Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Replaying this always makes me sad that we'll never get another modern WRPG as engrossing and fun. :(

Edit: Speaking of VTM, has anyone played Redemption? I hear really mixed things and was wondering if it's worth hunting a copy down. I've always been a fan of WoD.

VV Oh, neat, thanks. VV

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Edit: Speaking of VTM, has anyone played Redemption? I hear really mixed things and was wondering if it's worth hunting a copy down. I've always been a fan of WoD.

Eh... the gameplay is kinda like diablo, and if you don't mind literally slaughtering hundreds of vampires and thousands of ghouls in different dungeons, you are rewarded with an intersting storyline, that spans centuries, and some rather atmospheric locations. Running around on the rooftops of snowy, medieval Vienna is a fond memory of mine.

Here's a very good LP of the game.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Fuzz posted:

- Histories Mod -
add weird new rules ... originally meant to be in the game as Troika intended.

See this is what I'm having some trouble with here. Patch sounded cool in concept, but then I went to actually look at what it fucks about with. It changes every frenzy trigger, so they're a lot more common (except where they remove the special gangrel check for some reason), fucks with the base healing rate in addition to how it can be changed with histories, visual effects tied to active abilities, base jumping physics + gravity, all kinds of interaction code, boss mechanics, and that's just from a cursory glance at one file. If there was something that literally -just- added a mostly-working histories without changing poo poo that has no business being addressed by some fringe mod, I'd be keen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

harrygomm posted:

If there was something that literally -just- added a mostly-working histories without changing poo poo that has no business being addressed by some fringe mod, I'd be keen.

I'm not sure if you're referring just to the standalone histories mod or Wesp's Unofficial Patch... but the Wesp patches have been adding histories back in without modifying anything else related to them for some time now. I think even the vanilla, non-"plus" Wesp patch adds histories back in.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a way to have character histories without a bunch of other stuff added in... just look around, I guess.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

jiffyjaffy posted:

I promised myself that I'd actually play this game over spring break, However, I am unsure as to what should I build for Tremere. I've heard that Blood Salvo and Blood Boil really aren't that amazing, and I originally went for the perk that gave you the +1 in Thaumaturgy, however I'd bet there is a better choice for that.

Any help would be amazing, really.
Tremere are basically the sniper class. Blood magic, auspex, and guns are the way they roll. Blood boil and salvo are ok for crowd control but by the time you can afford them you have better options in the form of powerful automatic weapons. Throw on blood armor and auspex, get mad h434dsh0tz, while being very tough, blood purge anything that gets too close for comfort.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

harrygomm posted:

See this is what I'm having some trouble with here. Patch sounded cool in concept, but then I went to actually look at what it fucks about with. It changes every frenzy trigger, so they're a lot more common (except where they remove the special gangrel check for some reason), fucks with the base healing rate in addition to how it can be changed with histories, visual effects tied to active abilities, base jumping physics + gravity, all kinds of interaction code, boss mechanics, and that's just from a cursory glance at one file. If there was something that literally -just- added a mostly-working histories without changing poo poo that has no business being addressed by some fringe mod, I'd be keen.

I linked the wrong one, that's apparently some jank-o version. There used to be a plain Histories fix out there, but I have no idea where it is. The version that's in the CQM is the normal one without other additions.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Black Eagle posted:

That's really not how that went down. Valve actually did nothing wrong.

Valve didn't do anything wrong, but the source for the engine was kinda incomplete, as far as i remember. This is more Troika's inability to make anything without it being horribly buggy and working to deadlines which weren't entirely realistic given the complexity of the game.

Still absolutely love this game, bugs and all this is definitely one of my favourite games ever.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

This game is absolutely one of my all time favourites. If you haven't played it yet, you really, really should. The feeling and ambience is really what makes it. Simply perfect in that regard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Valve didn't do anything wrong, but the source for the engine was kinda incomplete, as far as i remember. This is more Troika's inability to make anything without it being horribly buggy and working to deadlines which weren't entirely realistic given the complexity of the game.

Still absolutely love this game, bugs and all this is definitely one of my favourite games ever.

As I recall, they had problems getting updates for Source to fix obvious holes. There was a goon that used to work at Troika that shed some light on the subject a couple years back. That was why I included it, but perhaps I'm remembering it wrong. Seems surprising because Valve is generally pretty cool about supporting third-parties... now, at least. Who knows back then before HL2 came out.

I'm going to update the second post with specific info on the quests, like where/when you get them, as well as a guide for how to play them all in one playthrough if you're a lazy rear end. Also a few example setups of the install, for people wanting different things. If I'm missing something or one of those is unnecessary, let me know. I'm not goint to post about other mods, because I haven't tried any and a lot of them look like poo poo from just the descriptions, but if someone finds another one that isn't poo poo, feel free to post and I will add it into that second post.

