Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Illuyankas posted:

The people from Seven Cities and the desert based Dal Honese have dark brown skin. The jungle based Dal Honese have almost midnight black skin. The way the marines in the Bonehunters who are that black scare the poo poo out of the Edur while they're invading Lether is a interesting throw-away fact in Reaper's Gale.

I think it's either that one of the souls in Quick is a Tiste Andii soul, or the story Whiskeyjack was told by Quick and then repeated to Rake was a slight amendment of the truth and he's an Andii disguising himself as a human like Rake did when he was a guard or soulshifted himself into another body. It'll explain how he remembers how to do it, too.

I never know when to use spoilers so I'll just assume no-one's read beyond book one at almost any given moment to be safe.

Also in one of the earlier books QB said he kept away from Rake because he could see who he really was. But it could be that he just calls Mother Dark "Mother" because it's a title or something, it seems that he gets the power to compell her from the Sceptre of Darkness or whatever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Tooter posted:

I think this was more with regards to Rake being able to see that he had more than himself residing in his body. Not necessarily Andii blood, just that he wasn't a normal guy with one soul.

edit: Does anyone else feel like they're reading some redacted CIA brief or something every time they come to this thread? Even regarding stuff that happened in books half a decade old.

Still the dude does have the Sceptre of Darkness. Re-reading the scene (p.59-60 in my book) where he re-appears, I get the crazy theory of him being the creation of Draconus and Mother Dark taking souls chained within Dragnipur and chaining them to one body. With the chains and him telling the 'Mother' she could/should have kept him as a child...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Great, thanks. Maybe I haven't forgotten as much as I though I have.

Edit: one more question, sorry. On the same topic, are Watered and Shriven new as well?

They are different levels of diluted blood of the enemy, and thus have different levels of access to power. Which by my standards shouldnt be a spoiler :)

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

I think it was mentioned that they were Tiste Andii at some point, but I could be mistaken.

Dessimbelackis, the first emperor, found them and helped them escape their prison by letting them possess a single Tiste Andii female.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

the periodic fable posted:

why do they keep refering to Korlat as Sister of Cold Nights at the end of TCG? they do it twice and the second time is very pronounced. is it just some sort of honorific? i thought we knew who and where she is (inside Silverfox, on Assail)

Korlat was given the title by Nimander I think, the title seems to serve a function within the Andii court. Nightchill was probably like Draconus part of it and instead of being Consort she was Sister of Cold Nights

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

No Pants posted:

To expand, there are four positions in the royal house of the Shake enumerated in TCG: Twilight, the Watch, Awakening Dawn, and Sister of Night.

So Shake royal house, totally missed that :) This series is totally awesome btw.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Juaguocio posted:

Demon in MalazIt's one of Kellanved's pets. I can't recall where else this is mentioned in the series though.

It's a Kenryllah demon that Kellanved put incharge of his bar when he left to become emperor

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Juaguocio posted:

Interesting note about Jhistals (I think this is from DoD but I could be mistaken): Jhistal is the First Empire name for the god of the sea. The Tiste Edur name for that god, which translates to Bloodmane, is Mael. Kind of funny that he's always referred to by that name...

I think this is wrong, regarding what a Jhistal is. A Jhistal priest is the title of a priest performing blood sacrifices, and could apply to any (elder) god that wants blood for sacrifice

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

1554 posted:

A quick reassurance that I have this correct in my head and a little help. I am currently 3/4 the way through, Book Four: House of Chains.

The historian Durke (sp?), Fiddler, and Strings are all the same person. I know he died, then became Strings from Coltrains glass vial. What I don't get ios why his squad said, "We know who you are, Fiddler." ????? Confused like woah.

You are wrong, Duiker is not the same person as Fiddler/Strings. He is someone else. Fiddler takes the name Strings when re-enlisting.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Blitz7x posted:

A few questions in general about the series that I'm sort of lost on. I'm about a quarter of the way through The Crippled God

1. Am I supposed to like Tavore Paran? She keeps pushing the army towards this suicide mission to rescueish the crippled god to stop the FA. But I haven't seen them actually do poo poo from sit in Kolanse and do nothing.

