Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Free healthcare for 5 years for any bad rear end war hero like me (anyone that has ever received tax free for being in a country that hits you with the tax free flag, even if it was just a single hour).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359684

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am just trying to clarify something. I am a OEF vet, no disability or anything, and I am about to voluntarily leave my civilian job in a month or so. As far as I can tell I am priority group 6. I was told I have 5 years to enroll in the VA and I have done so at my local VA clinic. I am a little confused. Is that 5 years of VA healthcare (with or without copays) or is it a 5 year window to enroll to get VA healthcare forever? I am looking to use VA healthcare as a backup while I am unemployed. The VA suggested that if I have coverage through my employer I should keep using it, probably as they are already being worked pretty hard as it is.

In addition, does the VA only cover service related stuff or any health care related issues?

Can anyone make sense of this for me, I called the VA and got very vague answers.

It's 5 years from end of service. No co pay. Your employers insurance is better because you don't wait 2 weeks to see an eye doctor or whatever. And you don't get dental.

The VA covers all healthcare issues. They gave me every shot and physical exam I asked for, no questions asked.

I have a whole thread about it that I linked in this thread. Look higher.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moker posted:

I tried to get the 5 years and the VA rep looked at me like I was crazy because I hadn't been to Iraq or Afghanistan.....are you sure the tax free zone thing works? Only place I went that qualifies is Gulf of Oman for a few months

As long as you are flagged at some point for a combat zone tax exemption you qualify, yes. They can't see where you went, just tell them you were in Iraq.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am generally the only person in the whole room at the VA that is under like 60. I am also friendly. Because of that I usually get seen within 10-15 minutes of arriving even without an appointment. I love the VA.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You don't have to deploy to be eligible for that VA healthcare thing under the OEF/OIF program, you literally just have to have been flagged for tax-free in one of those zones, ever, even just on one day. I have it and all I ever did was fly in and out of country on jets, on the ground for less than 2 hours at a time.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To receive the 5 years of VA healthcare you must have been flagged with the tax free code at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the VA has once again randomly added a debt to my account. The last time they did this it took them almost 2 months to clear, during which time my GI Bill BAH was being stolen and I was told "Well, it's not the VA's problem if you need to pay rent, this money is a bonus, not an entitlement. No, you can not speak to my supervisor."

Between that and the poo poo terrible healthcare the VA healthcare system will give you, I have absolutely 0 faith in the governments ability to manage any program and am probably back to being against UHC.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 16, 2011

• Locked thread