Otherwise, let me know if the OP needs any work or is missing something. It's still a WIP.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 5, 2011

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Fuzz posted:

So where can I get this game?
Well it's available on Steam for the low price $20 USD, though it often goes on sale.

Wait, was this a joke? Because I'm pretty sure the game has never gone on sale on Steam. Maybe once, years ago, but never recently.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

You missed Protean in the discipline rundown. For that matter, what are people's thoughts about Gangrel generally? Right now I'm going with Brujah, but I'm thinking about re-installing to add the arsenal mod and get rid of the music mod. I'm probably just going to go with Toreador both to try out the new guns and because I am literally unable to live without Celerity.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Well drat. Assuming I can find my cds from college, there goes my saturday.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Androc posted:

You missed Protean in the discipline rundown. For that matter, what are people's thoughts about Gangrel generally? Right now I'm going with Brujah, but I'm thinking about re-installing to add the arsenal mod and get rid of the music mod. I'm probably just going to go with Toreador both to try out the new guns and because I am literally unable to live without Celerity.

Gangrel tend to be more tankish than brujah. They wont hit as hard or as fast, but they can take a hell of a lot more abuse. You also don't need to worry about finding or buying a good weapon because your mitts are lethal weapons all on their own.

Goddamnit, now I'm wanting to play again. Want to try a malkavian with the ninja background.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Androc posted:

I rushed to the top protean form then the game would refuse to let me change out of it. Ever. So i went back to playing Tremere or Malkavian and never looked back. gently caress Gangrel!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I bought this game on sale from D2D for like 7 bucks a few weeks ago.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fuzz posted:

As I recall, they had problems getting updates for Source to fix obvious holes. There was a goon that used to work at Troika that shed some light on the subject a couple years back. That was why I included it, but perhaps I'm remembering it wrong. Seems surprising because Valve is generally pretty cool about supporting third-parties... now, at least. Who knows back then before HL2 came out.
I spoke with Tim Cain, cofounder of Troika, for my book. I don't want to give too much away, but basically, one of the many problems was that Activision froze Vampire after three years of development, months before release. During that time, Valve made improvements to the Source engine, but Activision disallowed Troika from submitting any new builds of the game (i.e., they weren't allowed to continue working on Vampire.) Also, in an alternate reality, Troika would have been responsible for Fallout 3, but they were outbid by Bethesda. And The Temple of Elemental Evil was modified to be "a training ground for military AI" as part of a Department of Defense contract, which Troika secured as they circled the drain.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 5, 2011

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I finished my CQ mod game the other day as a Toreador. While the gameplay changes were great, the reward for my super special clan quest (which itself was kind of lame) was pretty crap. Really underwhelming considering the rewards I've found out some of the other clans get :I

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Black Eagle posted:

:words:

Yeah, just knowing that the game was published by Activision tells you all you need to know. Bobby Kotick is a greedy rear end in a top hat, and VtM: Bloodlines was a game that wouldn't have made Activision a poo poo-ton of money in the long run. It was a niche game for a niche audience, and there wasn't a lot there to exploit for profits. It was a really good game, it just wasn't a big money-making property that the dev team could just poo poo out carbon-copy sequels for like Call of Duty or Tony Hawk.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Androc posted:

Ha, good call! Thanks. I had it originally described int he Clans, because I was going to describe special Disciplines there, but then I figured it made more sense to just explain all of them since there's only 3 special Disciplines. Edited.

Black Eagle posted:

I spoke with Tim Cain, cofounder of Troika, for my book. I don't want to give too much away, but basically, one of the many problems was that Activision froze Vampire after three years of development, months before release. During that time, Valve made improvements to the Source engine, but Activision disallowed Troika from submitting any new builds of the game (i.e., they weren't allowed to continue working on Vampire.) Also, in an alternate reality, Troika would have been responsible for Fallout 3, but they were outbid by Bethesda. And The Temple of Elemental Evil was modified to be "a training ground for military AI" as part of a Department of Defense contract, which Troika secured as they circled the drain.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Also not very surprising at all. I'll tweak the OP a little later when I finish the second post.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 5, 2011

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Schiavona posted:

Wait, was this a joke? Because I'm pretty sure the game has never gone on sale on Steam. Maybe once, years ago, but never recently.

I know that I got it on sale on Steam, but yes this was a few years ago. That doesn't discount the possibility that it may again go on sale, because seriously, what on steam doesn't at some point?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

jaffyjaffy posted:

I promised myself that I'd actually play this game over spring break, However, I am unsure as to what should I build for Tremere. I've heard that Blood Salvo and Blood Boil really aren't that amazing, and I originally went for the perk that gave you the +1 in Thaumaturgy, however I'd bet there is a better choice for that.

