Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Omega,

I just talked to my VA guy and my wounded warrior rep-- the current backlog for proposed ratings to final ratings for the RI office is something like 86 days.. You being army, I'm 99% sure your stuff is going to WA and not RI, but I could be wrong. He told me the backlog in WA is, significantly longer than RI (and the few that are left at Baltimore, but Baltimore won't be doing this anymore once they're done with their backlog).

The good news is that they literally said on the weekly conference call that barring an egregious case of fraud or severe error, they're not really reviewing the proposed ratings for anything more than possible upgrades and will not be downgrading ratings again, unless there is clear fraud / egregious error.

Apparently there are a not exactly small number of Vietnam era veterans that are trying to get Agent Orange based C&P, but were never actually in country.. so that's what they're referencing with fraud/error.

In short, your rating will almost 100% be unchanged or higher.. And you'll also get backpay, but unfortunately your severance money counts against that. So once you've passed enough time to have received C&P payments from the VA that equal your severence pay, your C&P payments will start to flow-- and as always these payments are tax free.

Was your disability / injury combat related? On your seperation orders / your PEB findings there is a section that bassically says "Combat Related Yes/No"

If it was combat related, it really behooves you to make a case with the Board of Corrections for Military Records (BCMR) to have your disability rating from the DoD upgraded to match your VA ratings-- at which point you'll be either placed on the TDRL or the PDRL, and you'll receive TRICARE and be eligibile for what is called CRSC- a special payment from the DoD that you're allowed to draw in addition to your VA C&P money.

Actually now that I think about it-- even if your rated disabilities aren't combat related, it's worth the effort to get your DoD rating upgraded one way or the other. There are lawyers that specialize in working with the BCMR, the guys at pebforum are good resources for instance. But whatever you do, make sure you appear before the board in person-- the stats don't lie, you have an incredibly better chance at getting your case ruled favorably by actually showing up. Having a lawyer appear on your behalf is also just as good. And if you can't make it out to D.C. for one of the boards they conduct traveling boards you can try and link up with.

You can and should look into VR&E or Post 9/11 right now however.. Those benefits are separate from C&P, and they're worth using. Guys like Vas can speak a little more intelligently on VR&E versus post 9/11.. but I want to say the general consensus is that if you qualify for VR&E, use that. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Happydayz posted:

This part of the drawdown? They are taking the meatcleaver to certain Army officer year groups.

For your benefits - see about going into the reserves. You might be able to volunteer for a Naval reserve deployment and maybe pick up some extra active duty time that way.

He won't be able to get a Naval reserve deployment or anything- he's an unrated officer unfortunately.

With regards to getting a disability claim in on your knee problems, you're going to have to file with the VA. It's going to take a long time. As you are separating ensure that you get copies of all of your medical records and your personnel files. Hard copies. Then take those to Kinko's and get them copied in triplicate and put the originals in a fireproof safe, two copies in your important files cabinet, and use the other copy for filing your claim. Just trust me on this, you'll thank me later.

If you would like counseling on how to file your VA claim for this, during TAPS I'm 99% sure a VA rep show's up, and they'll tell you all about it- and there will be people from the DAV and Legion and poo poo that show up most likely as well. The DoD won't be granting you any disability as you probably already know. And the VA might not grant you disability if their docs determine it was routine wear and tear on your joints that happened to surface in OCS or whatever-- there's a certain ammount of time they have to own you before they start presuming service connection for everything wrong with you, believe it or not. And it's a lot longer than most people realize. So that's gonna add a level of complexity to your claim- the way the VA is working right now will probably mean that your claim takes a while. And even with solid records and documentation and a legitimate claim, you may face a lot of resistance and be denied on it at least initially on service connection grounds. But that doesn't mean that it won't be overturned on appeal, and they're the people that give things legit close scrutiny and tend to lean more for the vet but still a lot of folks get hosed there too but it's not usually as bad as initial claims. If you're one of the unlucky's you'll get to sue for your disability in veterans court, and believe it or not this court is extremely favorable to veterans- and a lot of the gently caress gently caress by the VA get's slammed in it. It's a special court with federal judges strictly for veterans issues. So I mean, def try- just be prepared for maybe not getting a good bite at the apple the first two times. Like everything related to the military, there's some layers of bullshit to get through before it's all said and over.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I was in the Navy for 3 years then kicked out for being gay in 2008. I was harassed pretty bad there, though that was documented in the letter I wrote to my CO, and he then put in my discharge papers that he believed my account, and sent me on my way with an Honorable.

I've tried to tough it out for years now but I definitely have a depression I never had before, I function fine at work but I go home and can only lie in bed, I wade through hoarded clutter, and I sperg about money like I'm in some kind of survival mode even though I make plenty. My ADD is pretty aggravated, I'm either completely zoned out or hyperfocused, and I have nightmares where I'm somehow back in the Navy, they are way too frequent for my tastes and enough to mess with my sleep. My company took us on a boat cruise and I spent the whole thing crying to myself in a toilet stall.

Anyhoo, I started a disability application like 8 months ago, I know it'll only hold my place for a few more months. I think I deserve a little disability to counter the cost of meds/therapy and maybe hire a maid or something so I'm not woken up by mice/roaches scurrying across me.

