Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Ugh, loving VA. I put in a claim when I got back from Iraq and had my C&P exam done while I was visiting my parents because they live five minutes from a VA medical center. That was about a year ago. No matter how many times I try to change my address with them, the VA still sends mail to my parents' house.

Then when I filed my appeal (my knees are going and they gave me 0% on both) they claimed that I told them I wanted the American Legion to represent me during the process. I have no idea where they came up with that, because when I wrote my appeal letter I never used the words "American" or "Legion," let alone any combination of the two.

So far I see the inability to process a change of address and, apparently, the willingness to fabricate statements attributed to me. This isn't going to end well, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

If you're just going through regular va channels you will be hosed. There should be an OEF/OIF office at the hospital where they will fast track you.

Other than that the va takes it's sweet rear end time doing anything.

It was the OEF/OIF office giving me the runaround. When I finally saw someone, the dude who had been ignoring my calls and e-mails for months was listed as the guy you see if you had comments/concerns/complains about the program.

I decided not to tell him what I thought of him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know if tinnitus without hearing loss is an actual compensation(able?) thing?

Man I hope so. Mine's getting really annoying.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
edit: never mind, completely irrelevant

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I know AGR and other Guard Soldiers get the shaft in many situations because they are serving full time under Title 32 (which does not count), but will ADOS-RC orders count because it's "real" AD time serving under Title 10?

I think they changed it so that Title 32 orders count. However, ADT time, such as AT, still does not.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Anyone appealed their disability rating? I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect this to take.

A year and a half and counting. In the letter I received acknowledging receipt of my appeal, they talked about poo poo I never said in my letter such as appointing the American Legion to represent me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FooGoo posted:

Did you have the option for a DRO review before going to appeal? How long did that take?

If I did, nobody told me about it. So I guess it was pretty quick?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Wooty posted:

To be rated 100% mental health, you have to be in very bad shape.

Really? I thought all it takes was going AWOL in Kyrgyzstan to get an abortion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My last VA regional hospital left me stranded at a completely different hospital because they had to transfer me. Apparently they didn't have anyone who could do an ultrasound in their ER at 7:30 PM on a Tuesday.

Then they tried to dodge the bill and make me pay it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Isn't going to the ER for a non-emergency thing the worst thing you could do since it ties up resources and time from the ER staff and is the reason why wait times at ERs are so heinous....

I didn't know it wasn't an emergency at the time. Also I was the only person in the waiting room at the ER.

Still took an hour to see me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm at 258 days since I filed my claim and I'm still waiting on my loving C&P.

Hopefully contacting my senator has lit a fire under it. At least I'm going to get a shitton of backpay when they finally deny my claim and I appeal it successfully in 2021.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The disability claim I filed in January has unexpectedly gone from "collecting evidence" to "preparation of notification," presumably because I got a VSO to work on it.

Though I am concerned that the VA has made a decision regarding my shoulder without scheduling me for a C&P.

I'm completely expecting them to grant me a 0% rating, forcing me into appeals hell.

But I'm not going to yell too loudly for now, on the outside chance they gave me an actual rating.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp, I was wrong. I didn't get 0%.

They told me that my shoulder injury is unrelated to my service.

Moral of the story, kids: Get every single last thing documented. That stiff shoulder you think will go away? It might not and might get worse.

Welcome to appeals hell, I guess.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

cult_hero posted:

Out of interest, why did they deny you?

The main reasons I see disabilities denied is either 1: they weren't seen for it in service, or 2: there's no evidence that it's related to service. If it's the first, VA recognizes that that you're not going to the BAS everytime you get an owie. If you mentioned it to anyone while you were in or saw a doctor off base, that would usually be enough to get over that hurdle. if it's the second and you were seen during service, but maybe you don't like going to the doctor, first write a quick statement about your injury and your current symptoms something like "I fell off my jungle gym and hurt my shoulder while I was in army. My shoulder still hurts, but I'm afraid of doctors." Or alternatively you can have your current doctor write a quick letter indicating that your current disability is related to an event in service, something like "Mr. McNally hurt his shoulder while bowling in 20XX. I believe his current acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis is related to this injury."

No denial is insurmountable if you have a legitimate claim, it's usually just a matter of doing some leg work to get the evidence together.

It's the first one. I'm going to start asking buddies who were with me to write letters saying "yeah, I remember him bitching about his drat shoulder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm kind of drunk but in the past hasn't the VA just pretty much told vets to get their disability poo poo through the state and Medicare

Every time I contacted the VA asking what the hell was taking so long with my claim (I had been backlogged several times over) they told me to contact a VSO.

I contacted a VSO and within a couple weeks my claim was denied!

Without benefit of an exam!

gently caress the VA.

• Locked thread