Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have full medical at 30%, but I haven't paid a copay yet besides on my scripts. I'm scared to ask because they may figure out I'm scamming them or something. I may have them on low income? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

All I know is that 50% is the magic number to not pay for anything includings meds. Does not include dental and vision.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Im 40% and all I pay is 8 dollars for a prescription, nothing else. But im poor as gently caress atm

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Master Bateman posted:

All I know is that 50% is the magic number to not pay for anything includings meds. Does not include dental and vision.

I still pay to see private doctors and buy my own prescriptions because gently caress VA healthcare forever IMO

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
I appreciate all the info guys. Do I just call one of the medical centers to see if my package was ever accepted, or is there some place online that I check this?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How long ago was it sent? I called and they had never seen mine after like 2 weeks. Was a bit urgent so one guy was helpful and I faxed my poo poo over and he registered me that day.

If you have the time and the medical center isn't far I'd just go do it in person man

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Yeah, it was sent in April, so I'm guessing it got VA'd. I'll take the time next week to harass them, thanks guys!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I pay no copay, I have a purple heart but its not on the list?

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Oops, wrong benefits thread. This needs to go in Education benefits.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress gently caress gently caress. I'm a master procrastinator. I thought this was the last week to work on my disability app that you're allowed 365 days to work on, but apparently it expired 4 days ago and I lost my claim date. I suck at life.

In fairness, I had the website eat a 6 hour thing I wrote two weeks ago, and the site easily has more lag and outages than any website I've ever used (never used healthcare.gov though). Still, that's some unknown amount of money down the drain.

I could look on the bright side, I have a lot more time to develop a better claim. It's tough because the main witness to my experience in the Navy was my C.O. and I found out a week ago that he wound up going to the brig for taking bribes from other countries, that explains why he disappeared from Facebook. The VA I joined closed down recently due to lack of interest. I feel more than a bit stranded at this point.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I think I've read some of you guys getting processed in a more timely manner by 3rd party organizations. Correct me if I'm wrong, or please post the info where they can be reached. Thank you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do we ask VA loan questions in here? If so, has anyone worked with a good lender that will do VA loans for condos?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can anyone tell me what the holdup is on my VA CCD record download? I've checked it twice lately (~2 weeks) and it still says "updating".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

Do we ask VA loan questions in here? If so, has anyone worked with a good lender that will do VA loans for condos?

You really want to use your VA loan on a condo? Not trying to be a dick, but unless that condo is Three Olives imaginary level of condo then I would hold off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You really want to use your VA loan on a condo? Not trying to be a dick, but unless that condo is Three Olives imaginary level of condo then I would hold off.

What the gently caress are you talking about. A condo isn't better or worse than any other type of house, as long as it is appropriate for your needs and the condo fees are reasonable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You can use a VA loan more than once. A condo is basically my only option in the DC area unless I want to have a ridiculous commute or somehow become a millionaire and can afford a $900,000 dollar SFH.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

You can use a VA loan more than once. A condo is basically my only option in the DC area unless I want to have a ridiculous commute or somehow become a millionaire and can afford a $900,000 dollar SFH.

Thought a VA loan was only once? Maybe it's that way for Guard/Reserve?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

elite_garbage_man posted:

I think I've read some of you guys getting processed in a more timely manner by 3rd party organizations. Correct me if I'm wrong, or please post the info where they can be reached. Thank you.

The Purple Heart foundation was great and helps anyone, not just Purple Heart recipients. Google them and see if there is a local one

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Thought a VA loan was only once? Maybe it's that way for Guard/Reserve?

Ok, a VA loan isn't really that big a unicorn. All it means is that instead of a down payment, the VA will guarantee the bank a certain portion of the loan, up to a certain dollar amount (I don't know what it is). You still go through a normal bank (I don't know any bank that doesn't want to work with these, but YMMV. I got my loan through Wells Fargo because they had a better deal than USAA at the time). If you use up to the full amount (you generally will) then that's that. UNTIL you sell the home or refinance, freeing up your VA guarantee again.

So basically, you get to use it once at a time.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Godholio posted:

Ok, a VA loan isn't really that big a unicorn. All it means is that instead of a down payment, the VA will guarantee the bank a certain portion of the loan, up to a certain dollar amount (I don't know what it is). You still go through a normal bank (I don't know any bank that doesn't want to work with these, but YMMV. I got my loan through Wells Fargo because they had a better deal than USAA at the time). If you use up to the full amount (you generally will) then that's that. UNTIL you sell the home or refinance, freeing up your VA guarantee again.

So basically, you get to use it once at a time.

Some regions speak VA more than others. Not that anyone would buy in NYC here (assuming) but good luck finding an agent or bank who will deal with the VA's hoops.

It's an extra hassle for banks that are often already hesitant to get their dicks smacked for predatory lending or anything which might be perceived as predatory lending.

Also secondhand experience in buying with a VA loan is that you'll spend twice as long jumping thru hoops (extra inspections etc) and routing paperwork thru another layer of bureaucracy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I bought my house, there was no extra work. I had to print my certificate off their website. That's pretty much it. It didn't take any longer, we didn't have to push the closing date at all, none of that poo poo. That stuff depends on the realtor(s) more than anything. If they're blaming the VA, they're most likely lying (a friend's wife was a realtor, dealt with it all the time).

