Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Alright, I got a question for you:

I'm switching jobs. I had benefits with my old one, but I'm moving to a contractor to possibly hire position, so I loose my benefits. I'm also a Veteran of OIF, served in the National Guard for 6 years, Honorable Discharge, 20% disability, whole nine yards.

I know nothing about VA health care stuff. I finished my IRR this past April, and wanted to look at if there's possibly a Tricare or other VA Health Insurance I could sign up for myself and my wife, for the interim. We were planning on going to COBRA, but everyone keeps telling me that it's expensive as gently caress.

Is there a way to check eligibility? Is there any plan I could pay for, or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Busket_in_Posket posted:

Step one is to go fill out your VONAPP.

Step two is to read this mess. Essentially, if you're approved and at 20%, you're in Priority Group 3, meaning you still get health care without copays for you and your dependents. It's only if you're 0% rated that you would have to suffer through paying $15 to see a doctor.

drat, is this free? Because holy crap I'd be saving like 400 bucks a month doing this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Axolotl posted:

Despite what the other guy said, your dependents generally aren't eligible for VA health care benefits. So if that $400 includes health insurance for your wife, you'd still have to find something to cover her.

Better than nothing, I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

So it's the American Legion or the DAV that would help me file an application? I thought it was like a bar / function hall. I've only ever been there when my mom would bring me for cheap New England Boiled Dinners, before I enlisted.

http://www.legion.org/veteransbenefits/departmentofficers

Yes. They work with you to get your claim ready.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Also if you tell your Realtor that you have a VA Home Loan and their eyes don't light up then you may want to find a new Realtor.

From what I've seen they loving love them, as they find the VA easier to work with than a bunch of banks (scary, I know)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

Um. Yeah. The VA doesn't actually loan poo poo. You have to get a loan through a bank, just like normal. The difference is that instead of throwing down $10-30,000 on a down payment, the VA says "Yeah, we'll pick that up if he flakes." Basically it makes you less of a risk to the bank, saves you mad cash out of pocket, and their guarantee is probably worth more than you could possibly have saved up for a normal down payment.

You still need a normal bank, though.

Obviously, it's just supposedly a lot easier for them to work with, and you're a lot more likely to buy a house with one than just farting around looking at houses.

My wife used to be a realtor and said that the VA answered inquiries and poo poo pretty quickly, and it wasn't often that they were left waiting on the VA- it was almost always the lawyers or the bank.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

Do we ask VA loan questions in here? If so, has anyone worked with a good lender that will do VA loans for condos?

You really want to use your VA loan on a condo? Not trying to be a dick, but unless that condo is Three Olives imaginary level of condo then I would hold off.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

You can use a VA loan more than once. A condo is basically my only option in the DC area unless I want to have a ridiculous commute or somehow become a millionaire and can afford a $900,000 dollar SFH.

Thought a VA loan was only once? Maybe it's that way for Guard/Reserve?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zeris posted:

Some regions speak VA more than others. Not that anyone would buy in NYC here (assuming) but good luck finding an agent or bank who will deal with the VA's hoops.

It's an extra hassle for banks that are often already hesitant to get their dicks smacked for predatory lending or anything which might be perceived as predatory lending.

Also secondhand experience in buying with a VA loan is that you'll spend twice as long jumping thru hoops (extra inspections etc) and routing paperwork thru another layer of bureaucracy.

I've heard the opposite where I'm at, but it's probably a regional thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

damastas posted:

I'm trying to file for unemployment and have service 2 copies of my DD214, but the case working is saying the "Member 4 copy" is what's required. From google researching service 2 and member 4 are identical, and member 4 is only mailed to you after you separate. There is no other way to obtain it, any future requested copies are service 2 copies.

Am I SOL? Is there another way to get a member 4 copy? Should service 2 copy be sufficient?

just send the service 2 copy. I've never seen anyone actually care about what copy they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

NonNCO posted:

Got out two months ago, feel terrible. I had all sorts of health poo poo that the army just kept delaying and delaying until suddenly it was my ETS date and I was out. Six years in, two deployments as 11B, feel terrible physically but I gotta get out and file that poo poo with the DAV or something. I dunno, good at least to be posting with other vets.

Congrats on getting the gently caress out. File that poo poo ASAP and get fixed/paid.

• Locked thread