Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah, Picker went on a weird spirit quest after getting hurt by the assassins who attacked K'rul's Bar. Apparently the torcs she wore in MoI marked her as chosen by the gods of war, because they gave her the message to give to Karsa. Which raises the question of whether or not Fener willingly allowed himself to be sacrificed...

I can't remember exactly where but someone in TCG mentions that it was a willing sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I think Erikson showed admirable restraint in his use of rape in the books. There aren't any demon cocks spewing fire-hose volumes of black semen on everything, after all. At least two dudes get raped, too, and that has to count for something.

hello clarice posted:

No, I just usually like it when there is more development other than "Hello you are a large muscled man OUR LOVE IS FOREVER". It's less about actions, like saving someone from something, and more about how two characters interact.

I know this was about a page ago but I also found this sort of jarring in the books until I really thought about it. The characters obviously don't live in a world anything like the world we live in. Chances are most of these characters have had very few (if any) romantic relationships. A bunch of people thrown into extremely stressful situations with very little interpersonal support most of which have the emotional maturity (in this regard) of your average teenager and it's not really surprising how it turns out. Just because someone says OUR LOVE IS FOREVER doesn't mean it is.

Edit: Some of the relationships, including one you took issue with, aren't really relationships at all. Two people that have no contact with each other are only "together" in their (possibly mutual) daydreams. Pining for someone is like a relationship without all the rigors of an actual relationship. No matter how strong the actual feelings involved are people fall in love with the idea of a person they haven't seen in ages. It's just a weird form of escapism that can be especially appealing to someone who is bored, depressed, and prone to living in their own head (Pedac).

Wallet fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 7, 2011

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Please tell me that is a reference to the Prince of Nothing. Man I hated that book.

Jesus, are there a lot of other books drowning in gallons of black demon semen? I'm suddenly afraid for the world.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

That's one thing about these books, they really feel like a kind of mythology. Most modern fantasy is about either transporting a modern perspective into a fantasy realm or reveling in the debauchery and violence of an imagined time frame. MBOTF is all about setting up these enormous conflicts and watching trickster gods, powerful warriors and wizards and humble mortals all try to solve it. It's just very different.

To tie this into the above discussion about television I think the appeal you're talking about is exactly what limits Erikson's audience and ultimately makes it unworkable as a television series or film. Game of Thrones works because, at it's heart, it's just a character drama in an unusual setting. HBO's entire shtick in recent years falls perfectly in line with what GRRM has on offer.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 11, 2011

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

the periodic fable posted:

Mappo ran into the D'ivers Dejim Nebral who is released in the beginning of one of the books. He fights a couple of his forms and takes one of them with him when falling off a cliff thing.

I honestly can't remember how the new guy finds Icarium, however.

Guy with no memory spoilers:
As far as I recall, and it's been a while, Mappo had to be replaced because he was only fulfilling half of his purpose. Icarium's guides exist to keep him busy but also to unleash him if required. I don't remember how or if the Nameless One's decision ties into the stuff a few books previous involving Mappo/Icarium and the hounds and such.

At any rate the Nameless One's responsibility for sending Taralack is revealed later when he spouts off various motivational speeches that were apparently fed to him, as well as talking about what his reward was supposed to be. When we're introduced to Taralack he's alone tracking Dejim so he can be there when it finds Mappo/Icarium (I think?).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Every time I peek into this thread I'm re-convinced that letting Esslemont's books rot on a shelf is better than actually reading them. Maybe I'll build up the courage to find out some day.

Speaking of spin-off Malazan books, though, has anyone read the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stuff? Is it worth reading?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

If you liked the two characters in Memories of Ice and SE's deadpan humour, than yeah they worth it.

Erikson's humor is probably my favorite part of the series. There's not a lot of fantasy authors that manage to switch between funny and depressing so smoothly. I don't remember there being enough to have any opinion on the characters, though. Guess I'll give it a shot.

As far as Esslemont goes is he really just loving terrible or is he terrible next to Erikson?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

We've been spoiled with Erikson, and the world he built is so freaking amazing in so many ways... Now we watch a writer half as good try to not gently caress up the characters and world setting that we know so well.

Yeah, that's what makes me afraid to read them. Anyone who reads much fantasy can't possibly be afraid of a lovely book, but I don't want to ruin Erikson's work.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Okay cool I'll see if I can find Deadhouse Gates off Amazon or something. The Malazan series isn't really too common in the bookstores I've been looking in. I really liked Gardens of the Moon but yeah the warrens etc. stuff was very confusing, so it'll probably help to have them explained a little better in DG.

For some reason every time I go into a used book store they have at least half the series. Might be worth checking if there's any you frequent. I got most of the books in hardcover for two bucks each or so. I payed the full anal-rape initial release price for the last one which probably negates any savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

So I think it just comes down to focus really. Erikson knows the story he wants to tell and uses his characters as a vehicle to tell it. Martin knows the characters he wants to examine and uses the story as a vehicle to make us want to see what happens to them next.

I agree with this, mostly. The "inward/outward" difference is more a function of the perspective used than either author's abilities. Erikson's characters all exist to help characterize the world he's writing about and the plot going on within it, and Martin is writing a pure character drama. They're not really similar outside of falling in the same genre. I'm not sure how a character is supposed to have unknowable motivations when their thoughts are exposed, outside of unreliable narrator shenanigans.