2. When Fener fell in book 2 does that mean he's fuckin around in the mortal world somewhere? Do all Gods chill in the mortal world or their respective warrens at all time or do they become non-corporeal and disappear for long tracts of time?

3. Is Dassem Ultor and Dessembrae the same person? What the poo poo is up with that dude?

1. The whole thing with Tavore is that see doesn't give anyone insight into the reasons she is pursuing her quest, but everyone follows because they trust her

2. The whole Fener business gets sorted out before the book ends, but right now he is hiding. Which is what he has been doing since getting summoned and forced to manifest mortal in the real world

3. This will be better explained further in the book as well, but yes they are the same person which has been revealed. Why he actually became a god is revealed in TCG. It seems he exists at several places at once as different pieces of his being...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Draconus and Dragnipur: There are also several hints that Draconus, because of Kallor's curse, let himself get taken out by Dragnipur since he thought it would be broken eventually. Hints that I take as he planned for it to happen

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Lyer posted:

I thought the curse on Draconus was being taken by his own sword.

But the swords wasn't made yet! So Draconus, knowing that one of his inventions would be used against him made one that would protect him from what would happen to all other Elder Gods. Within Dragnipur he would still be forgotten, but apparently not lose as much of his power like the others. When he got out he was full of kick-rear end and power. Compare him to the other Elders, only Mael is probably doing as well as him. Or maybe K'Rull, but he got power again by accident...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

MoI Prologue posted:

Then Draconus spoke, 'Since the time of All Darkness, I have been forging a sword.'

Both K'rul and the Sister of Cold Nights turned at this, for they had known nothing of it.

Draconus continued. 'The forging has taken ... a long time, but I am now nearing completion. The power invested within the sword possesses a ... a finality.'

'Then,' K'rul whispered after a moment's consideration, 'you must make alterations in the final shaping.'

'So it seems. I shall need to think long on this.'

So then they all predicted that he would get caught in Dragnipur, and Draconus knowing that his own invention would be used against him made plans. But then again, he didn't know that it would be shattered by Brood, since he was planning to create a god within it. If the god would release him or give more power to the cart? I'm not sure.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Levitate posted:

Eh, it kind of was. They were often described as being incredibly emotional people (loving cry about everything, jesus christ), and I felt the subtext to that was it was to the point where they hadn't really developed a lot of control over their emotions so when they got so pissed off at the Jaghut they just went "raaaggh kill them all" and lacked the ability to step back and be reasonable. Kind of like 16 year old girls or something

I don't think people understand just how terrible the Tyrants probably where, they enslaved whole peoples and played god. And they where loving evil about it, to me Kallor is a nice guy compared to a Tyrant...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

pakman posted:

I'm a little confused as to what I read last night. Kellanved somehow found the First Throne and became the king of the T'lan Imass. Then he and Dancer fake their deaths and install Surly onto the throne of the Malazan Empire. They live in the Azath House, and I think Onrack mentions it, but then maybe they had contact with the Nameless Ones. And if the Nameless ones got the T'lan Imass First Throne, then all the T'lan Imass would be wiped out. But at the same time, the Edur are trying to find the First Throne and seat their own mortal's scrawny arse on it. Kellanved, however, is still the "emperor" of the Imass as well as sitting on the fake throne of Shadow while the real throne of Shadow is being guarded by "Traveller." Crokus and Apsalar conjecture that putting Surly/Laseen on the Malazan throne was a play by Kellanved so that he could try and consolidate power within the warren of Shadaow, as well as even trying to gain other thrones in other warrens, thus becoming all powerful.