Who or what VA person should I talk to so I can finish this application and not gently caress it up? I'm reluctant to go to the one in my city because it's just a really ignorant city and I'm afraid of getting someone hostile or incompetent helping me.

Lemme ask you this, are you fairly sure your mental health issues stem not just from military service but also your maltreatment/harrasment while in?

Secondly, are you fearful of using the American Legion or DAV to help you file your claim because you fear retribution stemming from your sexual orientation?

If the answer to both us yes, you probably are due some compensation and assistance, and your fear if DAV or the legion might be unwarranted. They just wanna maximize your benefits, sexual orientation aside. In fact, they'd have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands if they refused to help you die to your sexual orientation, I believe. But I am not a lawyer, (Normally I say IANAL but I don't wanna be a tease here).

Also, how bad is the depression? Do you have a doc for it? Do you have thoughts if hurting yourself? Others?

Don't suicide out if it's getting to be too much man. Buddy of mine just lost his wife, was gonna lose his house and was just loving miserable and the VA finally came through. There's light at the end if the tunnel man. Hang in there.

Best of luck man, use that stickied quarterly prophet thread if you need to talk to folks too. Lots 'o vets, and odds are we'll be able to point you in some sorta direction.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Sorry for the goddamn grammar and spelling there, phone posting.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Okay, thanks! I guess I'll try the DAV first, I'm reading that the American Legion is Christianity based and was officially against DADT repeal the entire time. I just really can't deal with someone hostile about it right now.

N4I is part of the American Legion I think. And that guy has had his dick in half of an entire MEU barely on the DL.

I wouldn't sweat it much, but if you're more comfortable with DAV than AL for now that's cool too since your results aren't going to really vary too much on who prepares it, it's all in the VA's hands.

By the way, there's a legal network out there for servicemembers who got hosed over by DADT, I don't know poo poo about it, but I know it exists. I'll try and find what I can and post it in here if I come across anything.

Good luck man, really sorry you had such a hosed up experience. I'd much rather have done a lot of things I'm sure you'd think are terrible than have to deal with that level of hosed up poo poo from my own fellow servicemembers.

Don't hesitate to throw it out there if you've got questions or concerns man.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Splatmaster posted:

I just wanted to share with everyone my quick story, and to let everyone who's been waiting, there is hope.

I served in the Air Force from '84 to '94. During that time I injured my back playing football on base, and was also the victim of a rather severe unprovoked physical assault from a fellow Airman in the dormitory, which later contributed to symptoms that were diagnosed as PTSD, with possible traumatic brain injury.

After getting out in '94, I applied for VA C&P and was declined, for chronic lower back pain. I was advised to see a civilian doctor, obtain an MRI to prove tissue damage (as opposed to the x-ray the VA took and used as evidence that I did not have a back injury) and the imaging, along with the civilian doctor's notes contradicted the VA's results, and I was awarded 10% service connection, which I appealed for and received an increase to 20%.

In 2002 I began having severe pain in my neck, which lead to nerve problems in my right arm and chronic migraines. An MRI to my neck revealed 2 severely ruptured discs. I had surgery to remove the discs and fuse the 3 vertebrae, and dealt with chronic pain for years, until in 2009 I remembered the assault and made the connection between it and a probable cause of my neck damage. So I submitted a claim, for an increase in my percentage for lower back pain which was getting worse, and to seek service connection for my neck. It wasn't until I spoke to a psychologist that PTSD was also revealed to be a result of that assault. My claim was of course denied, and 4 years later- after many therapy sessions, pharmaceutical trials with psyche meds and bad side effects, and appointments with doctors, I have had my paltry 20% increased to 80%, retroactive 4 years.

DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. DO NOT LET THE VA WIN BY GETTING FRUSTRATED. PERSIST UNTIL YOU GET WHAT IS YOURS.

Good luck, my brothers and sisters in arms- you will prevail.

:911:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Alas Boobylon posted:

oh sweet reduced property taxes my life is one long psychedelic gravy train punctuated by terrifying outbursts of violence :toot:

Is your username a Pat Frank reference, and are you trolling my life?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Your much more likely to qualify for 100% due to unemployability than not if your disabilities were noted to be permeant and not ever getting better. There are lots of people who are rated 100% but not 100% Permanent and Total because one of their laundry list items is PTSD. PTSD isn't considered to be permanent by the VA until it's been a problem for a long goddamn documentedly bad time.. So ironically getting PTSD recognized in dudes with serious physical or neurological disabilities also screwed because they gotta wait 3 to 20 years to be considered permanent and totally disabled, despite being rated 100% the whole time.

That's easy five figure tax losses in the wrong neighborhoods where I live.

Also tying up property tax code with veteran disability benefits and ratings then making a chesckers game out of the whole mess.

Oh well, 6FYGM9 always gets rockstar parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ReverendCode posted:

This can never be said enough.
CLAIM EVERYTHING. No matter how silly, or minor you think it is, or how much of a pussy you think it makes you look like for complaining. Claim it, this is your one, ONE chance to get you comeuppance, do not gently caress it up.

Uhhh.

I don't think your using this phrase the way you mean to.

• Locked thread