Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was in the Navy for 3 years then kicked out for being gay in 2008. I was harassed pretty bad there, though that was documented in the letter I wrote to my CO, and he then put in my discharge papers that he believed my account, and sent me on my way with an Honorable.

I've tried to tough it out for years now but I definitely have a depression I never had before, I function fine at work but I go home and can only lie in bed, I wade through hoarded clutter, and I sperg about money like I'm in some kind of survival mode even though I make plenty. My ADD is pretty aggravated, I'm either completely zoned out or hyperfocused, and I have nightmares where I'm somehow back in the Navy, they are way too frequent for my tastes and enough to mess with my sleep. My company took us on a boat cruise and I spent the whole thing crying to myself in a toilet stall.

Anyhoo, I started a disability application like 8 months ago, I know it'll only hold my place for a few more months. I think I deserve a little disability to counter the cost of meds/therapy and maybe hire a maid or something so I'm not woken up by mice/roaches scurrying across me.

Who or what VA person should I talk to so I can finish this application and not gently caress it up? I'm reluctant to go to the one in my city because it's just a really ignorant city and I'm afraid of getting someone hostile or incompetent helping me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I've got some real baggage from being essentially betrayed by my friends and bosses. Meanwhile I was trying to help my boyfriend back in the states pay his medical bills, which since no one could know about him, I wound up spending years staying inside the ship for liberty ports, never spent a dime to do anything because he'd wind up in the hospital randomly (dilated cardiomyopathy) and I felt like I had to always horde to prepare for the worst. I understand that some of that lack of support wasn't really the fault of the Navy as much of a fault of congress and policies. Still, even after I got out and we got married then divorced 6 months later, to this day I can never shake... I'd call it a feeling of impending doom, that kind of made me into a miser. In the interpersonal arena I'd still have things like naked guys climb into my rack to haze me, called a fag several dozen times every day (counted), department chief would always ask me why I cross my legs like a cocksucker, told by a chaplain to never tell or trust anyone there including chaplains, so on.

Now, I've never been suicidal ever. Really, I don't dare compare my plight with people who have seen combat. Part of the reason I'm procrastinating to apply is I'm afraid of interfering or taking a slot of someone who has it worse, of which I'm sure are thousands. My depression just manifests as, as my current boyfriend puts it, I take care of everyone except for myself. When I go home to my empty apartment I can post or play a videogame and that's it. When I take a step back I realize I used to be tidy and now I don't have the drive or organization and little by little my living conditions get out of hand until it's horrific. The boyfriend is a neat freak so I try to spend most nights at his place since I can get in a mindset to pick up after myself.

I see a psychiatrist who prescribes for my ADD and agrees my experience in the Navy was traumatic, I don't think she ever officially diagnosed me with PTSD, but then I never bought it up. Truthfully I haven't seen her in a while, I work at a psychiatric hospital and one of the managers tried to "hook me up" with a good therapist there, but after staff realized my name showed up in their medical records system they freaked out and put the kibosh on that. Oh yeah, that really sucks the worst out of anything, the patients there will occasionally go on homophobic rants, but I can't say anything to risk inciting them, it's like being back in the closet in the Navy and fucks me up for the rest of the day.

Edit: So it's the American Legion or the DAV that would help me file an application? I thought it was like a bar / function hall. I've only ever been there when my mom would bring me for cheap New England Boiled Dinners, before I enlisted.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, thanks! I guess I'll try the DAV first, I'm reading that the American Legion is Christianity based and was officially against DADT repeal the entire time. I just really can't deal with someone hostile about it right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Obama Africanus posted:

N4I is part of the American Legion I think. And that guy has had his dick in half of an entire MEU barely on the DL.

Who/what is N4I?

Obama Africanus posted:

By the way, there's a legal network out there for servicemembers who got hosed over by DADT, I don't know poo poo about it, but I know it exists. I'll try and find what I can and post it in here if I come across anything.

Oh yeah, the legal network is the SLDN, they helped me not get dicked over on my discharge, and were instrumental in lobbying to repeal DADT. These days they don't have as much to do and way less funding too. They're working on removing the block on transgender people, they certainly have their work cut out for them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is the certificate for https://www.pay.va.gov/ normally hosed up like that? I need to pay them back the money they overpaid me before they break my knees. I'm already on hold on their listed telephone number but it's going to be a while.

It looks fine to me, is the clock on your PC correct?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Alas Boobylon posted:

oh sweet reduced property taxes my life is one long psychedelic gravy train punctuated by terrifying outbursts of violence :toot:

In my city you can park wherever the gently caress you want and are immune to being towed for street sweeping/plowing if you're 100%. Honestly that'd reduce my violent outbursts by quite a bit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dennis4167 posted:

Can the VA lower or take away your disability rating if on your letter you recieved from VA says "incurred static" regarding your disability?

I googled that term and it just means you incurred a static injury, like an injury that is permanent.

You didn't think it meant "we caught attitude from the applicant" right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress gently caress gently caress. I'm a master procrastinator. I thought this was the last week to work on my disability app that you're allowed 365 days to work on, but apparently it expired 4 days ago and I lost my claim date. I suck at life.

In fairness, I had the website eat a 6 hour thing I wrote two weeks ago, and the site easily has more lag and outages than any website I've ever used (never used healthcare.gov though). Still, that's some unknown amount of money down the drain.

I could look on the bright side, I have a lot more time to develop a better claim. It's tough because the main witness to my experience in the Navy was my C.O. and I found out a week ago that he wound up going to the brig for taking bribes from other countries, that explains why he disappeared from Facebook. The VA I joined closed down recently due to lack of interest. I feel more than a bit stranded at this point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

You really want to use your VA loan on a condo? Not trying to be a dick, but unless that condo is Three Olives imaginary level of condo then I would hold off.

What the gently caress are you talking about. A condo isn't better or worse than any other type of house, as long as it is appropriate for your needs and the condo fees are reasonable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that too, the VA loan just lets you use a smaller down payment. For me it was a giant waste of time, they required me to go to weeks of personal finance classes 40 miles away, and ultimately the condo I bought had an affordable 20% down payment and using them gained me no favorable interest rates and would have added more bureaucracy so I just got an ordinary first-time homebuyer mortgage.

It can be great for some people but is not a charity like USAA auto insurance is or anything.

Edit: oh I remember the deal breaker now, they wouldn't mortgage the condo I picked because the owner occupancy was below 75%. Well whatever, it was a 68k condo and in five years I paid it off and paid off a second condo I rent now. A lot of red tape for what wasn't a big deal to just do through normal banks.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Mine might have been extra weird because it was during the peak of the mortgage crash. I did get the $8000 first time homebuyer Obama bucks at least. Wish they'd do that again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zeris posted:

Scan that poo poo. I haven't had to provide a paper DD214, like, ever

Scan it and email it to yourself so you don't have to worry about it. But I used to use it all the time for free veteran's day goodies. Since then our state started putting "Veteran" on our driver's license if we ask for free, so I use that now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you'd want to go out of your way to get your comeuppance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I had to stand in front of a burn pit all the time in the Navy, burning all our shred bags for hours on end, where's my registry lol

• Locked thread