Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Scan that poo poo. I haven't had to provide a paper DD214, like, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zeris posted:

Scan that poo poo. I haven't had to provide a paper DD214, like, ever

Scan it and email it to yourself so you don't have to worry about it. But I used to use it all the time for free veteran's day goodies. Since then our state started putting "Veteran" on our driver's license if we ask for free, so I use that now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Delizin posted:

Storing your DD214 with the county isn't always a good idea. In a lot of counties your DD214 will become a public record that anyone can get their hands on with all of your sensitive info intact. This will put you in serious danger of having your identity stolen. If you want to keep your original safe then put it in a safety deposit box or somewhere else that people can't get access to it.

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to check on this. In mine, it's entered into the archives but it can't be accessed without a release or a court order.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I have 8 certified copies of my member 4. :boom:

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Just got my VA disability claim decision, fellas.

It only took about 5 months after my ETS date. I expect to receive about $4500 in backpay soon.

File a few months before ETS so you can complete all your exams before you leave active duty. That's important. I didn't even have a car and it was a hassle getting it all done. I bummed rides, took taxis, and rode buses to get to all my appointments. But now I'm seeing the payoff. My rating is much higher than I expected.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
On that note, if you are a broken as gently caress medboard like me, you'll be waiting for the finalized VA rating after you ETS. I was told to expect 90 days, and to plan accordingly. Then I was told that they are getting faster, and somewhere between 30 and 60 days, approaching the 30 day mark.

I got mine poo poo finalized in 7 days, so that's pretty cool. I don't think everyone's is getting punched out super fast like that, but the system is getting better. And if you haven't been told that the VA has to finalize your claim after your ETS date, then now you know.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Also, let a VSO rep prepare your filing paperwork. The guy I saw went through my entire medical history page by page.

I was only going to claim two things but with his encouragement I ended up claiming five. One of the things I wasn't going to claim ended up being rated at 30%.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

wirefire posted:

Also, let a VSO rep prepare your filing paperwork. The guy I saw went through my entire medical history page by page.

I was only going to claim two things but with his encouragement I ended up claiming five. One of the things I wasn't going to claim ended up being rated at 30%.

This can never be said enough.
CLAIM EVERYTHING. No matter how silly, or minor you think it is, or how much of a pussy you think it makes you look like for complaining. Claim it, this is your one, ONE chance to get you comeuppance, do not gently caress it up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you'd want to go out of your way to get your comeuppance.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ReverendCode posted:

This can never be said enough.
CLAIM EVERYTHING. No matter how silly, or minor you think it is, or how much of a pussy you think it makes you look like for complaining. Claim it, this is your one, ONE chance to get you comeuppance, do not gently caress it up.

Uhhh.

I don't think your using this phrase the way you mean to.

NonNCO
Feb 22, 2015
Got out two months ago, feel terrible. I had all sorts of health poo poo that the army just kept delaying and delaying until suddenly it was my ETS date and I was out. Six years in, two deployments as 11B, feel terrible physically but I gotta get out and file that poo poo with the DAV or something. I dunno, good at least to be posting with other vets.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NonNCO posted:

Got out two months ago, feel terrible. I had all sorts of health poo poo that the army just kept delaying and delaying until suddenly it was my ETS date and I was out. Six years in, two deployments as 11B, feel terrible physically but I gotta get out and file that poo poo with the DAV or something. I dunno, good at least to be posting with other vets.

Congrats on getting the gently caress out. File that poo poo ASAP and get fixed/paid.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

NonNCO posted:

Another burn pit victim?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The burn pit registry site actually works now, so make sure you do that if you've been exposed to any of that poo poo.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
File your claim with DAV now. I filed with PVA. Claim everything. Claim depression or PTSD, if you have either. Learn how this process works online, what kind of criteria they use, how the disability formula works. Disability is a compensation for your body getting destroyed at an early age, so don't feel like any of this is a scam or try to "honorably" diminish your physical and mental ailments.

Filing within the first year greatly increases your chances of getting a higher rating. I filed a month after I got out, and got my rating in the mail four months later. After the first year, though, this process gets way harder.

You should also know about individual unemployability, which bumps your rating up to 100%.

Disability compensation can also be a small source of retirement funds in your old age, so don't discount it. Especially with individual unemployability, which can be received indefinitely, even after a normal retirement age.

