Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unimog
Oct 21, 2010
I have been in the National Guard for a little better than 10 years. I've served two combat tours in Iraq, March of 03' to July of 04' with the 101st in Mosul, and again from July 06' to Dec 07' with the 1st Cav/4th ID in Baghdad.
Anyways, I immediately sourced medical care through the VA after I returned in 07'. I was given medications that made my PTSD, depression, and suicidal tenancies worsen. This lead me to bail out on my future VA appointments and at the time I didn't even consider disability benefits. I have since then moved back home to Southern California, and as I was going through SRP for a third deployment, I was deemed medically non-deployable for more than one reason. They were excellent in putting me in touch with the VA, and I must say that my VA experience on the medical side has been easy going. They are very helpful and didn't question my resilience to psychological meds, and put me in therapy rather than drug me up.
I can no longer carry on with my national guard career with my medical flagging, so I am now seeking disability benefits. I have since been diagnosed with PTSD, a TBI, tinnitus, ulnar neuropathy in both arms, and respiratory problems. Yes, I was one of those guys stirring the burn out latrines, tending to the burn pits, and blast pits. A huge hurdle I have to overcome is the recent loss of my physical medical file.
So, my questions are:
1) How likely are the archives to have my medical files on digits? Has anyone had any experience with recovering medical files?
2) If I have to prove events through statements from other soldiers, what format do they need to be in? Is there a standard form?
3) After reading this thread, the DAV seems to be the go-to for a benefits aid. Does anyone have first hand experience with them? Is there anyone in Southern California who has a referral or suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimog
Oct 21, 2010
1)I have always retained my medical file between duty locations, the actual records jacket, from basic to AIT, then onto my unit. I'm sure it was a delegational transfer of responsibility when the AGR members of my unit made it each soldiers individual responsibility to retain the physical copy of both the medical and personnel records jackets. Since then, my father carelessly threw my folder out as he cleaned out my truck to borrow it. I've been told that there are copies, or digital records of treatment and/or diagnosis. Would the Records Management Center be the one place that would retain such copies?

2) I don't think I have any records saying I was at fob x or fob z. All I have are orders saying Iraq, the time period, and who I was serving under. Although I do have a combat action badge, and other awards for combat situations. It would be easy to get confirmation of where I was at, what we burnt, so on and so forth from fellow NCOs and Officers who I served with.

3) Thank you, I dropped an e-mail to the Los Angeles office. Will keep everyone posted with progress and feedback.

unimog
Oct 21, 2010
I will give the St. Louis archive a call tomorrow and see what I can get and what it takes to get it. Unfortunately the one major incident which caused the TBI among other lingering physical issues was treated in Mosul, Iraq (2003) in a tent, handwritten records with the only computer in the tent being a vitals machine, I doubt they were scanned and stored anywhere. Although there may be some record somewhere that I was seen there.

Thank you for the VA form #. I'm sure I will be needing a few of those to back my claims up.

The chemical exposure should be fairly simple. I do have paperwork from the military recognizing the fact that there was a dangerous level of asbestos in the dust in our immediate living area, which seemed to be a result of the demolished republican guard barracks. Hell, I even have a picture of scrawny little pfc me with the burn out shitters!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unimog
Oct 21, 2010
Touching a little more on the burn outs: Everyone in my unit was given doxycycline to prevent malaria, and the pamphlet that came with the medication noted that it was highly active in fecal matter and should be treated with caution. There I am, stirring it up and breathing it in.

• Locked thread