The only "hoop" is that it has to pass an inspection, which is actually not looking for anything crazy and isn't very different from what the bank will demand anyway. poo poo like cracks in the foundation, toxic mold, etc. The list is online. If a house won't pass the inspection YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE THERE ANYWAY.

You're probably right that it's tougher in some areas though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zeris posted:

Some regions speak VA more than others. Not that anyone would buy in NYC here (assuming) but good luck finding an agent or bank who will deal with the VA's hoops.

It's an extra hassle for banks that are often already hesitant to get their dicks smacked for predatory lending or anything which might be perceived as predatory lending.

Also secondhand experience in buying with a VA loan is that you'll spend twice as long jumping thru hoops (extra inspections etc) and routing paperwork thru another layer of bureaucracy.

I've heard the opposite where I'm at, but it's probably a regional thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that too, the VA loan just lets you use a smaller down payment. For me it was a giant waste of time, they required me to go to weeks of personal finance classes 40 miles away, and ultimately the condo I bought had an affordable 20% down payment and using them gained me no favorable interest rates and would have added more bureaucracy so I just got an ordinary first-time homebuyer mortgage.

It can be great for some people but is not a charity like USAA auto insurance is or anything.

Edit: oh I remember the deal breaker now, they wouldn't mortgage the condo I picked because the owner occupancy was below 75%. Well whatever, it was a 68k condo and in five years I paid it off and paid off a second condo I rent now. A lot of red tape for what wasn't a big deal to just do through normal banks.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress? I did not have to take a class. :stare: I've never heard of that. I guess there really IS some variation. It's definitely worth looking into, at least.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Just bought my house with a VA loan. It was really simple and quick. The guy who did the VA inspection was the same guy who would have done with regular mortgage inspection anyway. I ended up saving about 1.5% APR by going with a VA over a conventional, that combined with not having to worry about having the full 20% down payment and wasting money on PMI put much nicer homes in my price range. There were no classes that I had to attend and the VA doesn't require classes. It could be a stipulation from one particular lender, but gently caress them. Plenty of other banks out there that would love to take your money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Mine might have been extra weird because it was during the peak of the mortgage crash. I did get the $8000 first time homebuyer Obama bucks at least. Wish they'd do that again.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Mine might have been extra weird because it was during the peak of the mortgage crash. I did get the $8000 first time homebuyer Obama bucks at least. Wish they'd do that again.

You mean inflate house prices by $8000?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Housing prices were inflated long before that program. Ask my savings account.

damastas
Oct 15, 2012
I'm trying to file for unemployment and have service 2 copies of my DD214, but the case working is saying the "Member 4 copy" is what's required. From google researching service 2 and member 4 are identical, and member 4 is only mailed to you after you separate. There is no other way to obtain it, any future requested copies are service 2 copies.

Am I SOL? Is there another way to get a member 4 copy? Should service 2 copy be sufficient?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

damastas posted:

I'm trying to file for unemployment and have service 2 copies of my DD214, but the case working is saying the "Member 4 copy" is what's required. From google researching service 2 and member 4 are identical, and member 4 is only mailed to you after you separate. There is no other way to obtain it, any future requested copies are service 2 copies.

Am I SOL? Is there another way to get a member 4 copy? Should service 2 copy be sufficient?

just send the service 2 copy. I've never seen anyone actually care about what copy they get.

damastas
Oct 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just send the service 2 copy. I've never seen anyone actually care about what copy they get.

The case worker (who has to physically see the copy) specifically said it has to be the member 4 copy. But based on your statement in reality the service 2 copy should be fine, guess I'll have to try to convince him of that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did you never get the part 4?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You should have been given Member 4 when you separated. Regardless, go to eBenefits; up at the top, under Manage, click on Documents and Records, then Military Personnel File. On the right, you will see several options; select Request Your OMPF Information and put in your email and check all of the boxes. Your request should be fulfilled quickly. Once you get the email, hit View Your Retrieved OMPDF Information and select which files you want, then click Display Selected Files at the bottom. Bingo.

Should be pretty painless, I just did the whole thing as I typed this. The page the site serves up with your files on it may be broken. If you are using Firefox and don't see the Display Selected Files button, right-click within the area that shows the files and do This Frame -> Open Frame in New Tab.

e: And it gives you DD-214 Service 2. Welp.

damastas posted:

But based on your statement in reality the service 2 copy should be fine, guess I'll have to try to convince him of that.
Do this. It's the same thing.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 11, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Member 4 should be on file with the VA and your state VA, but I believe it requires you to jump through some hoops to obtain because it can be used to steal the everliving poo poo out of your identity.

Note to everyone: file your member 4 with your county records office and get a bunch of certified copies made.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Note to everyone: file your member 4 with your county records office and get a bunch of certified copies made.

Not trying to be dumb. But, why?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I was told the same. It's so if you lose the one you have you can easily get a certified copy instead of jumping through hoops with the VA.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you aren't treating your DD214 like the rainbow spewing piece of holy gold it is you don't deserve it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does the county keep the original or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Storing your DD214 with the county isn't always a good idea. In a lot of counties your DD214 will become a public record that anyone can get their hands on with all of your sensitive info intact. This will put you in serious danger of having your identity stolen. If you want to keep your original safe then put it in a safety deposit box or somewhere else that people can't get access to it.

• Locked thread