Bellum fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So I have enough problems to warrant me getting disability, Would me filing bar me from re-enlisting at any point in time?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I had to stand in front of a burn pit all the time in the Navy, burning all our shred bags for hours on end, where's my registry lol

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
On Sunday I had an accident. Hit my upper back and got the wind knocked out of me pretty good. Ever since then I haven't been able to breathe very well.

This morning I went to the outpatient clinic here in Harrisonburg, VA to see what could be done. Short answer: not much.

Since I haven't had my stuff transferred from Tampa, they have to do an initial provider screening in order to provide me with anything. I told the woman that I have been having trouble breathing.

So she talked to the doc and got me an inhaler prescription filled. Typically they fill prescriptions at a local Rite-Aid. Sounds good right?

I have to drive an hour and a half away to the nearest main VA pharmacy in Martinsburg, WV to pick it up. If you're willing to fill it, what's the loving difference between here and there?

This is the type of poo poo that kills people who are under the care of the VA. It's such an inefficient piece of poo poo healthcare system.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, if it gets even slightly worse, go see someone.

Same thing happened to me when I was in, and I was walking around for about 4 days before I just collapsed. Wife dragged me into the ER and I was bleeding internally. fairly serious poo poo.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

So I have enough problems to warrant me getting disability, Would me filing bar me from re-enlisting at any point in time?

To my knowledge, filing a claim doesn't bar you from re-enlisting.

But let's say you file and receive a rating and are collecting disability money and then you decide you want to go back in. In that case, you would have to give notice to the VA that you intend to return to active duty.

Basically, you can't serve and collect VA disability at the same time.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Uhhh.

I don't think your using this phrase the way you mean to.

Look, I was enlisted, I don't know from words.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Dumb VA related question that has probably been answered but w/e.

Does the $50 company for outpatient services include ER services? Because I'm planning on going there in the morning.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

USMC503 posted:

Dumb VA related question that has probably been answered but w/e.

Does the $50 company for outpatient services include ER services? Because I'm planning on going there in the morning.

I am reading through the regulations and it looks like the VA will reimburse you for emergency treatment if you fall within their eligibility guidelines. Regs are below. Good luck and I hope it's nothing too serious.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/17.108

38 CFR 17.108 - Copayments for inpatient hospital care and outpatient medical care. posted:

(e) Services not subject to copayment requirements for inpatient hospital care or outpatient medical care. The following are not subject to the copayment requirements under this section:
(9) Emergency treatment paid for under 38 U.S.C. 1725 or 1728;

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/1725

38 U.S. Code § 1725 - Reimbursement for emergency treatment posted:

(a) General Authority.—
(1) Subject to subsections (c) and (d), the Secretary shall reimburse a veteran described in subsection (b) for the reasonable value of emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility.
(2) In any case in which reimbursement is authorized under subsection (a)(1), the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may, in lieu of reimbursing the veteran, make payment of the reasonable value of the furnished emergency treatment directly—
(A) to a hospital or other health care provider that furnished the treatment; or
(B) to the person or organization that paid for such treatment on behalf of the veteran.
(b) Eligibility.—
(1) A veteran referred to in subsection (a)(1) is an individual who is an active Department health-care participant who is personally liable for emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility.
(2) A veteran is an active Department health-care participant if—
(A) the veteran is enrolled in the health care system established under section 1705 (a) of this title; and
(B) the veteran received care under this chapter within the 24-month period preceding the furnishing of such emergency treatment.
(3) A veteran is personally liable for emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility if the veteran—
(A) is financially liable to the provider of emergency treatment for that treatment;
(B) has no entitlement to care or services under a health-plan contract (determined, in the case of a health-plan contract as defined in subsection (f)(2)(B) or (f)(2)(C), without regard to any requirement or limitation relating to eligibility for care or services from any department or agency of the United States);
(C) has no other contractual or legal recourse against a third party that would, in whole, extinguish such liability to the provider; and
(D) is not eligible for reimbursement for medical care or services under section 1728 of this title.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have experience with the VA caregiver credit thing?

Someone helps me out a lot, and I would like to get them some compensation. I have a high enough rating, but am worried about how it may affect me. I have seen VA letters where people have been Brady acted and don't want that- I am not unstable or so far gone that I can't be responsible, I just need help with memory and reminders of poo poo.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

Someone helps me out a lot, and I would like to get them some compensation. I have a high enough rating, but am worried about how it may affect me. I have seen VA letters where people have been Brady acted and don't want that- I am not unstable or so far gone that I can't be responsible, I just need help with memory and reminders of poo poo.

