Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

USMC503 posted:

I just renewed the registration on my afghan campaign medal plates and I can assure you those are not free, and there is, iirc, an extra $15 fee attached to them. Disabled vet plates are in fact registration fee free though.

Yeah, I just meant the basic ones. Those aren't free to get but then the registration fee is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jesus Christ, time to add the VA to my email spam filter

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Copying the following info from the gip hangouts thread, because pandasmores is a loving moron & go here first.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys get medboarded, and if you did, do you keep records of your visits with professionals outside of the military?
medical professionals I mean
Because, just an FYI, if you ever get med boarded or someone you know gets med boarded and you're put on the TDRL list and not the PDRL list, you need to check-in at the nearest Mlitary Treatment Facility for your branch of service every 18 months.
It helps that you have any medical records from your time receiving care on the outside, especially for med boarded conditions dealing in Mental health.

I thought you had to actually travel to the place you were first examined? I would know the answer to this if the guy at the medboard place answered his phone or ever called back, or if the rep didn't tell me to wait, leave for 20 minutes, and then tell me he's out of time. I'm about to do a re-evaluation and I'm wondering how it will go. The minor things (hosed up back and ears) were made worse when I was going to the VA, to the point where I needed urgent ear surgery to save my hearing. Thankfully I ditched the VA just in time, turns out that was blood! Having only one hard to get a hold of dude make appointments for the whole area made it tough too.

On top of that, besides the fact that I have an approved claim, the VA apparently seems to have no records of me before enrolling at my local VA hospital. And then my dumb rear end didn't keep a copy of my medical record, because I was in a hurry and it was explained to me that they were all just scanned and emailed anyways, so how could they lose them? :v: So all I have is the records from when my poo poo got worse at the VA and the university hospital I eventually went to for care.

Frankly I could give a poo poo less about staying on TDRL, but I'm going to be pissed if there's some way they get the last loving-over in and keep me from getting severance. In fact, the major part of my rating (sadbrains) got better because the doctor I saw refused to see me after I refused to take any more psychotropic fugue-inducing drugs. Turns out that the combo of that and of being in a familiar place doing good things works wonders for mood. Since I never really got treatment, I expect they'll strike me off of the TDRL real quick, which is fine, because I am well as far as that is concerned.

So I guess, without all the venting, my questions are: Do I need to travel back to do my evaluation? Can I just not do it and still get my severance so I can be done dealing with the VA and the travel? What do they expect to find, or for me to show? What is the likely outcome in my situation?

... I didn't see how old as gently caress that post was.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2015

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

dougdrums posted:

I
Frankly I could give a poo poo less about staying on TDRL, but I'm going to be pissed if there's some way they get the last loving-over in and keep me from getting severance. In fact, the major part of my rating (sadbrains) got better because the doctor I saw refused to see me after I refused to take any more psychotropic fugue-inducing drugs. Turns out that the combo of that and of being in a familiar place doing good things works wonders for mood. Since I never really got treatment, I expect they'll strike me off of the TDRL real quick, which is fine, because I am well as far as that is concerned.

So I guess, without all the venting, my questions are: Do I need to travel back to do my evaluation? Can I just not do it and still get my severance so I can be done dealing with the VA and the travel? What do they expect to find, or for me to show? What is the likely outcome in my situation?

... I didn't see how old as gently caress that post was.

First off, yes, you do want to stay on TDRL and then get on PDRL as you'll be able to base privileges (whatever) and Tricare. Combined with private insurance through work, it means usually 100% of your healthcare is covered. Severance pay is only a one time thing, and VA will withhold compensation until that amount is recouped, so it's not a net benefit in the long run.

With TDRL it's a five year process with examinations at 18 month intervals. They will usually send you a letter telling you where and when to report. For whatever stupid reason they kept sending me to the Air Force Academy, which was 1000 miles away, rather than Hill AFB, which is about a 30 minute drive, but hopefully they'll send you somewhere nearer to your home. If you have to travel, you'll at least get mileage out of it.

Unlike the med board process, when you went through the Integrated Disability Evaluation System for both VA and DOD, these re-examinations are solely for DOD purposes to determine whether or not to keep you on TDRL, discharge you with severance pay, or move you to PDRL. Your compensation from VA won't be affected, but if stuff has gotten worse, you can always use those examinations to support an increase. DoD should be using the same criteria as VA in evaluating disabilities, so the same rules for VA exams applies. I'm not certain, but I think the cut off for PDRL is 30%.