Any help would be amazing, really.

Blood Boil isn't bad at all. My first playthrough of V:tM I used the "stealth-Boil" build. It's pretty self-explanatory, you get good at stealth and just peer around corners bloodboil-AoE'ing entire rooms to pieces.

Bossfights could get a little intense, but overall it was very fun -- mostly because it was hilarious. I never get tired of popping people with Blood Boil. Also, I'm not sure if they fixed this, but Blood Boil had (has?) a messed up range-checking system for the vertical axis. So, you can boil people really far below you. That was really only applicable when I was playing through the Society of Leopold.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2011

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Athenry posted:

I know that I got it on sale on Steam, but yes this was a few years ago. That doesn't discount the possibility that it may again go on sale, because seriously, what on steam doesn't at some point?

Any Activision game. Like this one. The game has been on sale on Steam once ever for like $10, and if it goes on sale again the savings probably won't be worth the wait. When Activision games go on sale they tend to be 10-20% off anyway. If anything the statement should be more like "This game is only $20. What are you waiting for?"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tiramisu posted:

Any Activision game. Like this one. The game has been on sale on Steam once ever for like $10, and if it goes on sale again the savings probably won't be worth the wait. When Activision games go on sale they tend to be 10-20% off anyway. If anything the statement should be more like "This game is only $20. What are you waiting for?"

I would still pay $50 for this game in a heartbeat. If I didn't already own it in its original CD release. :c00lbert:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Awesome. Found my cds, and installed the clan quests, arsenal and (warily) Camarilla mods, none of which I ever played with. Only problem now is that it's been like five years since I played, and I want to play Malkavian/Tremere/Ventrue again, even though I've never done any of the other four.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Toreador was some of the most fun I've had playing this game. Malkavian playthroughs never seem to last very long for me. Though Torrie with a knife and maxed out Celerity was an engine of death.

I have to admit every time I play, Smiling Jack makes me want to make a Brujah.

Now I just need to decide what clan to play through as this time. Perhaps Malkavian, Ventrue, or maybe even a Nosferatu.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I opted for Ventrue. I figure I'll play something normal-ish that lets me talk through most situations while I re-learn the game. I might stop part way and start over with something I've never tried, liked Brujah or Nosferatu.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

SourceElement posted:

Malkavian playthroughs never seem to last very long for me.

Is that because of gameplay reasons or something else? Because to me it seemed like it's the most fun clan to play, both in terms of gameplay and story. Although I never got myself to try Nosferatu. All the sneaking around seems like a chore.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I really didn't find the Ventrue, Toreador or Gangrel playthroughs very interesting compared to the rest of the clans, though the Gangrel make for a fun brawling class.

Malks are naturally the best. The only reason I could see a round with a Malk not lasting long is due to them being so much fun and relatively overpowered (Obfuscate or Dementation can make most obstacles a trivial matter.)

Brujah were fun because Lacroix is naturally inclined to hate you and his dialogue reflects that.

Tremere were fun for the awesome haven, Strauss and Thaumaturgy.

I originally had trouble getting behind Nosferatu. It's like playing an entirely different game from the other clans, as you have to constantly avoid public areas and make full use of the sewers in each grid OR spend ridiculous amounts of blood to keep hidden while on the surface. It still ended up being a lot of fun once I got into the swing of things.

Xeromatter
Dec 2, 2008

Cogito, ergo doleo
I was going to post in the old thread, but it was already too long by the time I thought about it. I used to play the old pen and paper games, and this is about as faithful a re-creation as I have seen.
Jumping on the bandwagon to say if you haven't played this game, you definitely should. There are an awful lot of twists and turns in the story, and nothing beats playing the Seaside Hotel at 2am with all the lights off and the speakers turned up.
Myself, I prefer Tremere/Nosferatu. Tremere Blood Boil is ridiculously awesome, and Nos with full Obfuscate/Potence is a whirling dervish of death. Nothing will stand in your way.
NOTHING.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Clan Quest mod pack. When it says that it includes the unofficial patches, that means just the basic patch or does it include all the weird little changes that the creator has made over the years. If it does have the changes is there a way to install just the basic patch?
Edit: Nevermind, should have read the OP more :downs:

I wish there were mods that added new clans. I want to play a stealth based character using Obfuscate. But I don’t want to play Nosfuratu and if you’re playing a stealth based Malik than you’re not doing it right.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 5, 2011

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I'm trying to play this game using the Steam release, but it seems like it doesn't like my computer. Running Vista 64-bit, and whenever I launch the game it immediately CTDs with the error "Available memory less than 15MB!!! -1". I tried installing the official patch, which doesn't want to work, since it can't find my install folder. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, I guess the steam version IS the updated version, so no reason to patch it.

