother and father. They are NAMED Mother Dark and Father Light, so if he's talking to them or whatever he's going to call them Mother and Father, right?

Also, at one point a character observes Quick and Kalam walking together and it describes them as being the same color. So, I dunno...I still think Quick = Andii is pretty farfetched.
To the first, you are correct, but the context in which he uses and refers to the names pretty heavily suggests some sort of real maternal connection. I'll have to reread it when I get home from work, as it was pretty late last night when I went through it, but I'm pretty sure this was the case.

To the second, again, I'm not theorizing that he's Andii - my initial theory was that he carries Andii blood, sort of like the Shake, which is different and not at all unprecedented.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

the periodic fable posted:

i am one of the people who got heated up about it (:)) and i never read it as anything more than Erikson using varied language in describing people and things to avoid repetition.

someone - i don't know if it was you - made the argument that he described kalam as 'black' or 'dark' and quick ben as 'black-skinned' but i feel it's weird to draw the conclusion from that fact that we're meant to think of quick as literally the colour black as in the colour of these spoiler tags or the silent void of space.
Not sure if that was me (I honestly can't recall), but I'll keep returning to the same general point: Erikson really seems to use skin colors literally, and often goes out of his way to describe particular shades. I feel that if he had intended QB to look like a particular ethnicity with which we are familiar (in this case, one of African descent, as a lot of fan art interprets) he would have used specific language to refer to that. A perfect example is that he specifies Rake as having epicanthic folds.

quote:

another thing is also that it's simply illogical to me that one single person would somehow be a different skin colour to what we as humans are used to, even if that single person happens to be the rather extraordinary quick ben. i really feel that if erikson wanted us to imagine his human characters in ways you wouldn't normally expect a human to be or look, he would be a lot more obvious about it, because i can't think of any other instance where a 'standard human' is described as anything but very normal according to our 'social norms'
and finally from what i can remember erikson never said that having these souls within him changed the way he looked.
First, it's not necessarily one person, because there are others in the series (typically of 7C origin) who are described as black-skinned. And I don't think it's a huge leap to imagine a bunch of people having black skin because they're carrying Andii blood from some union from way back when. Second, as I said, Erikson already uses shades of color for which we don't have an analogue. The Napanese, for example, are almost invariably blue-skinned. Finally, again, I haven't made any claims about him carrying around an Andii soul. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

The people from Seven Cities and the desert based Dal Honese have dark brown skin.
For the most part, correct. What I said is that most of the black-skinned human cast of Malazan seem to originate from 7C.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Daico posted:

TCG Spoiler Heh heh, Hood turning up and eating Equity. "I have never much liked Forkrul Assail."

That said, was that foreshadowed or mentioned at all and I missed it?

I just read that bit this morning - hilarious. I pictured him making "nom nom nom" noises. Possibly not quite what Erikson had intended. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

I had a lot of trouble following that plot as well. I think it was something along the lines of Gruntle actually trying to get Treach killed by calling him forth where all the dragons were going to enter the world.

I'm not sure if it was planning to call him forth specifically with the dragons in mind. I read it as he was basically going in expecting to get his rear end handed to him, and expecting as well that that process would somehow force Treach to make an appearance (whether in a "hey you kids, stop kicking my tiger!" or an "oh drat, I literally am unable to hold myself back when my tiger is getting the poo poo kicked out of him" manner).

According to my Kindle I'm about 75% in now (was hoping to finish over the weekend but didn't have a chance :( ). Crazy stuff happening left and right.
- Kalam and QB tearing the FA new assholes, and mouth holes, and eye holes, and all sorts of other holes
- Yedan Derryg butchering TLs and Hounds and Dragons and then... :(
- Nimander finally climbing out of the enormous vagina he's been cocooned in since Midnight Tides
- Shadowthrone giving as much poo poo to Draconus as he does to anyone else
- And it's just getting started...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Grillad skinkmacka posted:

She was imprisoned in Dragnipur I believe. It was mentioned that Draconus thought it would be some kind of gift but in the end when the chaos caught up it would have proven fatal for her. After Anomander saved her she decided to forgive the Andii and take up residence in Black Coral which he had sanctified beforehand.

