Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Copying the following info from the gip hangouts thread, because pandasmores is a loving moron & go here first.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys get medboarded, and if you did, do you keep records of your visits with professionals outside of the military?
medical professionals I mean
Because, just an FYI, if you ever get med boarded or someone you know gets med boarded and you're put on the TDRL list and not the PDRL list, you need to check-in at the nearest Mlitary Treatment Facility for your branch of service every 18 months.
It helps that you have any medical records from your time receiving care on the outside, especially for med boarded conditions dealing in Mental health.

I thought you had to actually travel to the place you were first examined? I would know the answer to this if the guy at the medboard place answered his phone or ever called back, or if the rep didn't tell me to wait, leave for 20 minutes, and then tell me he's out of time. I'm about to do a re-evaluation and I'm wondering how it will go. The minor things (hosed up back and ears) were made worse when I was going to the VA, to the point where I needed urgent ear surgery to save my hearing. Thankfully I ditched the VA just in time, turns out that was blood! Having only one hard to get a hold of dude make appointments for the whole area made it tough too.

On top of that, besides the fact that I have an approved claim, the VA apparently seems to have no records of me before enrolling at my local VA hospital. And then my dumb rear end didn't keep a copy of my medical record, because I was in a hurry and it was explained to me that they were all just scanned and emailed anyways, so how could they lose them? :v: So all I have is the records from when my poo poo got worse at the VA and the university hospital I eventually went to for care.

Frankly I could give a poo poo less about staying on TDRL, but I'm going to be pissed if there's some way they get the last loving-over in and keep me from getting severance. In fact, the major part of my rating (sadbrains) got better because the doctor I saw refused to see me after I refused to take any more psychotropic fugue-inducing drugs. Turns out that the combo of that and of being in a familiar place doing good things works wonders for mood. Since I never really got treatment, I expect they'll strike me off of the TDRL real quick, which is fine, because I am well as far as that is concerned.

So I guess, without all the venting, my questions are: Do I need to travel back to do my evaluation? Can I just not do it and still get my severance so I can be done dealing with the VA and the travel? What do they expect to find, or for me to show? What is the likely outcome in my situation?

... I didn't see how old as gently caress that post was.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

cult_hero posted:

First off, yes, you do want to stay on TDRL and then get on PDRL as you'll be able to base privileges (whatever) and Tricare. Combined with private insurance through work, it means usually 100% of your healthcare is covered. Severance pay is only a one time thing, and VA will withhold compensation until that amount is recouped, so it's not a net benefit in the long run.

With TDRL it's a five year process with examinations at 18 month intervals. They will usually send you a letter telling you where and when to report. For whatever stupid reason they kept sending me to the Air Force Academy, which was 1000 miles away, rather than Hill AFB, which is about a 30 minute drive, but hopefully they'll send you somewhere nearer to your home. If you have to travel, you'll at least get mileage out of it.

Unlike the med board process, when you went through the Integrated Disability Evaluation System for both VA and DOD, these re-examinations are solely for DOD purposes to determine whether or not to keep you on TDRL, discharge you with severance pay, or move you to PDRL. Your compensation from VA won't be affected, but if stuff has gotten worse, you can always use those examinations to support an increase. DoD should be using the same criteria as VA in evaluating disabilities, so the same rules for VA exams applies. I'm not certain, but I think the cut off for PDRL is 30%.

Oh, and if your service treatment records are missing, you may be able to get a copy of them at your nearest MTF. Everything from about the last 7 years has been stored electronically in AHLTA, so they may be able to just print you out a copy.

Awesome, you told me everything I needed to know! Thanks.

• Locked thread