I think I can answer this: Shadowthrone has the real throne, but the one on Drift Avalii is a fake and Andarist was guarding it but when he died Traveller took up his quest out of respect for him. Later Trull and Onrack will encounter the real throne. The Edur are looking for the Throne of Shadow, not the Frist Throne. One theory of why Kellanved faked his death and let Surly/Laseen take over was to avoid all other ascendents going apeshit on him, trying to become a god and being emperor of the most powerfull empire yet. Basically getting rid of power to look less threatening.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Also Steven Eriksson likes fat chicks!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I get the impression that certain powerful characters are so burdened by their power and wanting to do the "right" thing with it that they end up just doing nothing.
Like Tayschrenn, but then there is Anomander who chooses to do what is necessary.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I just finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne and I'm confused as gently caress, it was better written then Esselmosts previous books but I have a lot of questions...

When did Topper stop loving around and interdicting the Imperial Warren and become Clawmaster again? Also didn't he recognize something in Kiska and didn't kill her because of it. Something of her blood?

Did the Moranth let the Seguleh leave because they realized they where still allied to Daseem or because he now was 'First'? If the latter, how come?

Oru, the dude that found the First-mask found it in Moons Spawn right? And got Darujistan with Antsy. But didn't he leave to find the Seventh? Which should be Rakes? Why was the First-mask in Moon's Spawn?

Who the gently caress is Orchid? The child of Anomander and Silanah? Where was she raised. So little is revealed of her that it really annoyed me.

Malakai just buggers of? Some dude that wanted to out-steal Apsalar. But how could stealing from a vacant Moon's Spawn be harder that doing it when tons of Andii are occupying it?

What was the task that Tayschreen decided to try that Kiska didn't like? All of this was confusing as hell...

Wasn't Circlebreaker one of Kruppes old spys?

Did Caladan just walk into Darujistan, punch the ring to break it and leave? This was really anti-climactic. Also the T'Lan Imass that got rescued in the mine and now lives with Reast, what was the point of him going in and out of the Great Hall. It seemed to me that Kruppe had already defeated the Tyrant.

We don't really find out much about the Tyrant King do we? Just that he keeps on coming back, this time hiding in Ebbin.

Who are The Heel that knew Fisher? Are we supposed to know?

Overall I liked the book and finished it in 2 days but I think Esselmont left us guessing about to much. And some stuff seemed really arbitrary.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think is in TCG we found out how Daseem became a god, the Imass started to "worship" him. Maybe that's why he fits in with the elders?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
So Forge of Darkness preview and The Crippled God spoilers Anomander was described as having golden skin, it seems that all the Tiste were Liosan first? We also learn that Anomander and his brothers are not blood-children to Mother Dark but rather being a Son of Darkness is a title.

The leader of the Legions was Ossercs father and "transparant" so we are going to see a civil war between the Tiste with the army being led by someone which will call himself Father Light. This makes some sense with what happens in TCG, the Liosan are not invading but rather returning home. I wonder what makes Anomanders faction dark, and why Silchas Ruin stays pale...

It seems to me that Mother Dark is at first a title and later she ascends to godhood, and in the first two chapters it's unclear if anyone knows who Draconus really is...

I'm so loving excited for that book!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Masonity posted:

It's possible I guess. He'll be someone. That much I'm sure of. Personally I was expecting him to be part of Quick Ben due to the fact that he's son of Draconus and QB talks to "mother" dark mentioning "father" who seems to be Draconus. I also wouldn't be surprised if we find out MD pre godhood was his mother.

Book one really sets things in motion though. Now I'm done I can't wait for book 2. No one actually believes his wanting to slow down somewhat claims do they? :-(

Continuing with FoD preview Well QB does have long fingers, if it's him at least he kicked the nailbiting habit after a few thousand years :v:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Finished Forge of Darkness yesterday, it owned! It really tosses a whole lot of accepted history/mythology away, shakes everything up. Somethings still aren't clear of course but holy poo poo!

Not spoilers but reveal if some characters are "good or bad"

Draconus is a lot less evil than I'd thought but still not a "nice dude".
gently caress Envy and Spite, what evil loving cunts.
Olar Ethil is always poo poo and so is the Errant.
Anomander and kin are awesome all Andii are basically awesome.
Death to the Liosan, they suck.
Scabandaris seems like and OK dude, I wonder when he starts to be come more of a baddy.