There's two different benefits to pursue:

The first is the actual caregiver program, which is run through the VA medical centers. I don't know too much about the program, but essentially they can provide support and, I believe, some monetary recompense for a caregiver, whether that be a spouse, parent, child, etc. I'd recommend talking to your VA physician about this program. More information can be found at: http://www.caregiver.va.gov/

The other benefits is special monthly compensation based on aid and attendance, which provides an additional amount in on top of your compensation in order to pay for care provided by another person. The requirements for this benefit is that you have 1: a single service connected disability evaluated as 100 percent disabling, and 2: that you be so helpless as a result o service connected disabilities that you require the aid and attendance of another person in performing the activities of daily living. It's a fairly difficult benefit to get unless you are really severely crippled and disabled or (usually) really old.

The Brady bill comes into play anytime that VA receives evidence of incompetence, which is defined as being unable to manage your affairs in your own best interest as a result of a mental or physical defect. Usually at the most, VA will propose to declare you incompetent based on maybe a single finding that you can't manage your funds and the Brady limitation may be proposed, but if you're able to demonstrate that you're able to take care of yourself and your money, then it shouldn't be finalized and there wouldn't be any limitation on your rights.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just got my spouse on this program. It was a fairly simple process. She just had to fill out the forms and submit them and a rep contacted us and we had a phone interview. From what I got this is where you get approved for it or not. If you are they will set up a date for a nurse to come out a do a quick home visit. They are just making sure your place of living isn't full of craziness where you might hurt yourself. There is three payment tiers for it and it just gets added on top of your disability or you can choose to have it direct deposit into your caregivers account. It was honestly one of the easier processes I have ever done with the VA.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just so you're aware with the caregiver program, the VA has all but stopped processing the applications right now. Apparently for the last 4 years odd they've approved pretty much anyone who applied regardless of whether they actually qualify or not, and Congress poo poo themselves with the budget overrun. What they're doing right now is going back over alllll the frigging claims to see who actually gets it and kicking the people out who dont.

Don't let that stop you from applying though as its supposed to be retroactively paid from the date of application. And like the wounded warrior rep who handles this poo poo told me, if you're a right fuckin' mess like me and the doc evaluates you at tier 3 then it can be around 2k a month, depending on locale. They put my application in in... February I think it was so that'll be a decent bonus whenever they get around to processing it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ok, new question. Does anyone have any experience with CRSC? I will qualify for it, but can't find any specifics about it, just these sanitized overviews of what it is without any real detail.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
DD2860 is what you're looking for. Fill that out, don't make a massive novel on the form, just send it along with your approved rating decision, and your PEB/MEB results summaries if you got med boarded. If your paperwork is a bit janky and unclear on the cause of your injury, then unit reports and purple heart awards can go in there as well.

You send it off to Knox, in case you've got another address there.

You also need to get paid by the VA for the first time before it can be processed so don't send it in early because they'll probably throw the bitch out.

edit: the form pretty much has all the information you need about it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

not caring here posted:

DD2860 is what you're looking for. Fill that out, don't make a massive novel on the form, just send it along with your approved rating decision, and your PEB/MEB results summaries if you got med boarded. If your paperwork is a bit janky and unclear on the cause of your injury, then unit reports and purple heart awards can go in there as well.

You send it off to Knox, in case you've got another address there.

You also need to get paid by the VA for the first time before it can be processed so don't send it in early because they'll probably throw the bitch out.

edit: the form pretty much has all the information you need about it.

My PEB is finishing up, I am sending back the final forms to have it completed and orders cut. I have been VA rated for years. Not to sound like a money grubbing shithead, but what does CRSC do exactly? I have seen three sites tell me three different things, but am still a little in the dark as to what exactly it does.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, I'll try not to gently caress this up.

CRSC is when you are receiving disability money from the VA, and are waiving retirement money from the army or whatever to get it. Basically, up until 5 years ago or whatever, you had to give up x amount of retirement money, to get paid the same amount in disability. Basically, you couldn't double dip. It worked out that you either got the higher of a) VA money, b) retirement money.

