Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Masonity posted:

It could be worse. Far worse.

There's a chance it was MOI major spoiler, later series minor spoiler)Whiskeyjack's death that was bargained for? Doesn't Hood show regret later for pretty much cheating to get him early?

I don't think so.

MoI spoilers, obviously:

Hood wanted Whiskeyjack anyway for rescuing his sister from Hood's worshipers. He got greedy when Whiskeyjack was confronting Kallor and took the opportunity that was presented on what amounts to unthinking impulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Masonity posted:

Yes. He got greedy and took the opportunity... Something that might have been easier to do if he was already owed a death, no?

If Hood is owed a death close to Paran, and gets greedy when the man Paran idolizes is in a dangerous situation, where he is unlucky and ends up dead...

Push and pull. It fits, for me.

It's a distinct possibility, I suppose. It's honestly a pretty interesting thought because we don't know if Hood was given free choice of anyone close to Paran and chose Whiskeyjack, or if the bargain was made for a specific person with no real choice on Hood's part. Felisin and Whiskeyjack really are both perfect possibilities. I'm also wondering if it could have been Lorn.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

coyo7e posted:

She's the queen's will manifest, she rolls with an Ototaral sword, and orders Talons around because of her position. Why would she need to be a member and receive that training? The previous person in her position was also merrily ordering around Talons as she liked.

Talons != Claw

The Claw was Lasseen's group, the Talon was Dancer's.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nimander is never "emo" and I still don't know how that got started. Is it that difficult to internally separate his personal thoughts from his outward actions? 'cause Nimander pretty much keeps that poo poo to himself and then does what needs doing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah but Kilava had no intention of stopping said Dragons, she mentioned earlier that she wasn't even going to try. So why attack her at all? Erikson! :argh:

Kilava was trying to stop Gruntle from killing Trake.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for something to read and this is probably the best place to ask.

Can anyone recommend me anything in either sci-fi or fantasy (I'm honestly not picky on this front, it can be any type of sci-fi or fantasy. Doesn't have to be far future, doesn't have to be medieval) that manages to hit the same emotional highs that Erikson manages? Series spoilers follow: I'm specifically looking for books that can strike the same chords as moments such as the sacrifices of Itkovian, Rake and Beak; Gesler's death; Karsa giving comfort to the dying old man to name a few.

I'm probably being picky, but this series has ruined me in some respects as moments like those are what I want from most things I read nowadays. Does anyone know of anything that I could take a look at?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Read Mistborn and Way of Kings. They won't offend your sensibilities judging by the Abercrombie thread, either.

Genre fiction probably isn't the best place to go looking for your emotions to get tugged, though. Even Erikson only manages it a scant few times over 10 books.

Having already read those works, I'm not certain if this is supposed to be an insult or not :v:

Sanderson is a fun pulpy read but he's never really tugged on my heartstrings in the least.

And eh, I've said it before, but Erikson got me to tear up at some point in every book from Deadhouse Gates onward. But Malazan is weird in that it managed to press pretty much all of my buttons when it comes to what the things I love to see in stories in general and the genre itself.

savinhill posted:

Guy Gavriel Kay.

coyo7e posted:

David Gemmell

Thanks for these. I'm probably going to start off with Kay, since I've been meaning to look into his works for a while.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He was one of Kellanved's old crew who "drowned" after Surly took over.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

victrix posted:

By the by, when does post-Erikson novel shock wear off?

It's been more than two years, and I still find myself picking up and dropping other fantasy (and other genre!) novels in boredom :saddowns:

Never. You're damaged goods. The only thing you can read now is more Erikson.

And re: Kalam chat, I always pictured him as Doakes/Erik King from Dexter.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

With me it's the problem I mentioned a month or two back where no one else in the genre really seems to hit the emotional notes Erikson is capable of. I rarely feel as satisfied with the works of someone else as I did with each Malazan book. It basically hit every button in regards to what I love to see in the genre and in a narrative, and that's frankly a rarity for any author in any genre to do for a reader, in my opinion anyway.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Perpetual Notion posted:

I would be interested in seeing who people think should play Karsa

Manu Bennett :allears:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And Nil, one of the warlocks, can sense Gesler's status from his blood. Basically it's a big deal that Coltaine breaks his hand, and that Gesler got bloodied.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tres Burritos posted:

Powered through it last night. gently caress me this guy loves killing his characters in awful ways. 800% worse than GRRM.

So Laseen is dead? Or was she like channeling through the corpse or something?
Or will I find out ~*In A Later Book*~ ?

The second is correct, yes. She wasn't going to put herself in the same room as Kalam.

And nah, if it was GRRM the civilians would have died too just to spite the sacrifice of the Chain.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly, I don't even need any resolution on Errastas. Guy has Draconus after him. There's only one way that's going to end, and it has such a sense of inevitability to it that the only real reason I can see it being written out is to give readers the satisfaction of seeing him bite it.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Narratively though, I'm satisfied with what we know.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you don't like Kruppe you're just gonna have to deal with it for TtH. You'll be well rewarded for it by the end, but yeah you're stuck with him for the book.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Erikson's only real consistent problem is that he likes to philosophize and his editor kinda lets him do that more and more as the series goes on.

