Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it because you got a payment, or because you have too much money? I'm hosed because I actually put money into a Roth IRA and TSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Binge Drinking Jock posted:

If you served in a combat zone (ever received tax exempt pay) you can get 5 years of free healthcare from the VA. I haven't had to use it much but it's a pretty sweet deal. They make it sound like it's only for documented conditions related to your deployment, but I've never been charged or denied treatment for anything.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/returning_servicemembers.asp

It's NOT just for deployment related stuff, and the 5 years starts from your sep date, not from when you sign up. So go sign up for your free year and get a checkup or something. It also counts so you dont pay the Obamacare fine tax for not being insured.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Who/what is N4I?

Our token nutella-dicked gay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

He's a GiP dude who thinks Chris Pratt is hot and was talking about the new Brittney Spears album some time last year.

He also knows veteran poo poo. And is like BP to Marine buttholes.

Also, good taste in books.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got an unending stream of worthless bullshit both times I tried to get an ID card from the VA. Basically, gently caress them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't imagine that's correct. Even for the VA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's almost certainly a piece of poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A home inspection is always required by the bank. Everyone involved should know that it's a VA loan, so they'll check off the appropriate items as they go. If your realtor hasn't scheduled one (maybe working through the seller's) then she will. It's a standard part of the process...no bank is going to throw down many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on real estate that could be completely worthless, like a former meth lab or horrendously water damaged, or a ticking time bomb of Groverhaus work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Um. Yeah. The VA doesn't actually loan poo poo. You have to get a loan through a bank, just like normal. The difference is that instead of throwing down $10-30,000 on a down payment, the VA says "Yeah, we'll pick that up if he flakes." Basically it makes you less of a risk to the bank, saves you mad cash out of pocket, and their guarantee is probably worth more than you could possibly have saved up for a normal down payment.

You still need a normal bank, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Thought a VA loan was only once? Maybe it's that way for Guard/Reserve?

Ok, a VA loan isn't really that big a unicorn. All it means is that instead of a down payment, the VA will guarantee the bank a certain portion of the loan, up to a certain dollar amount (I don't know what it is). You still go through a normal bank (I don't know any bank that doesn't want to work with these, but YMMV. I got my loan through Wells Fargo because they had a better deal than USAA at the time). If you use up to the full amount (you generally will) then that's that. UNTIL you sell the home or refinance, freeing up your VA guarantee again.

So basically, you get to use it once at a time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I bought my house, there was no extra work. I had to print my certificate off their website. That's pretty much it. It didn't take any longer, we didn't have to push the closing date at all, none of that poo poo. That stuff depends on the realtor(s) more than anything. If they're blaming the VA, they're most likely lying (a friend's wife was a realtor, dealt with it all the time).

The only "hoop" is that it has to pass an inspection, which is actually not looking for anything crazy and isn't very different from what the bank will demand anyway. poo poo like cracks in the foundation, toxic mold, etc. The list is online. If a house won't pass the inspection YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE THERE ANYWAY.

You're probably right that it's tougher in some areas though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress? I did not have to take a class. :stare: I've never heard of that. I guess there really IS some variation. It's definitely worth looking into, at least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Housing prices were inflated long before that program. Ask my savings account.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did you never get the part 4?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does the county keep the original or what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Its for anything and I think is for 6 years from discharge. It generally is not great, but certainly is better than not having health insurance.

It was definitely 5 years as of 2013.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You'll have to fight it in court either way. The seller is being a dickhead and probably asking more than it's worth.

Maybe see if you can agree to pay the difference up to a certain amount? Otherwise I'd pass. They're setting you up to get hosed, probably because they bought before the crash.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I received multiple notices through the mail from the VA that the 5-year coverage meets ACA requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You guys are leaving the military. And relying upon an organization responsible for more veteran deaths than the military in recent years. Why the gently caress are you expecting everything to happen quickly and accurately?

• Locked thread