Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
File your claim with DAV now. I filed with PVA. Claim everything. Claim depression or PTSD, if you have either. Learn how this process works online, what kind of criteria they use, how the disability formula works. Disability is a compensation for your body getting destroyed at an early age, so don't feel like any of this is a scam or try to "honorably" diminish your physical and mental ailments.

Filing within the first year greatly increases your chances of getting a higher rating. I filed a month after I got out, and got my rating in the mail four months later. After the first year, though, this process gets way harder.

You should also know about individual unemployability, which bumps your rating up to 100%.

Disability compensation can also be a small source of retirement funds in your old age, so don't discount it. Especially with individual unemployability, which can be received indefinitely, even after a normal retirement age.

Bellum fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Bogarts posted:

Does the VA actually look into disability rating appeals or should I not bother? After a year I got my decision letter back saying that my condition is service connected but doesn't warrant a rating(I've basically lost most of my central vision in one eye and have no depth perception/and a bunch of other crap with the eye) ? I filed through a county veteran office last time but literally never heard anything from them after they filed so I still have no idea how any of this crap works.

You need a proper VSO. You're going blind and this poo poo is service connected? You could and should be getting a whole lot more, if not 100% through individual unemployability. The DAV is as good as any.

• Locked thread