Oh, and if your service treatment records are missing, you may be able to get a copy of them at your nearest MTF. Everything from about the last 7 years has been stored electronically in AHLTA, so they may be able to just print you out a copy.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Hey guys, can anyone answer some questions about the 5 years of health insurance for OEF/OIF vets? Can I use it when I'm sick or is it a service connected thing? Does it meet the ACA requirements of health insurance? I basically did not hear about this program until I dropped my records off at the DAV and I don't understand what I'm getting despite looking at the VA website.
PS being out/on terminal is loving rad.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You can use it for whatever, doesn't need to be related to your service. Go on down to your local VA and register there. It meets the requirements for the ACA, but go get yourself decent healthcare elsewhere, also. VA healthcare, like everything else government-purchased, is really hit-or-miss... mostly miss.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Consummate Professional posted:

Hey guys, can anyone answer some questions about the 5 years of health insurance for OEF/OIF vets? Can I use it when I'm sick or is it a service connected thing? Does it meet the ACA requirements of health insurance? I basically did not hear about this program until I dropped my records off at the DAV and I don't understand what I'm getting despite looking at the VA website.
PS being out/on terminal is loving rad.

Its for anything and I think is for 6 years from discharge. It generally is not great, but certainly is better than not having health insurance.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

cult_hero posted:

First off, yes, you do want to stay on TDRL and then get on PDRL as you'll be able to base privileges (whatever) and Tricare. Combined with private insurance through work, it means usually 100% of your healthcare is covered. Severance pay is only a one time thing, and VA will withhold compensation until that amount is recouped, so it's not a net benefit in the long run.

With TDRL it's a five year process with examinations at 18 month intervals. They will usually send you a letter telling you where and when to report. For whatever stupid reason they kept sending me to the Air Force Academy, which was 1000 miles away, rather than Hill AFB, which is about a 30 minute drive, but hopefully they'll send you somewhere nearer to your home. If you have to travel, you'll at least get mileage out of it.

Unlike the med board process, when you went through the Integrated Disability Evaluation System for both VA and DOD, these re-examinations are solely for DOD purposes to determine whether or not to keep you on TDRL, discharge you with severance pay, or move you to PDRL. Your compensation from VA won't be affected, but if stuff has gotten worse, you can always use those examinations to support an increase. DoD should be using the same criteria as VA in evaluating disabilities, so the same rules for VA exams applies. I'm not certain, but I think the cut off for PDRL is 30%.

Oh, and if your service treatment records are missing, you may be able to get a copy of them at your nearest MTF. Everything from about the last 7 years has been stored electronically in AHLTA, so they may be able to just print you out a copy.

Awesome, you told me everything I needed to know! Thanks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Its for anything and I think is for 6 years from discharge. It generally is not great, but certainly is better than not having health insurance.

It was definitely 5 years as of 2013.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's 5 and I've had good experiences with it. That's my story

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Thanks for the help guys. All I got told in TAPS about insurance was "thanks Obama, everyone is screwing it up". Knowing I'm not breaking the law instantly is good.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

It was definitely 5 years as of 2013.

Yeah I heard they were extending it for a year as of last year when they changed the rules regarding living over 200 miles from a VA facility or whatever. Can't find a link right now but I'm like 90% sure I read that, not that sure that it's true.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Using my VA loan benefits to buy a condo in Hawaii. The seller wants us to agree to pay the difference between appraisal and purchase price, if any. From what I'm reading in the VA Escape Clause, it takes precedence over other agreements in the contract, meaning if we didn't want to(we'll pay a certain difference, but too much will clean us out) the law means that we can't be forced to sacrifice any money, correct?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You'll have to fight it in court either way. The seller is being a dickhead and probably asking more than it's worth.

Maybe see if you can agree to pay the difference up to a certain amount? Otherwise I'd pass. They're setting you up to get hosed, probably because they bought before the crash.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
So for the free healthcare thing, does this mean I can omit having 3rd party health insurance until the 5 years is up? I have had a surgery done through the va for a non service related injury, and it was free because I was awarded a purple heart while I was in. Money is a little tight this semester...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

elite_garbage_man posted:

So for the free healthcare thing, does this mean I can omit having 3rd party health insurance until the 5 years is up? I have had a surgery done through the va for a non service related injury, and it was free because I was awarded a purple heart while I was in. Money is a little tight this semester...