Not quite. I believe she turned away from the TA after, shall we say, a disagreement with Rake. Draconus then created Dragnipur to hold the Gate of Darkness because Chaos was pursuing it, so that the wagon would be forever dragging the Gate away from it. I don't think Rake 'saved' her, so much as he sacrificed himself to open a link allowing her to return should she so want.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm in the middle of MOI right now and absolutely love this damned series so much that I want to rush through to the end, but I'm a slow reader.

Does anyone have any decent fan art or anything illustrating the difference between the Jaghut/Jhag/Trell? I have a hard time keeping them straight in my mind, and just how "human" they should be vs. how orc/troll-like, for lack of a better comparison.

There is some out there, but here's what I think the general breakdown comes to:
Jaghut - tall, skinny, green skin, tusks jutting up from their jaw
Jhag - smaller tusks, still tall, but it's a half-breed so other traits may depend on the other side (Icarium(half-Jaghut/half-Toblakai) is our only example?)
Trell - shorter (still taller than humans), squatter, wide across, lumbering, probably fairly orc or ogre-like

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

I've been thinking about Tiam and (TCG) T'iam, with that crazy broken-denoting apostrophe and I've had a couple of thoughts about it.
What doesn't quite gel with your theories - for me, anyway - is that there are several instance throughout the series that imply that Tiam was by no means an unwilling participant in Rake's taking of her blood, which makes me wonder if she colluded in that much in the way Kellanved/Dancer 'died' in order to ascend.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Turpitude posted:

So there are still no copies of TCG anywhere in Toronto. I can't find a single one, and the one I ordered on Amazon says it won't ship until the 29th! This is a long shot, but if any Toronto goons have it I'll totally buy it off you.

Couldn't someone just buy it and ship it to you, as well?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Is it on Kindle yet? Even if you don't have a Kindle, you could buy it and read it on your computer. There's free computer Kindle reader software on Amazon, I believe.

Yup, since March 1st.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

I don't think anyone in the series can come even close to Kallor when it comes to suffering. Other than perhaps The Crippled God himself.

Not that it isn't deserved, but still.

Well if we're going to go in that direction, I might point out Draconus, who for hundreds of thousands of years got stuck into his own contained little invention.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Incidentally, and speaking of unresolved storylines - are we going to see what happens to Chaur in the Darujistan novels? Last we saw, his brain was rerouting the primary power couplings through auxiliary channels or something and turning him into some sort of Rainman-esque genius. Or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

TCG and Hood spoilers Yeah about that, what the hell is this guy's plan? In the third book and in the past he was part of the main anti Crippled God gang. Now he is suddenly fighting for his release in between trying to save the world from chaos by getting himself killed by Anomander.

My personal reading of that whole story (including Hood and Rake, etc...) is that TCG had been chained because his presence was causing all sorts of chaos - both in that it alone was affecting people/ascendants in the world and that, because he was in such a sorry state, others were able to 'use' him or bits of him for their own purposes. Chaining him was sort of a spot fix, and apparently one that had to be repeated every once in a while. Then ST and Cotillion went around and probably figured out that, hey, there's a way for us to send this cancer back to his own world, which would solve at least that problem on a permanent basis... My guess is that Hood/Rake/etc... saw the wisdom of this (not to mention, where Rake is concerned, the possibility of bringing back MD, and where Hood is concerned, to get the hell out of a role that he apparently isn't a huge fan of).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Junk Science posted:

Reading Malazan and then moving on to The Wise Man's Fear has been really jarring. I enjoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, but now it just seems like young adult fiction. You can really tell that Rothfuss doesn't have anywhere near the life experience of someone like Erikson.

Granted, the writing is fluid and a lot of his ideas are great, but it's funny to me when he tries to describe hardship or pain. Rothfuss spent nine years going to school in central Wisconsin; he doesn't have any idea what the world is like beyond ramen and textbooks, and it shows. It doesn't help that Kvothe is such an unlikable Mary Sue....
Yeah, there're a lot of unhappy readers in the Rothfuss thread (me being one of them). Forget hardship, his take on relationships - mainly romantic but also friendships - are very difficult to relate to.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

It's bizarre to me, the mainstream appeal Rothfuss's series has claimed already. I mean, his world and characters are great in ways, and there are the seeds of a great fantasy in there, but the books are so loving flawed for all the reasons we've stated...I just don't get it.
I think his prose is great, and the first book got a lot of positive attention not only for what it was but what it potentially set up.

