Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I didn't really think you were serious about his drycleaning bill but thank you for clarifying. Why does that make sense though? My memory is admittedly not the greatest but how many instances of Anomander Rake swordfighting anybody have we actually seen? I just don't know what from that sequence indicated that Rake was actively holding back, or even doing his utmost. It feels moot because we're not told one way or another. I still believe that as with most things in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series It Just Is Because. Granted, that doesn't make for a very interesting foundation for discussion. :)

Opal fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Haha, fair enough. Good point. I should point out that I'm in no way defending the position that the Seguleh as a race are ascended or close to it. Mainly I'm just irritated with the haphazard nature of Erikson's descriptions of "power" and "skill".

Opal
May 10, 2005

ulmont posted:

I wouldn't call that conclusive, not least because "ascendant" is not capitalized.

I would suggest he means "risen" or "developed" rather than "Ascended".

Opal
May 10, 2005

Habibi posted:

but as far as what his destiny ends up being - Ublala Pung!

This character has always been difficult for me because in Swedish his name is scrotum. :(

Opal
May 10, 2005

You're completely right and I entirely forgot or blocked out that part of his 'character' and the fact that Erikson is kind of Swedish. Sorry for idiotposting.

Opal
May 10, 2005

edit: unnecessary

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 14, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

How can you not love a race of incredibly dry Orcs?

Opal
May 10, 2005

It consistently astounds me just how much you've taken in and remembered from this series, and I mean that in a good way. I can just barely remember the plot by this point.

Opal
May 10, 2005

That would actually be really, incredibly cool. Three mini-series dealing with one isolated story arc each, all part of the same universe. That way you'd also avoid the trap that GoT has fallen into where some plot arcs are now receiving only 4 minutes of screen time per episode.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Abalieno posted:

This is still spoilery stuff:

Hi, welcome back.

Abalieno posted:

"Shadow" is about all those events that shape things, but that you don't see directly, the manipulations behind the scenes of the two new gods. "Light" is actually the meat of the books (because the act of writing is about selectively giving light to particulars that make a story), the story of those characters caught between gods like between anvil and hammer, and the Malazan Empire itself and its role in the shaping of history. And "Darkness" is the mysterious past, the current trilogy Erikson is writing.

Could you expand on this please and what gives you that idea?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Sounds like a lot of projected babble to me, sorry.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Much like the TV series Game of Thrones

Opal
May 10, 2005

That's pretty cool but some of them are waaay off in my opinion. For example, we discussed Tattersail earlier in the thread and she's supposed to be somewhat on the round side. I also cannot see Mr T as Kalam at all, possibly because he's too iconic a person. I had the same issue with Jennifer Lawrence in the new X-Men movie; rather than Mystique all I saw was Jennifer Lawrence. I'm assuming Eddie Murphy as Shadowthrone is a joke.

Conversely, I really like: Whiskeyjack, Tayschrenn, Nightchill, Murillion

Opal
May 10, 2005

Author includes heavy women in books; has a fat fetish.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I Own Soulz posted:

Author includes only thin women in books; sexist pig that objectifies women.

You just can't really win.

Actually, you can.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I Own Soulz posted:

Is this supposed to be some troll to pull me into a misogyny discussion or are you really taking my joke as an honest view of the portrayal of women in literature? Please don't.

I don't know what a 'troll' is, I'm just playing straight to what you wrote. Since you were joking there's no need to get defensive.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Wow, this could end up owning quite a lot.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Haha I had almost forgotten about Shurq Elalle and then I found this:

Opal
May 10, 2005

Hella jealous

Opal
May 10, 2005

welp that's my enthusiasm for the SF novel gone.

Opal
May 10, 2005

nucleicmaxid posted:

:stare:

Ok then. Weird guy with bad opinions.

What's weird about his opinion?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well you're both right. Dancer set up the Talon and Laseen set up the Claw but they existed concurrently, the Talon as external operatives while the Claw worked more like a secret police. Laseen had (most of) the Talon murdered when she took power.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Talons were created by Dancer. Talons were internal secret police loyal to Dancer and Claw was external mage assassins loyal to Surly. Surly wiped out the Talon and instituted the Claw in their place in addition to their former jobs.

Thanks for repeating what I said; you're wrong about the respective purposes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

So was there any motivation behind Lanas Tog lying or did Esslemont simply not bother writing the story they originally hinted at?