During my outbrief, the VA rep said that even if you're lowest rung priority(veteran with no disabilities), it still counts for Affordable Care Act coverage for the rest of your life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I received multiple notices through the mail from the VA that the 5-year coverage meets ACA requirements.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Alright cool. I just need to get my rear end in there and get a healthcare card.

Yeah my surgery went pretty smooth, and it was free. Also, considering how jam packed that particular va was, I got taken care of pretty quickly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I got that notice too. However there's no proof as far as a card goes unless I'm missing something. Everyone's benefits vary slightly. I'm sure they can print something off for you. But otherwise just a generic VA ID

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of quickly, I realized the other day that my Disney funbiucks were getting paid to me like I was single. Went onto ebenefits, updated spouse information, and bam, got paid all the arrears money the next day.

It's far from perfect, but whoever is in charge over there seems to be doing something right.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Does the VA actually look into disability rating appeals or should I not bother? After a year I got my decision letter back saying that my condition is service connected but doesn't warrant a rating(I've basically lost most of my central vision in one eye and have no depth perception/and a bunch of other crap with the eye) ? I filed through a county veteran office last time but literally never heard anything from them after they filed so I still have no idea how any of this crap works.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have no idea how an appeal works but by all means, especially if you truly feel you're entitled to it and it's service related. Worst you'll get is no.

See if you can find a local DAV office? They're a great bunch. I know there's different options for filing and it bums me out to hear how long and arduous the process was for some of you. Start to finish mine was about 2-3 months including registering with the VA, getting and going to appointments, etc

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 24, 2015

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Bogarts posted:

Does the VA actually look into disability rating appeals or should I not bother? After a year I got my decision letter back saying that my condition is service connected but doesn't warrant a rating(I've basically lost most of my central vision in one eye and have no depth perception/and a bunch of other crap with the eye) ? I filed through a county veteran office last time but literally never heard anything from them after they filed so I still have no idea how any of this crap works.

You need a proper VSO. You're going blind and this poo poo is service connected? You could and should be getting a whole lot more, if not 100% through individual unemployability. The DAV is as good as any.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Bogarts posted:

Eyes are difficult disabilities for which to get a compensable evaluation as you need to demonstrate a fairly significant level of impairment. VA also uses a lot antiquated language and terminology that doesn't fit 100% with every situation, so a lot of it will depend on what kind of medical evidence can be produced.

I would recommend that you first look at the VA schedule for rating eye conditions located here:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=38:1.0.1.1.5#se38.1.4_179

And then have your eye doctor complete the eye form located here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

Appeals additionally tend to take longer as they are more involved and the regional office has to make absolutely certain that they can't grant before the claim is sent to the board of Veterans Appeals. Providing your own medical evidence support your claim and avoiding the need to have VA get an examination not only saves a lot of time, but also ensures that you know what's being considered in your claim.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm kind of drunk but in the past hasn't the VA just pretty much told vets to get their disability poo poo through the state and Medicare

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm kind of drunk but in the past hasn't the VA just pretty much told vets to get their disability poo poo through the state and Medicare

Every time I contacted the VA asking what the hell was taking so long with my claim (I had been backlogged several times over) they told me to contact a VSO.

I contacted a VSO and within a couple weeks my claim was denied!

Without benefit of an exam!

gently caress the VA.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Edit: wrong thread

AFStealth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 26, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I filed the second week of july. No phone call or letter in the mail yet to schedule my exams, even though the ebenefits site said they mailed something out.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I filed november 2014 and didn't get an exam till july 2015. Also don't check ebenefits constantly because it will pretty much always say "Development letter sent" and its a terrible indication of when anything will get done and you will drive yourself crazy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You guys are leaving the military. And relying upon an organization responsible for more veteran deaths than the military in recent years. Why the gently caress are you expecting everything to happen quickly and accurately?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you actually have some foresight and plan ahead it can be quite smooth. The problem is people are too lazy to make copies of their poo poo, go to medical to document things, and just collaborate it all in general. It's a big headache but from DAV appointment to sitting in the office for my exam was about 4-5 weeks