If someone wants some heavy spoilers I can provide, if your that kind of reader I myself give no-shits about spoilers. There are some pretty heavy stuff in there, like who is actually who and who is actually related or someones parents. And a lot of other myth-related stuff.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

bigmcgaffney posted:

ICE does WAY too much of the intentional obfuscation of character identities and motivations. When your POV character recognizes someone, why continue to use vague description instead of just telling us? Or speak in riddles just to keep the reader in the dark about what is going on? Vorcan and Rallicks final conversation is what I am talking about here.

There were just so many loose threads, unexplained things, and dropped balls it was ridiculous. But hey, there were plenty of one page cameos from earlier characters!

THIS! You put into words my real problem with ICE, it's really annoying and I hope he stops doing it. It just feels like lazy storytelling creating mystery and tension where there is none.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Just finished up Bonehunters and had a question about a character I'm sure I've seen before in the series but can't place it the eres'al. Can someone give me a rundown of where it has been in play in books before the Bonehunters?

I actually don't think this is a spoiler The Eres'Al are super-primitive humans, think chimpanzees, who were domesticated by wolfs. In Forge of Darkness it's implied that the Dog Runners are humans. Who this eres'al is we don't really know other than she has an interest in Tavore and Bottle

A TCG spoiler/question I just realized that Bottle's name means Mahybe and that Braven Tooth as usual used his magic naming powers. When he wakes up in TCG, saved by Ruthan Gudd, I get the impression that he has multiple souls like Quick Ben and him being a vessel for souls (a bottle) seems quite apt.

TCG and Forge of Darkness Is the horse Quick Ben summons named? I'm rereading the TCG now and hopes that it is Caralas, Draconus charger, my theory is that Quick Ben is Arthan and Haut's protege. I'm trying to remember which family Mother Dark belonged to and if she might be Haut's protege's real mother.

Any way, thinking they are the two unknown souls in Quick Ben kinda makes sense

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

The Ninth Layer posted:

I don't have my book with me but I think that was Monok Ochem if I have the name right. I remember something about him running like a coward when the going got tough but it's been a little while since I read Bonehunters.

Spoilers as above Everyone in the refuge gets sent to the throne to protect it, or maybe they get to the regfuge from there? That includes Trull, Onrack and a nice gang of T'Lan Imass. They all do their part to keep the Tiste Edur and Icarium away from the Throne of Shadow together with Quick Ben and Kalam's girlfriends army of shadow.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Yarrbossa posted:

Bonehunters: Totally didn't see Iskaral Pust whooping some Trol'Barahl rear end. I thought he might be hiding some fight in him, but nothing to the extent that he showed on a whim. Awesome.

Iskaral Pust is totally awesome, Deck of Dragons spoiler or something He's the Magi of Shadow, why? Because Shadowthrone outsourced writing the Book of Shadows to him. Later there comes a new revision of the Book of Shadows saying High Priests are allowed multiple wives

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

the least weasel posted:

I basically look at it like this: He is definitely primarily a smart opportunist and exceedingly intelligent but because of his unusual access to multiple warrens he is also very powerful - but only in short bursts. This as opposed to the sheer innate powers of actual ascendants. I thought it was pretty clear that while he did go toe-to-toe with Icarium it did very nearly kill him and didn't really seem like something he'd be up for doing on a regular basis. Makes sense to me at least.

Icarium is Icarium, Bonehunters spoilerThe motherfucking Lifestealer, he's a nuke. None can contain or resist him. The only fights that we know of that involved Icarium either ends up with entire cities/warrens destroyed or something has intervened. Like the Eres'al or his warden. I find it ridiculous that someone gets drained from facing down Icarium as a sign of weakness.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
A god in pain is not the same as an evil god, to quote Silchas Ruin. I'm doing a re-read and holy poo poo does Eriksson reveal a lot if you know what to look for...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

PlushCow posted:

About the warrens and K'rul, K'rul opened his own veins and created the warrens out of his own blood; Kurald Emurlahn is Elder Shadow, which K'rul had nothing to do with and existed before the warrens, and it's shattering created SOME warrens, like Shadow, and mini-warrens some entities have taken over, like the warren of the Whirlwind and The Crippled God's little pocket warren he travels around in. The warrens K'rul created were around before Kurald Emurlahn shattered.
We learn in Forge of Darkness that K'rul made the warrens. Erastas, the Errant, is one of the first to exploit this new found power. It is hinted that everything summoned from a warren is taken from somewhere else. Where someone summons earth to our of a warren and later a huge hole is found.