Junk Science posted:

Not to derail too much, but it really doesn't help when your premise is "the truth behind the legend is not at all what it seems," and then it turns out that Kvothe is actually pretty much exactly what he seems: awesome at everything from music to academics to magic to fighting to love(!). As a character he's incredibly boring.
He's not, though, and that's the problem. He's a brilliant genius who can learn a new language in five minutes - but who keeps making one moronic decision after another. It's amazingly artificial.

Decius posted:

I liked them. They are of course completely different von Erikson, and not the same quality in my opinion, but still some quite good books and I was entertained well enough.
I enjoyed the first book a lot, as it struck me as a sort of 'Harry Potter meets Ender Wiggin.' But book two was a hot mess.

Honestly, I think WMF suffered at least as much from poor editing as writing. A good editor would have kept that book to 500 pages instead of the 1000-and-change it ended up being.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

Tavore kills Felisin

But did she know it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Boogle posted:

TCG Spoilers Not until the end she didn't

I was just being a jerk. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I dragged it out as long as I could because I didn't want it to end.

Questions: (TCG) Who is Awakening Dawn in the Shake royal house?
What is the secret that Shorn/Ruin discuss, the one that Rake kept?
Is Tavore the Talonmaster, or merely a member?
I don't think we actually know any of this (certainly not the 2nd - I'm not 100% sure on 1 and 3).

quote:

Other stuff: (TCG) Also, I liked that one of the dragons chained to Ruin's sword was named Kalse. That means that every KCCM spire is named after and probably modelled on one specific dragon that they liked.
We've actually known that for some time. Every KCCM XXXXX-rooted spire we've come across has been named after a dragon (and Kalse had, IIRC, been mentioned previously in the seriers). I think the KCCM either worshipped dragons at some point, or were some creation of theirs or something to that effect. I just can't remember the exact connection.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

Korbolo Dom just made up his own assassin organisation and called them Talons. They're not connected to the originals, and Cotillion probably doesn't give a poo poo what they do.

This. KB isn't the Talon Master - he just created an assassin organization and gave himself that title. Aside from not being connected to the originals, I'm pretty sure Kalam comments to himself at one point in DG or maybe MOI - in any case, while he was blowing through the Whirlwind camp taking them out by scores - about how they're also nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Edit:

are you sure he actually called them the Talon? i seem to remember they were called something else but i might be mistaken.
99% sure. I'm also pretty sure Kalam gives a huge :rolleyes: over it. So I don't think there's evidence of any connection whatsoever, but he did use the name.

Also, the whole 'Is Tavore the Talon Master?' bit hadn't occurred to me before, but would make some sense - especially as she had Baudin, an admitted Talon, shadow Felisin when she was shipped off to the mines.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 31, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i realised the source of my confusion now, RotCG/HoC/whateveri was getting Korbolo Dom's Talon mixed up with the Black Glove mentioned in RotCG who operate inside the Claw and allowed Mallick Rel to take over control of the Claw from Laseen.

Pshh...ICE, :rolleyes:, am I right?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Boogle posted:

House of Chains, Chapt.25, pp.929 (paperback edition):
Approaching a well-trod avenue between huts, he caught a flash of movement, darting from left to right across the aisle. Kalam dropped lower and froze. A second figure followed, then a third, fourth and fifth.
A hand. Now, who in this camp would organize their assassins into hands? He waited another half-dozen heartbeats, then set off. He came opposite the route the killers had taken and slipped into their wake. The five were moving at seven paces apart, two paces more than would a Claw. drat, did Cotillion suspect? Is this what he wanted me to confirm?
These are Talons.

Which doesn't necessarily prove any connection to the original organization - only that they're trying to [poorly] emulate their tactics.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

not sure how to take this :(

Just poking fun at the fact that it was, of all things, an Esselmont story element that lead to the confusion. ;)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

coyo7e posted:

So I caught this last night on my second re-read of Deadhouse Gates. "Jhistal priest." I get that they're supposed to be a destrier of an Old God? but I don't really get why Duiker seems so stoked to get a chance to get his hands around the throat of Mallick Rel, the priest of Mael who helped/pushed Pormqual into locking the gates on Coltaine.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking? The second part of your question answers the first?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

