Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

kombatMedik posted:

drat, is this free? Because holy crap I'd be saving like 400 bucks a month doing this.

Despite what the other guy said, your dependents generally aren't eligible for VA health care benefits. So if that $400 includes health insurance for your wife, you'd still have to find something to cover her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Iron Squid posted:

How does the VA work for children/spouses of Vets? My dad did 20 years, including 2 tours in Vietnam. I'm guessing I can't just show up at the VA and be like, "Where's my free oxycontin?"
Your father would have needed to have 100% permanent service-connected disability or have died from a permanent service-connected condition in order for his spouse and children to be eligible for healthcare benefits through the VA. Eligibility for the children ends when they reach 23 years old, just like it does for CHAMPUS/TriCare.

If your father retired from the military and you are no longer eligible for TriCare, you wouldn't be eligible for CHAMPVA either.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
Two swabs are collected for Strep testing. One is used for Rapid Strep tests that are done in the office and take 5-10 minutes. If it's positive, nothing more needs to be done; you get some antibiotics and are sent on your merry way. If it is negative, the 2nd swab is sent for culture, which is somewhat more sensitive. If the culture doesn't come up positive in 48 hours, then it is called negative and that's it for testing. If there are suspicious bacterial colonies, they may have to be isolated, re-cultured, and identified with further testing. This could take an additional 1-2 days.

By the way, we don't give a poo poo how whatever microbe that is causing your sore throat makes you feel. Strep doesn't necessarily feel any worse than any of the other infectious bacteria and viruses that could cause a sore throat, and you aren't given antibiotics for it to make you feel better. The only reason we give a drat about Strep versus other organisms is because a Strep throat infection has the potential to cause heart or kidney problems down the line (Scarlet fever or post-Streptococcal glomerulonephritis).

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

moker posted:

Counterpoint: She said "Ill let you know tomorrow"

What yours said and what she would be able to deliver aren't necessarily the same thing. 95 times out of 100, culture results would be back the next day. The rest of the time, it takes longer. Now I'm sure yours just let your results fall by the wayside for some reason, who knows why. Maybe she went on vacation, maybe there was a lab error, or maybe she just sucks.

quote:

Who is we anyways?

We doctors. A lot of people are under the misconception that the symptoms of Strep throat are worse in some way than other causes of sore throat and that's why we treat it. That's not the case. A person could have a raging sore throat from Staph infection and, unless it's persistent or possibly life-threatening, we'd just let it run its course instead of treating it. Contagiousness isn't really even much of a concern. The only real concern is possible future complications from a Strep throat infection.

At best, we might prescribe ibuprofen, liquids, and rest for even a severe sore throat that isn't Strep. Nothing else would be prescribed.

• Locked thread