Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
So I have about three weeks left until I sign out on terminal leave. I submitted my VA claim and they scheduled me for my VA exams here in El Paso before I leave. I already had the mandatory hearing exam and the physical. Just have the psych eval left.

At the VSO, the guy who helped prepare my claim persuaded me to put depression in my claim. It's documented in my medical file. But I haven't received any treatment for it since 2010-2011 time frame. When I first came in the Army, I was very depressed and self-referred to Behavioral Health for counseling. I was on Zoloft for a couple months but it made me so sleepy I couldn't stay awake in class.

I had never been treated for depression prior to the military. They psychologist I saw said I have dysthymia which is a less severe form of depression that never really goes away. Just everything in life is less enjoyable.

I have my VA psych appt on Monday and don't really know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Just got my VA disability claim decision, fellas.

It only took about 5 months after my ETS date. I expect to receive about $4500 in backpay soon.

File a few months before ETS so you can complete all your exams before you leave active duty. That's important. I didn't even have a car and it was a hassle getting it all done. I bummed rides, took taxis, and rode buses to get to all my appointments. But now I'm seeing the payoff. My rating is much higher than I expected.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Also, let a VSO rep prepare your filing paperwork. The guy I saw went through my entire medical history page by page.

I was only going to claim two things but with his encouragement I ended up claiming five. One of the things I wasn't going to claim ended up being rated at 30%.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

So I have enough problems to warrant me getting disability, Would me filing bar me from re-enlisting at any point in time?

To my knowledge, filing a claim doesn't bar you from re-enlisting.

But let's say you file and receive a rating and are collecting disability money and then you decide you want to go back in. In that case, you would have to give notice to the VA that you intend to return to active duty.

Basically, you can't serve and collect VA disability at the same time.

• Locked thread