Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I don't think you read my post correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
just fyi you guys but LtSmash wasn't the one who said they all speak with the same voice, he just quoted the guy who responded to herooftherevolution who said it originally

Opal
May 10, 2005

I think a big reason that soldiers especially are so prevalent but don't come off very deep is because the whole series was hugely inspired by Glen Cook's Black Company series which had a major focus on a soldier's life. The problem is that Erikson is an archeologist while Glen Cook was actually in Vietnam and wrote from personal experience.

Beyond that I can't really put my finger on what's wrong, it just feels as if Cook was better at writing characters that sounded interesting without actually saying too much about them.

Abalieno posted:

Thankfully writing a book is not a democratic act. And not all editors bow to conventional demands.

Haha.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well, yes, I should have mentioned that I'm only talking about the first three books as I agree with your assessment that he went pretty overboard after that.

It sounds like you're just reiterating the fact that yes we all agree that Erikson has some amazing characters but the problem is that he didn't stop with them, he has too many and many of those feel flat, not to mention those which sound as if they speak with exactly the same voice (basically all female Marines, including Picker with Blend being the only except for me, for example).

Opal
May 10, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next now that he isn't chained the overall narrative anymore. I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice to get a series of smaller books about new characters or something.

His next commitment is Karsa, I think, which sounds grand to me.

Opal
May 10, 2005

i honestly don't understand how people get into fantasy in the first place if it's THAT jarring to read names with apostrophes

Opal
May 10, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Those limited edition covers look pretty bad to me. Apart from the Coltaine spoiler thing, that font is really lame.

Deadhouse Qates

Opal
May 10, 2005

Probably not.

Opal
May 10, 2005

If you can stand some scifi influences I can recommend the books by Roger Zelazny. He writes a pretty interesting mix of scifi and fantasy that I really like. If for some reason you've missed his Chronicles of Amber I suggest you try that immediately and if you've read that but nothing else then try some of his other stuff like This Immortal, Lord of Light and Lord Demon.

Opal
May 10, 2005

1554 posted:

A quick question regarding Mappo and Icarium.

I cannot remember how he ended up in the crack Prust found him in. I'm currently reading Bonehunters and he just got healed by Prust's wife. Who finally made an apperence but I now realize she was around all along since she turned into spiders. Badass. Anyway and now their some new dude hanging with Icarium. I must have sleep read that section he got introduced because suddenly, he is guiding Icarium.

Mappo ran into the D'ivers Dejim Nebral who is released in the beginning of one of the books. He fights a couple of his forms and takes one of them with him when falling off a cliff thing.

I honestly can't remember how the new guy finds Icarium, however.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yeah, you're both right I think, I had forgotten that aspect of it.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well, I'm sure she's entitled to breaking down, of course she is, but there were still different paths she could have taken, different ways of seeing things.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yup, I agree.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I would say skip Best Served Cold when you get there though unless you've absolutely fallen in love with the series and adore everything he writes. I thought the first three were decent enough with the first one being the best but I didn't even finish Best Served Cold. I hear The Heroes is supposed to be amazing though.

Opal
May 10, 2005

The latter.

edit:
Also to clarify iirc one of the souls inside him was actually a Soletaken but it's unclear whether that means that particular power is transferred to Ben.

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

Pretty sure he backed out of the discussion but great job on the last-word-in snide remark.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I remember it being pretty much only thatthe Imass decided that as long there were Jaghut left alive the risk remained of a Tyrant emerging so they all had to die. It's kind of simplistic and I personally have a hard time believing an entire people (barring a couple) would subscribe to this no matter how enraged by past injustices but then again I'm human and not Imass (which feels ever so slightly like a copout excuse).

edit:

Levitate posted:

and were basically totally unreasonable because they have underdeveloped emotional capacities or something

Yeah, this is a good point, though I can't remember if it was ever outright stated in the books.

Opal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 27, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

The rough geography of individual continents is pretty easy to grasp provided you pay attention to his descriptions and manage to keep it in your head but the interactions of the different continents is much harder, I assume intentionally so.

This is fixed by spergy fans though:
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Maps

Opal
May 10, 2005

Kruppe is a fixture in the series so he's not going anywhere, and to be perfectly honest with you there's an entire book that is basically all Kruppe so if he's that much of a deal breaker for you and none of the other features are redeeming enough I would give up now while you're ahead.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Read The Name of the Wind, it's pretty good.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Antinumeric posted:

Just don't read the second one. It has the only group of people I find I can despise as much as the elves in Eragon.

I haven't read the second one yet because it's only out in Soft Cover Leviathan Edition but I was looking forward to it quite a bit. Is it as bad as you're making out? I really hope you're just exaggerating. :ohdear:

Opal
May 10, 2005

Aralan posted:

Between the undead(/living) Jaghut army, Raest, and Gothos, I think they might have had some of the best dialogue

Yeah, he really nailed an odd, opaque sense of humor that is still funny.