If you are eligible for CRSC it gives you back your retirement money. Now, if you haven't done your 20 years, you aren't exactly eligible for a full retirement, so don't get too excited. It gets prorated. So humble old E4 with a few years in gets his legs blown off picks up an extra 150 bucks a month or something. It's super good if you were close to retirement.

Of course, if you've put in your 20 then the military machine will look after you and you then get CRDP I think it's called, and pick up your full retirement and your disability money.

And you aren't a money grubbing shithead, it's now your chance to gently caress uncle sam with his own rules in exchange for all those times he hosed you.

I think I got that right, it's fuckin' complicated to me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

not caring here posted:

Okay, I'll try not to gently caress this up.

CRSC is when you are receiving disability money from the VA, and are waiving retirement money from the army or whatever to get it. Basically, up until 5 years ago or whatever, you had to give up x amount of retirement money, to get paid the same amount in disability. Basically, you couldn't double dip. It worked out that you either got the higher of a) VA money, b) retirement money.

If you are eligible for CRSC it gives you back your retirement money. Now, if you haven't done your 20 years, you aren't exactly eligible for a full retirement, so don't get too excited. It gets prorated. So humble old E4 with a few years in gets his legs blown off picks up an extra 150 bucks a month or something. It's super good if you were close to retirement.

Of course, if you've put in your 20 then the military machine will look after you and you then get CRDP I think it's called, and pick up your full retirement and your disability money.

And you aren't a money grubbing shithead, it's now your chance to gently caress uncle sam with his own rules in exchange for all those times he hosed you.

I think I got that right, it's fuckin' complicated to me.

Ok, so I am being medically retired at 100%, which gets knocked down to 75% of my 100% pay because that is the max the Army gives me. I sure as poo poo don't have 20 in, so they will prorate that 75%?
I know I have a gently caress ton of probably unanswerable questions, but this is new unknown territory for me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, I wish I could answer your question better, but my brains are mushed up pretty good.

But if I'm understanding you right, yes, 75% is the max that the army will ever give anyone. Yes, they will prorate your years of service.

There should be a worksheet in your med board packet that explains what the army was gonna give you, prorated, if army retirement was all you are gonna get. CRSC is supposed to restore that.

I hope that answers what you asked.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I just found out you can get a free shellfish license in Oregon if you're disabled but you need a 25% rating to save $8 a year. My rating isn't high enough :(

So the gov doesn't mind letting me camp for free, getting there in a vehicle with free registration because of vet plates, but they'll let me starve to death when I get there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

I just found out you can get a free shellfish license in Oregon if you're disabled but you need a 25% rating to save $8 a year. My rating isn't high enough :(

So the gov doesn't mind letting me camp for free, getting there in a vehicle with free registration because of vet plates, but they'll let me starve to death when I get there.

Motherfucker bring some trail mix.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Oregon is stupid. There is no such thing as a 25% disability rating from the VA.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Delizin posted:

Oregon is stupid. There is no such thing as a 25% disability rating from the VA.

Also free disabled vet plates but they charge extra if you have the non-disabled flavor of veteran plates (i.e Afghanistan campaign medal, etc)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

USMC503 posted:

Also free disabled vet plates but they charge extra if you have the non-disabled flavor of veteran plates (i.e Afghanistan campaign medal, etc)

The registration stuff is free but the initial plate costs money.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Copying the following info from the gip hangouts thread, because pandasmores is a loving moron & go here first.

quote:

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys get medboarded, and if you did, do you keep records of your visits with professionals outside of the military?
medical professionals I mean
Because, just an FYI, if you ever get med boarded or someone you know gets med boarded and you're put on the TDRL list and not the PDRL list, you need to check-in at the nearest Mlitary Treatment Facility for your branch of service every 18 months.
It helps that you have any medical records from your time receiving care on the outside, especially for med boarded conditions dealing in Mental health.

quote:

yeah it's a pain the first time if you forgot and you've been receiving care somewhere, but it's easier if you keep track of new appointments and request a record of it every 2 months or so just to make sure you're ready for the next review period
TDRLs have to be seen every 18 months, with a total of at least 3 18 month periods before they go to switch from the temporary disability list to the permanent disability list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

The registration stuff is free but the initial plate costs money.

I just renewed the registration on my afghan campaign medal plates and I can assure you those are not free, and there is, iirc, an extra $15 fee attached to them. Disabled vet plates are in fact registration fee free though.

• Locked thread