Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
How long o appeals typically take? A few months ago, someone at the Vet Center helped me appeal two claims and file a new one. I've received multiple notices regarding the new claim including a C&P exam, but never heard anything regarding the appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Two questions for those who are knowledgeable:

1) For the appeals I submitted, I'm trying to see some civilian docs to say my issue is military duty related (since the VA doc wouldn't say it other than "possibly..."). If I get this additional evidence, who/where should I send it so it gets processed with my appeal?

2) I have a former 82nd buddy who's still in the Guard. His knees are shot but refuses to file a claim because last time he brought it up at a physical and they tried to med discharge him. I'm trying to convince him that VA /= military med (right?). Since it's been a few years, what should his first step be? Get a diagnosis from a civilian doc then start the claims process?

Congrats to those of you who have an awesome advocate. The first time I filed I went to the DAV (in West LA for any SoCal goons) and the dude was a dick. He still got my claim filed, but I've never gone back or recommended them to anyone.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Do VA payments have any sort of paystub I can look at or otherwise figure out what a particular payment is for?

I was receiving $123.00 per month for disability, however I didn't receive it for the month of August, which I assumed because I submitted the waiver for it since I reenlisted. This month however, I received a payment for $12.30 for some reason.

Is it possible they were trying to pay me $123.00 but misplaced the decimal? Why else would I receive $12.30 for "VA benefits"?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is it normal to not hear a peep about the status of a claims appeal?

I filed an appeal along with a new claim almost a year ago. I got those "We're working on it letters" every few months for the new claim and finally got the result today. However, I haven't heard anything about the appeal. Is this normal for appeals or have I gotten lost in the sauce?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

vx15i posted:

Appeals take 2-7 years. You can check the status:

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/

Wow thanks, I've never seen that site before.

I just realized that sounds sarcastic, but I'm being serious.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Well I finally got my logon for eBenefits to check my appeal and it appears they have nothing on record, so it looks like the appeal the Vet Center helped me submit over a year ago isn't even in the system. Looks like it's back to the DAV, except I'm going to request a different representative.

Am I the only one who has had an advocate representative be a giant douche despite me being 100% polite? AKA, play armchair doctor instead of just helping me with my claim then comparing his experiences (AS A MARINE!!) to my lowly National Guard job.

[/rant]

FooGoo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 2, 2011

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

moker posted:

Seems to be hit or miss....the guy I dealt with was an army EOD guy in Vietnam (:stare:) and was all about people getting the most out of the VA that they could. If you can, shop around a bit because there are some truly great people who just want to help in any way they can.

That sounds like how most peoples' experiences with advocates have been and I'm glad, I must have been the unlucky one.

On a related note, does anyone have any experiences with advocates in Los Angeles and anyone/organization they can recommend?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
I'm really confused about what just happened.

After about a year of confusion and therapy, the American Legion helped me submit a claim for PTSD a few months ago. I got the decision letter today. Not only did it exclude any records from the Vet Center (where I received my treatment and included a release of information form), they rated me "Service connection for psychosis..."

What the gently caress is psychosis and why didn't they assign me a percentage? I've never seen or heard of this before. My buddies just got ratings for "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" and I thought they assign a percentage based on the diagnosis, implying service connection.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the responses.

When I was submitting my claim, both the Vet Center psychologist and psychiatrist said they will submit a letter supporting my claim, but the VA had to request it (via a consent to release my records, which I included). Although I looked again and my letter says "VA Healthcare System" and I'm wondering if the Vet Center is lumped into that...

I may have screwed myself on this one. I initially submitted a claim for PTSD based on the advice of the DAV three years ago. I had just returned and was stubborn and hardheaded (even moreso than I am now) so knowing that I was manly and superman, I basically told the QTC examiner "Nope, nothing wrong, I'm great" and received an expected 0% rating for PTSD.

Over the course of two years or so, I started settling in an recognising what PTSD symptoms were and how I wasn't quite right and that's when I began treatment.

When I explained all this to the American Legion advocate a few months ago, he had me submit the claim along with a descriptive letter in hopes of reopening the claim. I didn't get another QTC appointment, and now I have this service connection for psychosis.

Do I have any option now other than an appeal? I've also attempted to appeal a denied claim for my back, which I've heard absolutely nothing from the VA about.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just checked my eBenefits (which is a surprisingly good resource) and it appears that this letter was an "Administrative Review" and that my Claim for Compensation is still under review. However, it also shows that my original claim was to "Reopen PTSD, Reopen thoracolumber (back issue)" and I've gotten no notice or anything regarding my back pain claim. Sorry for this fragmented story of my life, having to deal with two VA entities and three advocates have gotten me really confused.

FooGoo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 29, 2012

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Wooty posted:

All I can tell you is my experiences.

Thanks for the input. I typically go to West LA, so I'll hit you up in the future (if you don't mind) for more info.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone had any experience with VA psychiatrists? If I need meds, can/will my VA doc prescribe them or will he first have to refer me to the psych (aka, make a second appointment 5 months out)?

My experience with the VA the last two years have been less than stellar. However, they have all my records and history, and with insurance uncertain since I'm changing jobs, I'm a bit wary of going to a civilian doc.

EDIT: While on the same topic, if I were to go with a civilian doc, should I go to a GP or a psychiatrist? I have no idea how any of this works. Did over a year of therapy with a Vet Center therapist and I think it honestly did nothing. I have no idea what my first step should be to get help that actually helps.

FooGoo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 8, 2012

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

Yes, you'll have to go through psych. However, if you have a previous prescription they can have someone order a refill while you wait for your referral.

I got pretty fed up with waiting and the quality of care was abysmal so I just suck up and pay a copay and use my tricare out in town. Right now I have my primary care doc do my med management and I see a therapist. May switch to a psychiatrist for med management, not sure yet.

Sounds about right for the VA, so the civilian General Practice doc can help me with meds and won't just refer me to a psych? Might sound odd, but I don't think I've ever gone to "the doctor" other than ER or for something very specific so I don't know how much of this works :shrug:. Might as well use my PPO while I still have it...

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

McNally posted:

A year and a half and counting. In the letter I received acknowledging receipt of my appeal, they talked about poo poo I never said in my letter such as appointing the American Legion to represent me.

Did you have the option for a DRO review before going to appeal? How long did that take?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
How long does it usually take for meds to be delivered? Should I be worried that I'm coming up on two weeks since the prescription was input and I've received nothing yet?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Spongebob Tampax posted:

So I'm going to be doing a re-evaluation instead of an appeal. Is the going length on that about the same as an appeal?

I am doing the same and would like to know as well. Are we talking months? Or years as with typical appeals?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Does the VA talk to the military? In other words, will having a disability rating affect my flight physical or commissioning in the Reserve/Guard?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Can the military (or any other agency) obtain my VA records without having me sign a release? In other words, is there any way the military can find out I have a VA rating or that I've received therapy for PTSD from the VA?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Golli posted:

If I recall correctly, you are asked to sign releases for this type of information when you apply for a clearance, and refusal to sign the release is probably not considered favorably in the adjutication.

However, according the the Privacy Act, the answer seems to be Yes whether you sign a release or not in certain cases.

Thanks for the info. I'm just really paranoid now that the Army seems to be chaptering anyone and everyone who mentions seeking mental health. I don't seem to recall anyone getting chaptered from the military due to services they sought through the VA (probably applies more to the Guard/Reserve). Can anyone confirm or deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
If I'm an active drilling reservist and receiving a disability payment, aren't they supposed to withhold my disability payment?

I've sent in the drill verification form every time they sent it to me, but never stopped receiving payment. Are they going to take it all back in one lump sum 5 years from now?

• Locked thread