Opal
May 10, 2005

coyo7e posted:

and the REALLY alien gods (the jade statues.)

Actually, (The Crippled God spoiler) the jade statues aren't gods but the Crippled God's people. TCG is a really alien god though.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well, I'm pretty sure it's still a GotM-ism. As far as I can remember disregarding "special" mages like Beak who was basically an idiot savant most of the people who use the same "set" of magic had a pretty homogenous experience of how it worked post-GotM. Correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with specific examples that don't involve QB or Beak, but that's the feeling I had.

Opal
May 10, 2005

NovemberMike posted:

Toc the Younger is not a character defined by the happy events in his life.

Does anyone have that post about Toc (whole series spoiler)basically being the actual Herald of death due to everyone he meets dying?

Opal
May 10, 2005

No, they weren't, pakman specifically said Heboric. When exactly do they cut off Rath'Fener's hands again?

Opal
May 10, 2005

BananaNutkins posted:

If the names aren't off-putting because they came straight off an apostrophe happy random name generator, they are off-putting because they are too simple, either because they were named after the first thing Erikson saw on his desk, or because they encapsulate some essence of the character:

Blend, Bottle, Blues, Breath, Burnt, Bugg, Bowl, Bluepearl, Blind, Bent, Bell, Beak, Balm

And those are just the B's. He's got lots of character names that are nouns or verbs.

But there are names that do work for me: Ganoes Paran. Felisin. Caladan Brood. I like those.

You don't like the noun names but you do like Caladan Brood? Brood? All fantasy books have made-up names, some are better and some are worse, why is it impossible to go 20 pages without the resurrection of this dumb topic.

Opal
May 10, 2005

coyo7e posted:

IIRC, at the end of MoI, they do it. But since nobody's home at the place they are sent, they end up getting picked up by something infinitely alien, otherworldly and very, very nasty. There's a moment of anagnorsis when Rath'Fenar (and I think everyone else too) realize what's happening, and I think someone decided to have mercy and finish him off first, or at least tried to. It all happened at the very climax of MoI when poo poo really hit the fan.

Oooh, yeah you're right, I'd forgotten about that.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I disagree, I would rather have it otherwise.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I'm pretty sure he actually says so outright in those chapters as well, it wasn't just an oblique reference.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Decius posted:

The Bridgeburner had a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"-experience in Raraku, (re)making them basically into devil may care badasses, who went through Hell and survived to tell the tale. You get more about the whole thing in House of Chains.

When? I can't remember that scene. :(

I also thought the Bridgeburner premise was a bit loose but maybe I'm forgetting some key thing from HoC.

Opal
May 10, 2005

What does that mean, exactly?

Opal
May 10, 2005

I don't think anybody minds, and at any rate in my personal opinion we need a counterweight to people like Abeliano or whatever his name his. Erikson rubs me the wrong way too and I don't mind admitting that while I loved this series from beginning to end there are several things I outright disliked about it and which deserve criticism.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Really big MT spoiler: Would you guys have preferred Brys stay dead after being poisoned? It fit the tragic outrage of how the story progressed; it was pretty cool when the guardian came for him but I think Erikson went a bit overboard with his resurrection spells in the end of MT.

Absolutely, I wish he would have been allowed to stay dead. Bringing him back rendered the whole exercise pointless for me.

Opal
May 10, 2005

There's a reference to Malazan in ME3. :3 An alliance war asset called the Bridge Burners, an engineer corp.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yeah I read books. posted:

My question is: Is Quick Ben basically just Deus Ex Machina personified in this series? He always seems to know exactly what to do at the right time, every time.

Granted I'm not very far into the series, but I have a feeling he's going to remain just as mysterious throughout.

He does remain that but I think by that point you're supposed to picture him as constantly and I mean almost literally constantly thinking about everything that is going on in the world trying to fit it all together in order to be able to use that knowledge; the root of his power being his (considerable) intellect.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I wouldn't say it's any sort of 'alliance' or 'agreement' at all - to me that implies a cooperation between ascendants - but rather its own separate 'force' reflecting parts of the real world (usually in the form of annoying riddles).

Opal
May 10, 2005

How so? I don't remember that at all.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I don't wanna get all defensive but it has a pretty distinct smell so I thought it was rather good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

The Malazan wiki claims the Empire was founded in 1058 (although there isn't a reference I assume it's taken from one of the books) and the events in Night of Knives as well as the prologue to Gardens of the Moon take place in 1154 (DHGthis is the year when Kellanved and Dancer die/ascend/"disappear". While typing this I also realised that literally the second line of the first book in the series tells you the answer: "96th year of the Malazan Empire". I don't think anybody knows the exact year that Kellanved and Dancer went on the warpath though.

Opal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2012