Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just finished GoTM and started Deadhouse Gates. gently caress, this series owns, can't put it down. Must be the history nerd in me, the world and it's history are so detailed.

Don't know anything about them but I'm getting an Augustus and Agrippa vibe from Kellanved and Dancer. Do any of the books give more detail about the two? Coltaine reminds me of all those Roman generals and Emperor's later in the Imperial era that were descended from the people Rome conquered but were vital to it surviving.

I'm reading the Kindle versions and I'll read them for what seems like a long time but I'll check my progress and it will be like a whopping 3% or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Started House of Chains. God drat are the Teblor a bunch of savages.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd hope so, I just started House of Chains and all he seems to care about is murdering people and raping their women. And he's kind of....dumb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well then can't wait to see how he changes because right now he is literally a Dumb Barbarian. I know Felisin is in this book too, whom I can't stand, she is the worst Paran. She's loyal to a shithead like Beneth but curses Baudin despite the fact that he is the only reason she's even alive.

Ganoes seems to think Tavore is a good choice for Adjunct, hope he's right.

In Gardens of the Moon I had this idea that the Malazan Empire is some grimdark type empire but now I've noticed that even Malazan's enemies respect how orderly and law based their rule is. This is speculation but I've noticed this gods vs. mortals theme and the Malazan Empire doesn't seem all that interested in being pawns for the gods. No idea how it turns out but I'm guessing that Shai'iks rebellion fails, being the embodiment of an angry god and all that.

I've also developed a liking for Cotillion. Shadowthorne is pretty weird though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm actually starting to like Karsa now. "Too many words. Witness."

One thing I don't understand is how when you first see him it mentions he's seen "17 summers" but in House of Chains it mentions that he's 80 years old.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ending of House of Chains is pretty depressing, especially when Tavore meets Felisin and doesn't know it.

Kind of disappointed Midnight Tides doesn't have any old characters, just a bunch of new ones. Is it any good at least? I think Deadhouse Gates is my favorite so far.

edit: Also, after seeing all the crazy poo poo Karsa does in House of Chains, Urko? must be a real badass since he beat up Karsa with one punch.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 8, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Tehol and Bugg own and I wish there were more chapters for them in Midnight Tides, the Tiste Edur poo poo is boring as hell.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So just to be sure I've read all this right...Midnight Tides has an undead thief that gets a makeover and then has some sort of symbiotic/parasitic creature stuffed up her vagina that has an insatiable hunger for sperm. She then saves a giant dumb guy with a huge dick from being a sex slave for 3 cruel women by having him satisfy her and her semen devouring parasite instead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just started Bonehunters. I like Grayfrog, and how demons are characterized in the Malazan books in general. Still monstrous looking but not at all like your stereotypical fantasy demons.

I like how Grayfrog has a crush on one of the women traveling with him and Cutter but realizes she has a thing for Cutter instead and lets him know about it, then tells him he should go knock her up before a rival male does. And of course Grayfrog tells Cutter that he will help defend his claim. What a bro.

Erikson is definitely a breast man, pretty much every major female character is mentioned to have large breasts at some point. And speaking of Grayfrog, he is too: "Greyfrog is already Sentinel Circler to soft-curved, large breasted goddess-human."

Mustang fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 16, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Aren't Mott Irregulars basically a bunch of strangely powerful hillbillies that all happen to be some sort of High Marshall?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished Bonehunters. gently caress Malick Rel. I accidentally spoilered myself about him during Deadhouse Gates because I couldn't remember who the "Jhistal" guy is. I can't believe Erikson makes this douche the Emperor!.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The Errant is one hosed up dude.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished Reaper's Gale. I love how Fid just shoots cussers at god's, demons, dragons and whatever super powerful creatures cross his path. With 3 books left I'm sure there's plenty of other poo poo for Fid to launch cussers at.

After the final battle in the book, I like Koryk's single comment while the squad looks at Fid, Quick Ben and Hedge: "Just look at 'em"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Toll the Hounds is off to a weird start. Some sections just seem kind of pointless and not at all interesting. Usually what seems to be Kruppe narrating whats going on or about to go on in the city but I'd rather just read the sections that have all the poo poo happen in them instead of this pointless stuff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Draconus' seems pretty chill so far after his return in Dust of Dreams. However after his introduction and how some really powerful people are scared shitless of him makes me think sooner or later he's going to start loving poo poo up.

