Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LauraCurtissPalmer
Mar 4, 2011
---

LauraCurtissPalmer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LauraCurtissPalmer
Mar 4, 2011

LauraCurtissPalmer posted:

Just came across this post and found it one of the best descriptions of the VA system. I worked for several years with a state level Veterans Affairs Office as the benefits admin and in charge of the state military records archives (VT's go back many eras). Our jobs with the state level VA is to assist veterans in gaining benefits with the help of nationally certified service officer reps. Due to being offered and taking a higher level position in the state I no longer work there but still do what I did on a volunteer basis and I push big time the importance of having an experienced veterans rep working with you or you will get lost in the system. It's the federal government and they are not going to give anything to anyone without going through the redtape and fighting for it. But I always encourage the vets too that once their foot is in the door life with the VA system, depending on the state is great (states shouldn't make a difference being fed but they are).

How you described the system is so accurate and if allowed I would very much appreciate if you allow me to copy and provide it to veterans here in VT. If you'd prefer to not have you attached no problem and of course I will not use it if you'd prefer I don't.

VT is proud to have our Green Mountain Boys who have been deployed over and over and fortunately we have one of the best VA systems in the US, and incredible state support. Of course we also have a large share of our regular full time military, including my son and my former husband who is an In Country Vietnam vet. Our son is a two tour Iraqi Freedom veteran (173rd Airborne Brigade during the 1st year of the war when they took over the airbase in N Iraq, and PsyOps/Airborne in Ramadi and Fallujah 2005-2006). Our son planned on making the Army a career since his freshman year in HS JROTC (4 years before the Army). After nine years he is now out on combat related disability, which has been painful for him due to this being his life but thank goodness for the support here and the VA. Thank you again for posting this. PS If it worked I attached photo of my son during his second tour with PsyOps in Ramadi Iraq. I know this is a tough site but hope you don't mind a little bit of military pride.

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive veterans of early wars were treated and appreciated by our nation." George Washington

LauraCurtissPalmer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 4, 2011

• Locked thread