I'm not trying to call out anyone here just trying to instill the process of planning into the heads of whoever reads this. People are so used to the Military doing everything. Show up do your job etc. Then they go sign their dd214 and send off their record and then decide to file 3 months down the line and wonder why it's taking forever for some e-2 in a gigantic warehouse on the East Coast to find your poo poo

More than happy to help anyone with the process from start to finish. It's a bit arduous and sometimes tough to actually know what the gently caress the steps are. Especially when your lifer COC is clueless because, well, they decided to stay in. Seriously every command needs an EAS rep or some poo poo. I know some more or less have one but yeah.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 26, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That rep should also be a civilian; and not just a civilian, but a veteran; and not just a veteran, but a disabled veteran so that they a) give a poo poo and b) have a loving clue.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I have a copy of my entire medical record that I'll be taking in tomorrow, and giving the VSO a call as well to check up on my claim.

In the mean time I'll be getting another job/internship.

I'm not too worried even though I'm in a spot that I put myself in for not doing this years ago because of gay pride

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did you also ask for your electronic notes to all be printed off? They are at the MTF and then are "supposed" to be filed into your record but yeah.

Also unemployment?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
What does MTF stand for?

also yes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Military Treatment Facility. Hospital, BAS, clinic, etc.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
So I was granted 100% P&T last year and because of that it qualified my wife for Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents education benefits. My wife already has about 3 years of college under her belt, but due to a whole slew of different reason she wasn't able to finish her degree while I was in the military. She is starting at a new school next week and has changed her major to engineering which meant a lot of her credits didn't transfer and it will take her about 2.5-3 years to finish now. When she was getting her chapter 35 stuff pushed through the VA education rep told her that because she already has some college under her belt that she can request back pay for all or some of the months that she already attended.

I know practically nothing about this program except that they are going to be paying her like $1100/month while she is in school for up to 45 months.

My questions are:
Can she collect back pay for the college she already attended even if it was prior to me being awarded 100% P&T?
If she can receive pack pay, would there be any reason not to request like 12 months worth of back pay so that by the time she finishes her degree the full 45 months are used up instead of having an extra 12 or so months left over?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with how long CRSC takes to get processed/approved? I know when I first applied (early, like my idiot PEBLO told me to) they denied it in four days, so I am expecting several years to get approved.
E: I know what the website says, but I was hoping for a real experience.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 29, 2015

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
So I got out at the end of November 14 TDRL at 50%. I have been going to treatment quite often even though what I have been getting superscribed hasnt worked to well but we are working on that, I have some therapy appointments starting in October and have been attending all of my other appointments like physical therapy and whatnot. I knew a reexamination letter was coming (was told they had up to 4yrs to do it), my question is has anyone else gotten one in this kinda timeframe. poo poo caught me off guard and man I hate talking to another new person about my issues but whatever. It said I had 30 days to send evidence and a local facility will contact me with an appointment date and time. The thing is all of my treatment has been at the VA facility down the road, so im not sure I have any evidence to submit. Anyone?

poo poo isnt going better and then i get poo poo like this in the mail makes me loving worry man

Things I should expect?

all apologies fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I haven't had to do any of the TDRL stuff, but as far as submitting evidence, you should get a copy of all of your records from the VA then go through them to find the ones that you think best support your claim and turn them in. Of course the VA already has access to all of these records, but by submitting these ones separately it helps ensure that they look at these in a little bit more depth than they might have otherwise. You can also have letters from family, friends, coworkers, etc. that support your claim if it is something that can be observed by non-medical personnel or if it helps put together a picture of how your disability affects your life.

From how I understand the TDRL re-evaluations work is that they will be looking for evidence and medical opinions that your condition has stabilized so they can assign a permanent rating. If they think you are doing better and it is likely to stay that way they can remove you from TDRL and even return you to active duty to finish your contract. If your condition is still unstable they will probably continue your TDRL until it stabilizes.

For this exam, you probably won't be seeing your usual provider. Instead I think that you it will be sent to another doctor similar to a C&P. What this doctor includes in their report will strongly influence what happens to you.

I'll tell you what my DAV rep told me about these exams: Make sure that you don't play it tough with these guys, tell them exactly how everything is on your worst day.

Edit: Also I remember some people on pebforum.com (great resource btw) talking about having to do their TDRL interviews for mental health over the phone, so that might be the case too.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread