Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009
I filed my claim within 30 days of getting out of the USAF, because of this it took them about a month to decide on my claim. If you have the ability to file your disability claim as soon as you can possibly get out, do it. According to the VA rep I was dealing with, when you file within 90 days of getting out you go to the top of the pile, behind only special cases.

On tinnitus; they checked my ears with one of those beeping machines and that was it.

Also, reading the decision sent back to me by the VA was really interesting. They had taken into accounts statements I had made to my various doctors from the very beginning of my career, things I didn't even remember saying. So if you're still in, mention every gripe ever.

One last thing, VA labeled me 60% disabled, which puts me at over 50%, so it gets me the free health care forever. I know at 100% you get base access for life and free dental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Step one is to go fill out your VONAPP.

Step two is to read this mess. Essentially, if you're approved and at 20%, you're in Priority Group 3, meaning you still get health care without copays for you and your dependents. It's only if you're 0% rated that you would have to suffer through paying $15 to see a doctor.

I really don't think that's right.

http://webgla.alsa.org/site/DocServer/2006VeteransBenefitsChecklist.pdf?docID=29061

Priority Group 1, or 50% and over, is when "VA fee basis outpatient medical card (all conditions requiring treatment, whether SC or not, except dental)" begins appearing. I have a friend who is 30%, and he only has no copay on SC issues.

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009

ReverendCode posted:

I Know there'd is a one year time limit on claiming injuries with the VA when you return from a deployment, but I seem to recall something about that not applying to PTSD stuff. I am curious because I got back from Iraq about 2 years ago now, and recently I have been having... Issues with both anger and that nervous hyper alert sensation that makes you just feel scared all the time. Anyone know if you. An still claim PTSD after the one year time limit? Even if it is just to get treatment?

You should have no trouble. Talk to a VA doctor and tell them whats going on.

They ask you a series of questions when you go, designed to probe for PTSD, substance abuse, and suicidal thoughts, among other things. One of those questions is literally "Do you feel safe inside your home?" If you really do feel scared all the time, you need to answer truthfully. It's important.

• Locked thread