All warrens are tied to one or more dragons, so I think that we that the theory of saving fragments of Kurald Emurlahn and dragon blood has some bearing.

Also Tellann Imass -> T'Lan Imass :)

PlushCow posted:

Otataral formed as a response to the jade giants and their power, to isolate/subdue, and has no effect on Elder magic; only the warrens. That's why most of it is mined on Otataral Isle, where there are a lot of the jade giants.
The Crippled God tells us that the Otataral Dragon, Korabas, is aspected to Otataral like Silanah is for Tellann/Thyr. Other dragons are magic and she is anti-magic. All life is magic and as such she is anathema to everything.

Otataral is created by the world as a scab on wounds from terrible magic, like the Jade Giants or a mage war. I think that it's in Bonehunters we are told that it wasn't the Jade giants that caused Otataral island...

PlushCow posted:

I don't think we know for certain how Emurlahn shattered, something to do with Father Shadow's death and later hints of Icarium, but nothing concrete. Many of the dragons wanted to claim the fragments of the shattered warren for themselves, I think that's what was read in that part with Kilmandaros killing them.

An issue with this series is that while lots was planned out before, Erikson has said in interviews that he does stream-of-consciousness writing and that's why there are a lot of inconsistencies in this series when it comes to the rules of the world. He knows where he is headed and major points but new things crop up on his way there and don't always fit in with what we already know.
In his prequel series starting with Forge of Darkness a lot of this stuff, like the warrens, is explored or mentioned; what I wrote here is from the main series only.
Shattering of EmurlahnScabandari Bloodeye was one of the main causes for the shattering of Emurlahn, we learn as much from Silchas Ruin in Reaper's Gale. And it absolutely also caused by the spilling of draconean blood which RG has in its prologue, how the blood crystalizes and sinks through the realm. Trallack Veed tells Icarium that Emurlahn was shattered by him when he tried to "free" Gothos from an Azath house, but can we really trust Veed?

For some reason Kilmandros wanted to keep the Throne of Shadow unoccupied and so did Anomander and so they allied, this is also in the prologue of RG.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
What I really don't get is why I.C.E keeps trying to make mysteries out of nothing. It's like LOST in some ways. What is the point of not telling the reader that Warleader is Kallor? I'm actually not going to spoiler tag that because it's stupid. I haven't come to the part of the book where it's explicitly stated, which I expect it will be. But it's just so obviously stupid to an avid Malazan fan.

He does this all the time, it was really painful in Sceptre, Orb, Throne with Mordecai, Orchid and all that. In this book it's even worse, with I.C.E using 'indigenous' words for regular stuff like weapons without describing them: WTF is a whipsword? Or a afnasdazak? It feels like some incredibly lazy or sloppy narration.

I've come about 1/3 in to the book and I'm not very excited, it feels like there is no real purpose to the book. Just I.C.E pulling poo poo out of his rear end and placing it in a 'magical jungle'.

Oh and a robot and a submarine?! COME ON!

zokie fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 4, 2012

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

zzttaozia posted:

Coming up to the end of Dust of Dreams. That scene with Toc and Tool, god drat :suicide: gently caress Burn.

Reapers Gale spoilers too, I think How did Taxilian and Rautos get to the Wastelands? Last thing I remember, Taxilian was on the boat with Karsa and Rautos was doing some excavating around Lether; really can't recall them doing anything after that.

DoDThey are ghosts in Icariums mind, they got trapped there when his machines in Letharas exploded and made some new warrens.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Full series spoiler regarding Icarium and stuff he weakened the warren, it was shattered by the first empire before the tlan imass killed them. We learn this from for example Treach via Gruntle. The glass desert were poo poo happened

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Kinetica posted:

What was the offer Hood was referring to Anomander Rake right before he caused Hood to have an unfortunate accident with Draginpur?