EDIT 2: Looked up the issue on Google, found a patcher for engine.dll, which fixed the available memory issue. My new issue is "Unable to allocate 200.00 MB", which is annoying because I have 8GB of memory.

EDIT 3: Ok fixed all my problems. For anyone else follow these steps:

Download THIS patcher, patch your engine.dll file which is in your V:tM folder in BIN. (steamapps\common\vtmb\bin for steam)
Download THIS executable, patch your vampire.exe file which is in your V:tM folder in VAMPIRE.

The patcher removes the issue where systems with more than 2GB of RAM will cause the 15MB issue, and the executable removes the issue where systems with more than 3GB of RAM will cause the 200.00MB issue.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 5, 2011

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I think I did something wrong. This "Camarilla patch" thing introduces a email college system to your haven computers. However, all it seems to do is take my money, hurt me for half my health, and drain all my blood. :(

Also, they took away "The Deb of Night" and replaced it with some Rastafarian music, which is kinda sad.

-Edit-
Oh wait, I got it now. Apparently my character was a big dumb stupid vampire that needed more points in Research. :downs:

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 5, 2011

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If I loved Alpha Protocol, will I like this game? How do they compare?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, weird issue. The lip syncing is going a lot faster than the actual voice acting, and it's cutting off the voice acting if it gets to the next line of a dialog sequence. Anyone have any idea what's up? Steam version with the widescreen patcher and the Clan Quest Mod w/ Camarilla and Basic Unofficial Patch.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Black Eagle posted:

Also, in an alternate reality, Troika would have been responsible for Fallout 3, but they were outbid by Bethesda

Wow it's like I didn't have enough reasons to wish Bethesda's office gets hit by a meteorite while everyone is in it

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Syndlig posted:

I'm trying to play this game using the Steam release, but it seems like it doesn't like my computer. Running Vista 64-bit, and whenever I launch the game it immediately CTDs with the error "Available memory less than 15MB!!! -1". I tried installing the official patch, which doesn't want to work, since it can't find my install folder. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, I guess the steam version IS the updated version, so no reason to patch it.

EDIT 2: Looked up the issue on Google, found a patcher for engine.dll, which fixed the available memory issue. My new issue is "Unable to allocate 200.00 MB", which is annoying because I have 8GB of memory.

EDIT 3: Ok fixed all my problems. For anyone else follow these steps:

Download THIS patcher, patch your engine.dll file which is in your V:tM folder in BIN. (steamapps\common\vtmb\bin for steam)
Download THIS executable, patch your vampire.exe file which is in your V:tM folder in VAMPIRE.

The patcher removes the issue where systems with more than 2GB of RAM will cause the 15MB issue, and the executable removes the issue where systems with more than 3GB of RAM will cause the 200.00MB issue.

Just get wesps basic patch one of the better fixes is the increase in performance on newer systems.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

lil sartre posted:

If I loved Alpha Protocol, will I like this game? How do they compare?

If you are a fan of well written stories and atmosphere, with a substantial number of options to resolve any situation- then yes, you will enjoy this game. I'd rank it next to DX and AP as one of the best games ever.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
I hope I've not completely glazed over this in one of the descriptions... But do any of the recommended mods contain anything along the lines of the Companion mod (or are possibly compatible with it)? I've had *far* too much fun throwing together a random NPC team to run around with, and would hate to give that up. :(

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
The Cammarilla mod seems rather buggy to me. The third person camera gets messy every now and then and the new discipline powers don't show up if you buy them.

Also,is there any ways to change the controls for the powers selection? The mousewheel is far too sensitive,pretty much forces me to hide somewhere to pick a power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Capilarean posted:

The Cammarilla mod seems rather buggy to me. The third person camera gets messy every now and then and the new discipline powers don't show up if you buy them.

Also,is there any ways to change the controls for the powers selection? The mousewheel is far too sensitive,pretty much forces me to hide somewhere to pick a power.
The power bug has been around basically forever. Hit 'K' and it'll bring up a hotkey binding menu that'll have all your powers in it (missing ones included). You can bind to number keys from there. (PS Fuzz put this in the OP if it's not already there)

Edit: You're right though, the Cam edition mod does bring back some bugs that the fanpatches fixed. The power bug is one, I also noticed running Cam mod that the chicken-neck model bug shows back up in the intro and when you rescue Lily from the blood bank.

Verloc fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 6, 2011

• Locked thread