Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010
Get in contact with your county's Department of Veteran Services. They'll advocate you and take care of practically everything. All you have to do is supply whatever they need, sit back, and wait for the wheels to roll.

Made my life a hell of a lot easier when I got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010

t_bright posted:

How the gently caress do you guys post all these awesome success stories? Every time I go to the VA I just get sent all over the place. Whenever I actually sit down and talk to someone, they recommend that I don't get a VSO to help me. Another month goes by, and I still get not a single letter or loving email from the VA about either my disability claim or healthcare or even a loving status update. The phone system literally hangs up on me. I filed 11 months ago. My unemployment was denied. I have no money left. My wife hasn't seen our bank account yet, thank god. Otherwise I'd be out of pussy too.

I just called the American Legion in my city and they said they'd help me if I called later tonight. I hope so.

I havent seen a doctor since I got out of the Marine Corps. The worst part is I ran out of anti-depressants and sleeping pills MONTHS ago.

gently caress. I know it sounds like a loving sob story (and I cant loving stand those) but PLEASE point me to a loving VA employee that knows their job in the great state of Florida.

They absolutely should not have recommended that you don't get a VSO. I'd contact your patient advocate there (every VAMC has one) and bitch about that. It's good that you called the American Legion. They should get you sorted. If not, which is unlikely, just get into contact with another VSO (DAV, VFW, etc.).

Pram posted:

I just wanted to thank whoever posted about the free healthcare for OIF vets, I just applied last week. I haven't dealt with the VA since I got out other than for the GI Bill. Is there a special process involved in proving you have service related issues (mostly respiratory from breathing in burning garbage every single day) or am I boned? Will that get covered when they enroll me for the healthcare or what?

Since you just applied, you should be scheduled shortly for an initial physical. Bring up all issues, no matter how trivial, at that time, so that they at least get documented. If the problem is already in your service medical file, even better, but still bring it up. After that, if you're not happy with the results, I recommend you to get into contact with the VSO of your choice. I cannot stress how much a VSO helps with these issues. They'll be able to help you file whatever you need to get a satisfactory result. It doesn't always work out, but the chances are greatly increased when you have someone in your corner that knows exactly what they're doing.

VSO's don't just help out with the VA, either. They can help with any of your benefits. I have mine working on my real property tax exemption right now and getting an updated copy of my DD-214. They really do make life a hell of a lot easier.

HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010
I've got a question that someone would maybe know off-hand. VGLI. Does anyone know the time frame for getting it reinstated if you let payments lapse? I know you have a year and a few months to have your SGLI switched over after getting out, but not sure if the same applies if you've let payments lapse for a few or more years. I think I'm screwed, but want to make sure before I give it up as a lost cause.

HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

I'm unclear about what kind of VA healthcare I'm entitled to when I separate. I don't have any kind of disabilities, but I am a veteran of OEF, meaning I get placed in priority category 6. What does this mean? What kind of services can I get from the VA, with what co-pays?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge if I need to start researching health insurance, or if this 'priority category 6' is going to provide me with decent care while I'm in school.

Roving Reporter had some spot on information for this on the previous page. As Cat 6, you get free health care for five years on anything service connected. So during your intake, make sure that you tell them about everything that could even remotely be service connected. Co-pays, from what I understand, are tricky. There's no one formula that says if you make x dollars a year that you pay y% of the co-pay.

This has some pretty good info in it, too.

Honestly, if you're someone who doesn't get sick a lot, I wouldn't bother with extra health insurance except for maybe something with decent dental after a year. Until five years are up or they bump you up a few category's, that is.

After five years, you can shift on over to cat 7 or 8, if eligible, but from what I've heard from other vets, it's really not worth your time and money at that point.

HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010

Speed Handle posted:

Well apparently they sent my claim in finally because I just got a call from the people physically handling my Quick-Start process and I'm basically getting treated like a king with them hand delivering it everywhere and getting a call every time it changes hands. Only downside is I have to drive 50 loving miles to tampa to get another medical examination. Again.

If you haven't called them do so. They actually cancelled my claim initially because where I turned my paperwork in they didn't bother to actually send it out. I called literally every 2 weeks for 6 months before I got this far. Hopefully my rating doesn't take too long.

Make sure you're getting travel reimbursement from the Veteran's Service Center.

• Locked thread