Also The Snake chapters are boring as all hell.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The Watch is one seriously bad rear end son of a bitch. Wonder how he would hold up to the likes or Karsa, Traveler or Anomander.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I remember reading somewhere that Whiskeyjack could hold is own when sparring with Dessem Ultor back in the day.

Finished The Crippled God and don't even know what to say but I am pretty satisfied with the ending.

Immediately jumped into Forge of Darkness and I'm just like "what?" First Draconus is described as looking like a perfect Tiste pure blood and speaking of which I haven't seen any "Andii" added on to Tiste yet.

Osserc is hanging around in Kurald Galain and described as a young man when I thought he would be with the Tiste Liosan.

Anomander is described as having burnished, golden skin rather than dark skinned with silver hair. Silchas of course is still an albino.

Plus talk of Jaghut and Forkrul lands when I thought they existed on the same world as the Malazans, not in Kurald Galain. Or maybe there's just an easy to traverse path between the world/holds or something?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Alright, so some Forge of Darkness theories from someone like 15% into it.

So I'm thinking the Tiste Andii, Edur, and Liosan all have their roots in the Tiste of Kurald Galain. The highborn Sons/Daughters of Darkness and their followers become the Andii, Urusander somehow becomes Father Light since his son is Osserc and his Legion becomes the Liosan, and not sure who becomes the Edur. Maybe the Wardens, except for Spinnock? I've already encountered Scabandari and he was out in that region. Somehow the Tiste Civil War results in their appearances changing and each groups demeanor or whatever you call it is based on the group they originated from. Plus Anomander is described as having golden hued skin rather than ebony with silver hair plus other Tiste we know of not matching their descriptions in the Book of the Fallen.

I'm thinking Kurald Galain was actually a part of the Malazan world at one point until it somehow split away and became warrens/holds for each respective Tiste group. Something to do with gates being found? It was mentioned the pre Mother Dark Mother Dark found one. The Tiste are referred to as one of the founding races after all and that wouldn't make any sense if they're aliens. Plus there's Thel Akai, Jheck, and Jaghut outside their borders which are all known to have lived in the Malazan world. Kurald Galain in the Book of the Fallen I always pictured as always cloaked in darkness but the Kurald Galain of Forge of Darkness is bright and sunny and some characters actually love the sunlight.

So anyways thats my theory so far.

On a side note I really hope Arathan makes his father really proud at some point in the book.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Almost done with Forge of Darkness. Pre Dragnipur imprisonment Draconus isn't anything like I thought he would be with the way characters in The Book of the Fallen remembered him as this terrifying evil dude. Though it makes me wonder what Anomander did to get him in the sword in the first place considering even other Elder Gods were intimidated and fearful of angering Draconus.

He even made short work of taking out Kilmandaros and Sechul Lath. I'd like to see him finally hunt down Erastas in a future book.

Personally I think Draconus' intro in Dust of Dreams is the most badass intro in the series.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The best is in Letheras when Silchas Ruin in his dragon form is flying back to tear poo poo up and Fidler fucks him up with a cusser then Quick Ben tosses some magic at him. Silchas then promptly flys away like "eh, yeah I'm not loving with those guys." Actually, I'm pretty sure Fidler is the one ordinary dude that has hosed up more super powerful creatures/people than anyone else.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The saddest thing to happen to her has yet to come. The scene with the 2 dogs isn't what it seems.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm still dying to know what happens to Mallick Rel.

Though I guess it doesn't matter too much considering the two primary Malazan Armies both go rogue and leave the empire. However I wish Cotillion and Shadowthrone had actually let the hounds of shadow tear him apart.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

At the end of the series, I liked when Whiskeyjack makes Toc a Bridgeburner after all the poo poo he had been through

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

:stare: What the gently caress, there's a guy who could give Karsa a run for his money and he has two pet K'Chain Che'Malle??

Haha, can't wait to see how you react to the conclusion to that story line

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It took 2 tries for me to finish Gardens of the Moon, like 4 years apart. Deadhouse Gates is where I got loving hooked. Binged the rest of the series after that one and finished earlier this year. Still haven't finished Fall of Light though, only like 10% in and haven't touched it since I bought it really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Darujhistan was the most boring part of the first book for me and almost made me put it down. The second book, Deadhouse Gates, I couldn't put down and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the books, it's definitely my favorite series.

Gardens of the Moon is worth getting through to get to the much better follow on books.