Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Be honest. Tell them exactly what's going on, gritty details and all. If you're ashamed to tell them something, it's a pretty good bet that it's something you need to tell them.

For my visit with the psych, I brought my wife, which makes things way easier if you have a mush brain like me. So if you live with someone else, or you've got someone like a family member that you hang out with a lot, bring them along. They'll give information that you probably wouldn't think of, and the psych will ask more pointed questions because of it. Or if your pride gets in the way of admitting something, there's nothing like a family member to narc you out.

If you don't have someone that can come along, or if you are still unsure of what is important and what's not, look up

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=3dddce84474966674a408fb61db5af5e&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&rgn=div5#se38.1.4_1129

I think PTSD is rated under neurological disorders. Yeah, it's the VA rating system, which will help you if you are looking for disability compensation (which you should), but if you've got some problems listed in that table it means that you should mention it to your psych so you can get treated properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you aren't treating your DD214 like the rainbow spewing piece of holy gold it is you don't deserve it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
On that note, if you are a broken as gently caress medboard like me, you'll be waiting for the finalized VA rating after you ETS. I was told to expect 90 days, and to plan accordingly. Then I was told that they are getting faster, and somewhere between 30 and 60 days, approaching the 30 day mark.

I got mine poo poo finalized in 7 days, so that's pretty cool. I don't think everyone's is getting punched out super fast like that, but the system is getting better. And if you haven't been told that the VA has to finalize your claim after your ETS date, then now you know.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

NonNCO posted:

Got out two months ago, feel terrible. I had all sorts of health poo poo that the army just kept delaying and delaying until suddenly it was my ETS date and I was out. Six years in, two deployments as 11B, feel terrible physically but I gotta get out and file that poo poo with the DAV or something. I dunno, good at least to be posting with other vets.

Another burn pit victim?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, if it gets even slightly worse, go see someone.

Same thing happened to me when I was in, and I was walking around for about 4 days before I just collapsed. Wife dragged me into the ER and I was bleeding internally. fairly serious poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just so you're aware with the caregiver program, the VA has all but stopped processing the applications right now. Apparently for the last 4 years odd they've approved pretty much anyone who applied regardless of whether they actually qualify or not, and Congress poo poo themselves with the budget overrun. What they're doing right now is going back over alllll the frigging claims to see who actually gets it and kicking the people out who dont.

Don't let that stop you from applying though as its supposed to be retroactively paid from the date of application. And like the wounded warrior rep who handles this poo poo told me, if you're a right fuckin' mess like me and the doc evaluates you at tier 3 then it can be around 2k a month, depending on locale. They put my application in in... February I think it was so that'll be a decent bonus whenever they get around to processing it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
DD2860 is what you're looking for. Fill that out, don't make a massive novel on the form, just send it along with your approved rating decision, and your PEB/MEB results summaries if you got med boarded. If your paperwork is a bit janky and unclear on the cause of your injury, then unit reports and purple heart awards can go in there as well.

You send it off to Knox, in case you've got another address there.

You also need to get paid by the VA for the first time before it can be processed so don't send it in early because they'll probably throw the bitch out.

edit: the form pretty much has all the information you need about it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, I'll try not to gently caress this up.

CRSC is when you are receiving disability money from the VA, and are waiving retirement money from the army or whatever to get it. Basically, up until 5 years ago or whatever, you had to give up x amount of retirement money, to get paid the same amount in disability. Basically, you couldn't double dip. It worked out that you either got the higher of a) VA money, b) retirement money.

If you are eligible for CRSC it gives you back your retirement money. Now, if you haven't done your 20 years, you aren't exactly eligible for a full retirement, so don't get too excited. It gets prorated. So humble old E4 with a few years in gets his legs blown off picks up an extra 150 bucks a month or something. It's super good if you were close to retirement.

Of course, if you've put in your 20 then the military machine will look after you and you then get CRDP I think it's called, and pick up your full retirement and your disability money.

And you aren't a money grubbing shithead, it's now your chance to gently caress uncle sam with his own rules in exchange for all those times he hosed you.

I think I got that right, it's fuckin' complicated to me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, I wish I could answer your question better, but my brains are mushed up pretty good.

But if I'm understanding you right, yes, 75% is the max that the army will ever give anyone. Yes, they will prorate your years of service.

There should be a worksheet in your med board packet that explains what the army was gonna give you, prorated, if army retirement was all you are gonna get. CRSC is supposed to restore that.

I hope that answers what you asked.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Speaking of quickly, I realized the other day that my Disney funbiucks were getting paid to me like I was single. Went onto ebenefits, updated spouse information, and bam, got paid all the arrears money the next day.

It's far from perfect, but whoever is in charge over there seems to be doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it. I got told to expect one at 5 years, but potentially some randoms along the way.

Apparently the main thing that they are looking for is a) you keep up with your meds, and b) you keep up with treatment and appointments. Unless the doc has stamped your files with "miraculous recovery", this shouldn't really do a drat thing, unless your condition is stable then they might put you on the permanent list early.

• Locked thread