So yes, that was the real Redmask, he was just a Letherii to begin with.
I thought the original predated that elder story?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

that was my idea too but i can't find any relevant sources for it right now
I think Illuyankas is assuming that that Letheri-turned-Awl who killed the elders was the original Redmask, whereas I believe it's pretty explicit in the books (which I don't have on me by virtue of being at work) that the original Redmask was around well before that episode - hence his legendary status, hence the fact that no one alive remembers him.

quote:

edit:while googling for malazan stuff i keep ending up on the malazan empire forums and those guys have the weirdest loving theories on everything
Eh, as with most forums like that, the core contributers probably spend far too much time every day discussing the books and plot, and after a while you run out of reasonable theories and ruminations and invariably resort to crazy poo poo. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

I'm assuming that because that strangled elder was the only person left from his tribe since he killed most of the elders and the rest of the tribe dwindled away from infighting and the Letherii, and no-one else who saw what's behind his mask was currently alive. As far as the Awl are concerned, Redmask is a badass Awl with a scaled mask. Redmask trained with those signature weapons while he had his mask, before the whole mess with his sister that Boogle described. So either a Letherii became incredibly skilled with these weapons while learning from the KCCM, or he's the original and he was always a Letherii captive raised by the Awl.
Right, but IIRC it was never stated implied in the book that when he killed the elders, he was Redmask. I got the impression that Redmask had been around prior to that (and was probably Awl and not KCCM-backed), and had already gone by the time Mr. Letheri came around and killed the elders. And that what the elder was saying wasn't, "Hey the last time Redmask was here was..." but rather, generally, "Hey - there happened to have been an outcast guy who would probably have been right about your age by now..."I may be mis-remembering, but I was pretty sure the book drew a clear enough distinction between current Redmask and original Redmask that they couldn't have been the same person.

quote:

This is factually accurate, except that sometimes those theories are correct.

Not often.
Sure - "throw enough darts at the board" and so on... :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

adamarama posted:

She definitely suffered, which is why I think it's a new type of magic. I think it's Reverence that comments that Sinn's magic is "alien", which makes me think it has something to do with the Crippled God. Beak suffered in much the same way as Sinn, and they're both extremely powerful mages. I'm thinking that they may have represented two extremes of the Crippled God, spite and compassion. This is pure speculation of course, but I'm really struggling to see how Sinn/Beak fit in with the other mages.
I sort of assumed that Sinn's new 'alien' magic is just the new Icarium-caused warrens that were introduced in DoD?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Good stuff indeed, though I hope ICE comes up with some better titles for his upcoming books.

"I like bars. Topless bars."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Junk Science posted:

I would like a series of Erikson-written short stories about Iron Bars running through crowds, effortless breaking the necks of various badasses without breaking his stride.

I would read this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Phummus posted:

- Is there enough information dropped along in the series for the fans to piece together, with some degree of accuracy, who Quick Ben really is?

No.

This is one of the cases where I need to know more. We understand why so many people are as powerful as they are. Rake, Ruin, Stormy and Gesler and so on. And I do understand needing to leave Ben as an enigma for a good long time, but I really hope at some point Erickson gives us some insight into who Quick Ben really is.

He'll string us along for years until it turns out that, ta-da, QB is an illusory manifestation along the lines of Nefarious Bredd.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Decius posted:

I agree it would have been pretty interesting, however I disagree saying that any instance of Ubala kicking rear end is a waste.
By the way, I still wonder how well Ubala can keep Icarium's anger in check since he doesn't even really know about it and what it can do.

[spoiler]Knowing Ubala, he probably recognizes that Icarium can, like Draconus, probably kick his rear end, and will aim to keep him as happy as possible by dancing, screwing chickens, eating chickens, screwing then eating chickens, etc...[/spoiler

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

Well, Abercrombie is great, but not exactly similar to Malazan. So it's a good recommendation in general but not so fitting to someone who likes Malazan ;)

I'd rather recommend R. Scott Bakker, who at least does some similar things. While warning that he is far more vicious and brutal than Erikson.

I couldn't get more than 50 pages into Bakker's first book. And don't e'v'en g'et me s'ta'r't'ed on the nam'es.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bizob posted:

That did indeed happen. The epilogue of that particular book also features a dragon raping an entire village to death one by one, complete with more black spunk. I just finished reading it about a month ago, not sure if I want to move on to book 3.

WHAT THE gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bizob posted:

Bakker managed to plumb new depths.
And apparently so did the dragon. :rimshot: