Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Busket_in_Posket posted:

This is the part where you respond with your experience, questions, requests for a specific Part Two, condemnations, etc.

How do I file for disability benefits through the VA? I've got a piece of paper from the BN surgeon that says "Service Member was exposed to...a ton of poo poo...during this deployment."

I assume I just fill out a VONAPP application for disability and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Busket_in_Posket posted:

You can rock out with the VONAPP yourself, but if you are going for service-connected disability based on chemical/pollutant/burn pile/gross poo poo exposure, I would recommend using an advocate. Claims like yours generally require a lot more paperwork to backup the fact that you didn't have black lung/diabetes/oozing piles before you enlisted and there is reasonable cause to believe they were caused by the service environment. Having someone at your back to recommend which forms to attach to make your initial claim as complete as possible (versus submitting some stuff, adding more to appeal, adding even more you remember to appeal, etc.) will greatly speed up the process and increase your chances of getting a decent percentage.

Use the links in the OP to find your local vet center, veterans service office, or if you have a VFW/American Legion membership they have awesome resources as well. If you want to post or PM your locality I could probably find you a contact name and number as well.

Not going for anything related to burn pit exposure(although, I burned a lot of trash because it's loving awesome), just tinnitus and back/shoulder pain from body armor. From BSing with guys, and I don't attach much significance to the BSing, either should be a gimme for infantrymen.

vains
May 26, 2004

t_bright posted:

So...I guess OEF/OIF vets get healthcare....but what if you havent deployed?

If you're an OEF/OIF vet and haven't deployed you have to be still under contract and thus eligible for tricare.

vains
May 26, 2004

I've got a piece of paper from a doctor in my medical records indicating I was exposed to loud noises(and hazmat etc) but at my medical out processing(forgot the acronym) I didn't indicate that I had any problems. Am I hosed for getting any sort of VA disability rating?

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Active Duty for Training does not count.

edit: Generally speaking the only time that will count is either for-real AD time or deployments.

I'm pretty sure ADOS orders count towards CH33 benefits.

vains
May 26, 2004

https://www.vaforvets.va.gov

The website explains it better than me but apparently some federal jobs hit this website first. They comb through their resume database, pick some that fit the requirements and send them to the hiring manager.

They also offer resume coaching and other poo poo. It's worth a look if you're in the job hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

You can get a waiver for up to a 30% rating and still serve in the reserves/guard, or at least you could before the drawdown went into effect, but good luck trying to get that waiver now. Also, any disability you collect while in the reserves/guard, the equivalent is forfeited/deducted from your pay (according to an old salt AGR guy I talked to a few years back). You could also call up the VA and have your disability suspended while you're in reserves/guard, but you'll probably need a contract with waiver in hand to do that.

Over 30%, don't bother, it'd be pulling teeth right now. If another war starts, however...

I thought it was hella easy to get into the guard/reserves now.

• Locked thread