I think it's that everyone dies with regrets, Jaghut humor :v:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Both the Shake and the snake have nice payoffs, the Shake in tcg are just so :black101:
And the snake get even more heartbreaking. Some ones sexual orientation the Watch, Yeddan Derryg, being gay got handled so casually it took me a while to catch

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Dalmuti posted:

Where was that?

Of hand Yeddan talks to someone about how Twilight won't be able to marry, something the witches tried to force her to do earlier, which implies that she will be childless. Then they ask Yeddan if he fancies anyone and he just kinda says: "Nope, I don't like girls". I'll see if I can find it.

edit: Found it, I was wrong about the Twilight part, but the gay part sticks :v:
p.226 in my book.
Yedan's jaws bunched, as if he was still chewing the cheese, and then he said, 'Is that what you wake up to every morning, Withal?'
He sighed, squited at Lightfall. 'Never been married, have you? I can tell.'
'Not much interested.'
'In any of that?'
'In women.'
'Ah. Well, among the Meckros, men marry each other all the time...'

And then later on p.228
Yedan said, ' We are a contrary lot, us royals. A queen who defies sanctification, a prince who will never produce an heir, and what of Awakeining Dawn?...'

zokie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 24, 2013

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Yeah, I really wish ICE would stop with all that mysterious stranger bullshit. Kallor in Blood, Bone and Jungle was just sooo lame. Still, the whole book was a real let down. Throne, Sceptre, Orb had the same problem with Malachai etc etc...

It's really annoying and lazy.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Scott Bakula posted:

How many books is The Crippled God split into? I've just reached book 3 but most of them are only 4. I also don't want to check wikipedia because it can cause massive spoilers, but do Karsa, Seren Pedac and whoever is still in Darujhistan appear or are their stories done for the main series?

Karsa features in one short segment, we'll get more of him when Erikson is done with the Tiste Andii trilogy. Esselmont picks up some Darujistan stuff in Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Which while still being kinda bad is probably his best work. Esselmont really, really, really needs to stop it with both "Ohhh, I'm not gonna tell you who this mysterious character is..." and Deus Ex Machina out of loving nowhere.

Blood and Bone Kallor and then Osserc out of ??
OST Malachai, Orchid, the Tyrant, Humble Measure being good suddenly and then Caladan Brood comes in and just fixes stuff...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Given that Michael Hogan conveys more emotion and grief with just one eye as Saul Tigh in Battlestar Galactica than 100 actors combined. I think that it's time to break out the black face...

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Loving Life Partner posted:

Headless andii ship:
Wasn't that Karsa's work?

Yes, not the headless andii but the rest :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Errastas is pretty evil... FoD spoilers about magic.

From reading the book again I get the impression that there are two kinds of magic, only that the distinction is Holds/Warrens. The Azathanai are obviously capable of doing magic innately and it seems like Jaghut also have this ability, so I guess we can still call some magic Elder.

But remember, even before the book has started Krull has done his sacrifice/gift and created magic for all. Illgast Rend seems to be one of the first Tiste to explore it becoming a master of Denul. But Omtose Phellack is a city, not elder magic. Errastas seems to be really pissed about magic being freely available. Something that previously was restricted to the Azathanai (and maybe some others like Jaghut or Thel Akai). He is really proud of using Krull's gift to slay the Hood's wife and escape the scene of the crime. Later he is seen shoving stone tiles into the bodies of slain Jaghut in Omtose Phellack! I believe this is how Holds came to be, Errastas wants to give magic a cost and so starts to associate it with blood (and himself) he binds it to these tiles. And thus we have the Master of Tiles/Holds Errastas.

Before I thought that Warrens were weaker than Holds, but more refined. Now I believe that in his bargain with Gothos "freezing" what would become Lether in time Krull "trapped" Errastas causing his influence on magic do weaken which leads to the "awakening" of the warrens.