Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Busket_in_Posket posted:

As our bear-suited reported pointed out, tinnitus is generally pretty easy to get compensated for. Also hearing loss. I haven't heard from anyone who's had either of these claims denied or had to provide outrageous proof, but then again they may not have understood what I was asking them...

Hearing loss is NOT easy to actually get paid for unless I guess you cheat the system like a motherfucker on the speech recognition portion. The charts for hearing loss compensation % are online and well your hearing has to be pretty hosed up to actually be compensated. IIRC they do it by the average of total levels of hearing lost so if your hearing is terrible(like mine) in only 1-2 decibel ranges you won't get paid but it does help your case for tinnitus quit a bit which is pretty easy to get compensated for with documented hearing loss and working in loud environments.

edit: I've been tested like 3-4 times in a row before because they couldn't figure out why one ear and one range was so bad so its probably pretty difficult to cheat on the tone tests and be consistent

Found the link with guidelines for ratings: http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp might be good to throw in the OP

Hearing impairment section: http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_85.DOC

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

It's 5 years from end of service. No co pay. Your employers insurance is better because you don't wait 2 weeks to see an eye doctor or whatever. And you don't get dental.

The VA covers all healthcare issues. They gave me every shot and physical exam I asked for, no questions asked.

I have a whole thread about it that I linked in this thread. Look higher.

I tried to get the 5 years and the VA rep looked at me like I was crazy because I hadn't been to Iraq or Afghanistan.....are you sure the tax free zone thing works? Only place I went that qualifies is Gulf of Oman for a few months

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Lando posted:

What up guy! Yeah I avoid using the VA for anything that isnt service connected. Three weeks or more to see a DR for random poo poo like back pain or my knees killing me, I usually just suffer instead of going to the VA. Though, for my totally not cool skin rash I picked up on deployment gets VA love. 2 biopsies and they still cant classify what I now have. Remins me, I need to schedule another appointment cause I'm almost out of meds. UGH.

I was really really sick with a very high fever over a weekend last month, decided to walk in at the VA clinic instead of going to my school since the prescriptions are cheaper.
They saw me fast, doctor gave me a strep test and asked the usual questions(plus those stupid loving ARE YOU AN ALCOHOLIC questions they ask every single visit)....the lovely part was she gave me no medicine(I seriously felt like poo poo) and the 12-24 hour strep test took A loving WEEK. I figured they just never called me back because it was negative, but nope....I get a call a week later with the doctor sheepishly asking me how I was feeling. When I asked why she called she said the strep test was indeed positive, which is not very cool considering I went to school every day that week. :suicide:

That same week I had to go to my schools clinic because my salivary gland was so swollen I couldn't close my mouth any more, got actual medicine and felt fine within 2 days

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Counterpoint: She said "Ill let you know tomorrow"

Who is we anyways?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
So one of my buddies finally did his first appointment @ the VA clinic and he gets his blood test results in the main and it says hes positive for Hep C....no phone call from a doctor or a nurse, just the results in the mail. Takes him four days of freaking out to finally get in contact with someone at the clinic, first lady tells him its "probably from the tattoos." Hes pretty pissed at this point and finally gets someone that knows what they're talking about and they tell him something along the lines of "sorry about that, someone entered the wrong information you don't gave hep c." Jesus christ

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Dantu posted:

Here's my method for talking to a live person at the VA helpline.

1. Call the 800 number
2. As soon as their system answers hit 1 immediately. This skips the welcome message and tells them you have a touch-tone-phone.
3. The second you hear the computer again, hit 1 again. This selects "check on the status of my claim"
4. The second you hear the computer again, hit 0. I believe this selects "I don't know my VA file number", at any rate it places you in the queue to talk to a person.

Total time to get in the live operator queue, about 5 seconds from start to finish. You basically just hit 1,1,0 as soon it answers with about a second in between each number. :ssh: It's a secret to everyone.

Also, don't call on Mondays if you can avoid it. My theory is veterans spend the weekend at the Legion or VFW getting pissed off about the VA and leave with calling them Monday morning at #1 on their weekly to-do list.

This is an amazing tip thank you. From my limited experience working in a VA clinic never try to get anything done first thing in the morning. Old timers LOVE showing up to clinics as soon as it opens so every morning is a huge rush with long wait times. Not sure if its true for the phone lines or not but definitely the clinic I worked in

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Does anyone know if there is a way to electronically submit forms to help your disability claim if you accidentally submitted it prior to attaching the scans?

eBenefits loving sucks

This also means I haven't submitted the authorization and consent for release of information to the VA form for this clinic because the loving screen saying I needed to submit that came AFTER I SUBMITTED THE COMPENSATION FORM....gently caress

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Where does one go locally to find someone knowledgeable on submitting disability paperwork to the VA? I'm putting together another claim but this one is not as easy as my last and would really like an experienced opinion on it

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Thanks for the advice Headspace/Dantu, I'll go snoop around the VA clinic here first

RR I hope you get your poo poo worked out I thought they were way more lenient with PTSD type stuff especially with infantry combat veterans drat

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Roving Reporter posted:

No you'll be fine. They'll do a hearing test on you if you file for a C&P, and then go over your service record, including the doctor's note. The hearing test, along with the audiologist's recommendation will make or break you though.