That said, no, he never goes through what Jordan and Martin did. He had a pretty clear understanding of the story he wanted to tell, and he told it. Every book has a pretty good amount of important stuff happening in it, though sometimes that important stuff is concentrated toward the end of a book than scattered about. He never really let things get away from him like Jordan did or get lazy/have no idea what to do like Martin did and has kept a pretty good work ethic through the series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I imagine it's one of those things that just changed from GotM.

I also want to say the Bridgeburners are all older than they look.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

While Apsalar loving stuff up and making everyone within a mile of her poo poo themselves in terror at her mere presence owns a lot, I'm fine with where her action peaked. She basically completely and totally decimated the Claw by herself in a single night, surpassing even Cotillion when he was Dancer in doing so. She deservedly got the gently caress out after that and went to move on with her life, and Crokus realizing what a child he had been in admiring and emulating the things she did was a nice capstone on their story prior to their reunion in TCG. I think Erikson did well in moving Apsalar into the background when he did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's a big difference between getting your poo poo kicked in in a straight-up fight and poofing around a city backstabbing people who don't know you're there until they're already dead. It's pretty common for assassins in Erikson's books to not be all that when up against actual soldiers, Kalam being an exception 'cause he's just a bigass dude who rolls over people.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 31, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bluedust posted:

Yeah I don't think it was handled badly, just wishful thinking on my part.

But Crokus, man he's a pussy.

e: And hey, maybe we'll see Sorry in the Karsa books.

My only regret at the end of TtH is that Crokus didn't stick around for Man Lessons with Karsa.

Crokus ends up owning, anyway, though I'm enamored with him for killing Gorlas as unceremoniously as that piece of poo poo deserved.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 2, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

amuayse posted:

I like how Erickson puts more humor into the series as it goes on.

Erikson has an amusing sense of humor.

The best joke payoff in the series comes in TCG though, when after talking about how she crushed Bottle's spirit by killing Joyful Union as a means of commanding respect, when the last battle starts we finally get a little POV for Faradan Sort and we find out she is just super freaked out by scorpions and basically just rolled with something she likely did out of reflex. Killed me when I read it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah, it really can't be stated enough how monstrous the Seguleh can get. The female one that Karsa manhandled basically had Fiddler and the other soldiers making GBS threads their pants and going out of their way not to antagonize her when they briefly met.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Habibi posted:

Yes, absolutely. But at the same time, mental components don't make stone sweat.

Re: ascendancy, I forget who it was (Kalam?) who hypothesized about it, but at its core it makes you tougher and harder to kill. This can be a question of physical might (Gesler and Stormy) or will (the Avowed of the CG) or whatever.

Apsalar and Paran had a chat about it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well, he did have a list to tend to :colbert:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's written 10 years before the second book and is the weakest because of it.

I still enjoyed though, it's a YMMV thing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoyed Udinaas as well, but I'm also one of like two people here who enjoys Nimander so :shrug:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just read straight through the main series then Esslemont's stuff if you really need something extra in the world.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Habibi posted:

She (a) didn't know where their loyalties lay and (b) wasn't very good at the whole empress thing.

[b] really cannot be emphasized enough. She was really, really bad at it. Like, goddamn.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's also because Mallick Rel is a huge, spiteful piece of poo poo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I mean, Laseen flatout refused to be in the same room as him up until she got desperate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wasn't Picker padding her clothing?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The musing about never getting any award nominations is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but truth be told I've been wondering for ages why nothing Malazan-related ever gets nominated for anything. If Wheel of Time can get nominated for poo poo, surely something in Erikson's corner can?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I'm curious to what makes you see Erikson's viewpoint as nihilist because that is not at all what I got from the series.

Ditto on this. Erikson isn't afraid to put characters through awful poo poo, but he always puts an immense amount of narrative weight on the sacrifices characters make as being worth it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Okay, I need some clarification I think. (Mid-Bonehunters right now)

Who is King of High House Chains? I thought the position was given to Kallor in MoI, but now I'm fairly sure it's Rhulad. What does that make Kallor then?

Kallor is the Reaver, I believe. Though someone might want to correct me if needed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Torrent ended up being one of my favorites by the end of TCG, though this may be a biased outlook born from him 360 no-scope headshotting Olar Ethil with his dying breath.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

pakman posted:

Gothos is the one that asked for a dead, white cat, correct?

Nah, that was Raest.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They're both pretty hilarious, honestly, and I'll always have a soft spot for (TtH) Spite visiting Envy in Darujistan and just getting so stupidly mad when she sees her house that she drops a loving meteor on it before they even talk.

They're hilarious in FoD, too, but in more of a "Jesus, gently caress :stare:" kind of way.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jose posted:

Something I've just remembered from the main series that I've probably forgotten the explanation for again Olar Ethil is Burn right? So how does Burn's sleep work exactly?

Olar Ethil is a huge loving liar

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I was under the impression that that was just a byproduct of the dude showing up and not something he consciously chose to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

also idgi why did apsalar leave crokus?

Apsalar does not have a high opinion of herself and Crokus' development exacerbated this.