Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
As some background, I was medically discharged from the Army Reserve in 2009 after spending a little over a year on medical hold, specifically in the Community Based Healthcare Organization (CBHCO). I was paid, by the Army, a reasonable sum as a severence pay as a result of my Army determined disability rating.

I'm not sure how this applies to the other branches, so unless someone that knows can confirm, assume that the following information applies only to the Army.

Some things for soldiers looking at a medical discharge to be aware of:

The disability ratings determined by the branch itself and those determined by the VA are completely separate and unrelated. In my case, if I remember correctly I was rated as 30% disabled by the Army and I know for sure at 10% by the VA. Because I was given a disability rating by the Army I was eligible for the severence pay, and other than that I do not know what benefits or compensation are offered for higher service determined disabilities, if any.

The most important part of this is:

You cannot simultaneously receive disability compensation from the Army and the VA. As a result of my acceptance of the severence pay, I will not begin actually seeing my monthly VA disability compensation in my bank acount until my severence pay is essentially paid back. I am, however, on file with the VA and will receive disability compensation in the future.

As an example for clarity:
If the Army determines that you are disabled and you are offered a $10,000 severence package, keep in mind this is a one time only payment and it is *not* mandatory. The actual amount of the severence pay is determined, IIRC, by rank and time in service.
Now, let's assume that you have decided to accept the severence package from the Army and that the VA has determined that you are eligible for disability compensation. The amount received is determined by what percentage you are rated at, and for ease of explanation, let us assume that you are rated at 10% and will receive 100 dollars a month. You will technically be receiving $100 a month from the VA, *but* you will not actually see any of this money until the VA has paid out $10,000. Only after your severence pay is "paid back" will you actually begin to receive your $100 a month.

If you are as lucky as I was to be sent to personnel that were actually knowledgeable and gave a poo poo, all of this should be explained in detail well before you have to make a decision.

With the low disability rating I received from the VA it was more beneficial for me to accept the severence pay and wait to receive my VA compensation. I believe I will begin to actually be paid by the VA sometime in 2018.

And if this seems kind of... hosed up, that's because it pretty much is. As I was going through the process I was told that there are ongoing attempts to change how receiving the two separate disability compensations is handled, but, of course, to not hold my breath.

If any of this needs clarification or anyone has questions about my experience on medical hold and the CBHCO program, please ask. I will answer as best I can.

If anyone has more recent information or can elaborate on anything I've said, please do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

Signaleer posted:

Thank you for this thread. It's been an outstanding resource so far.

I apologize if this is a bit winded, but I'm having trouble gettig straight answers on some of this. My wife is going through the Army MEB/PEB process and recently got her results back from the Informal PEB. She's epileptic, found unfit, and after months of being told to expect a rating of ~60%, lo and behold, the PEB's rating comes back from DC recommending 20% and severance. She's now starting the appeal process and waiting for a formal board. Our PEB Liasion seems to be either overwhelmed with work or just not very effective.

I've been told it's common to get a lowball first recommendation from the PEB, but at this point I've been told a lot of things and seen very little. Should I just expect to be dicked around by DoD until she's out and can be rated by VA? And if she was rated over 30% by VA, will she receive the same retirement benefits as she would have if the Army rated her above 30% (the retired ID card/medical coverage/commissary and space-a privileges and whatnot)?

http://www.narmc.amedd.army.mil/acs/taskforcenarmc/Pages/cbhcowi.aspx

Contact these people. I went through them while I was on medhold, and they are absolutely loving fantastic. There should be someone there that will be willing and able to help out, if not personally, then at least guide you in the right direction.

• Locked thread