Also you can claim tinnitus since you were exposed to loud poo poo or whatever without ever having mentioned it while in because it can start afterwards. I never mentioned it in my sep physical or otherwise but had enough "proof" with hearing loss + loud environments. But seriously I've said it before unless youre like going deaf they aren't going to pay you for hearing loss

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

FooGoo posted:

Well I finally got my logon for eBenefits to check my appeal and it appears they have nothing on record, so it looks like the appeal the Vet Center helped me submit over a year ago isn't even in the system. Looks like it's back to the DAV, except I'm going to request a different representative.

Am I the only one who has had an advocate representative be a giant douche despite me being 100% polite? AKA, play armchair doctor instead of just helping me with my claim then comparing his experiences (AS A MARINE!!) to my lowly National Guard job.

[/rant]

Seems to be hit or miss....the guy I dealt with was an army EOD guy in Vietnam (:stare:) and was all about people getting the most out of the VA that they could. If you can, shop around a bit because there are some truly great people who just want to help in any way they can.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

FooGoo posted:

How long does it usually take for meds to be delivered? Should I be worried that I'm coming up on two weeks since the prescription was input and I've received nothing yet?

Yeah that seems like a long time duder idk i'd ask

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Knoxx posted:

Got a few questions for you guys as I've been having a hard time finding the information on it.

I'm former USN Sub Force, Sonar Tech. Got out in 05 on a Honorable, no issues that I know of. When I got out, I didn't get any sort of percentage, had no idea what to report or even what to do. Getting out was just a quick as possible process for myself and those getting me out.

So I have some hearing issues, had an issue while underway doing sound checks where active got blast into my ears through some headphones, but never got officially treated for it. Doc on the boat... game me Motrin. Anyhow, I've been told by my girlfriend I should head to the VA Hospital to get my ears checked out. I have a hard time hearing people's voices when there is any sort of background noise or if they're not talking directly at me. Also I can tell one ear is worse than another. A former Marine friend has been going through a bunch of VA stuff and has been getting his percentage upped. I thought getting out and nothing reported, I am pretty much screwed and won't get any help. Am I wrong? Can I get help with the VA or get checked out even though I don't have a percentage?

I also have back and knee issues, typical of most submariners from what I've know, but never really got it checked out.

On another note, I am finishing up my AS degree here soon, but have like a year or less left on my GI Bill using the Post 9/11. Is there anything out there any of you can suggest if I wanted to finish up my Bachelors via the VA or military benefits? I was thinking of working towards some scholarships, but wasn't sure if there was anything I missed.

Lastly, any idea how I can use the Post 9/11 for getting technical certifications like the A+, Security+, Linux+, or CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)?

Thanks for the help.

I was a fast attack m-div person
Do you have a history of hearing loss documented in your medical record? I remember doing annual hearing tests that were mandatory, so maybe you still have those. The easiest way to get rated for hearing loss is to tell them your ears ring(tinnitus), because they can't really determine if it is true or not. However you will probably need to show that you had hearing loss while in(from your audiograms) or worked in a loud environment. Tinnitus is a flat 10%, no matter how severe it is or how many ears its in. You can definitely apply for disability at any time though, a lot of people do it well after they're out and people also recommend using reps to help you fill out the paperwork for your disability. I can't help you with this part because I didn't but some guys here did.

If you are rated for a disability you can apply for vocational rehab, which if accepted will extend your benefits to 48 months(its a separate program but I think of it this way) from the 36 you get from the GI Bill. It is similar to the post 9/11 if you want to continue school, just read about it with google or wait til vasudus writes you an essay about it ;D Also what state are you in/from? A few states will pay for veterans tuition when their federal benefits run out, so it is also worth looking in to.

I have no idea about the last one.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

cult_hero posted:

They shouldn't. But it may depend a lot on your local facility's capabilities. I'm 30% and no one's ever asked me for money.

prescriptions related to your disability will be free but I think at that % you'd pay 8 bucks for any other ones

i think

having health insurance owns i know that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

EconOutlines posted:

its better than having nothing.

people just say this too much without really thinking about the statement they're making imo

• Locked thread