Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Coolio posted:

Wow it's like I didn't have enough reasons to wish Bethesda's office gets hit by a meteorite while everyone is in it

You people never stop, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Has Bethesda's office been hit by a meteorite while everyone is in it yet? No? Then what reason do we have to stop. Please work on your logical deduction skills + also your poor manners in addressing anybody as "you people" as doing so is quite uncouth.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Coolio posted:

Has Bethesda's office been hit by a meteorite while everyone is in it yet? No? Then what reason do we have to stop. Please work on your logical deduction skills + also your poor manners in addressing anybody as "you people" as doing so is quite uncouth.

And wishing death upon people because of a video game isn't poor manners? Is that what you're saying?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
You know if it's still in the act of hitting Bethesda's office while everyone is in it killing everyone inside in a flesh melting bone obliterating localized apocalypse, is it a meteorite yet or still a meteor? I've never been able to work that out. Be quite embarrassing if I was getting that wrong.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Serious George posted:

Is that because of gameplay reasons or something else? Because to me it seemed like it's the most fun clan to play, both in terms of gameplay and story. Although I never got myself to try Nosferatu. All the sneaking around seems like a chore.

Its because I always try a Malk run after finishing a previous one up, so nothing is really as fun because I just finished doing it. My own fault, really.

This time around, I'm gonna amend that. The "first" play through will be Malkavian. Does the Camarilla mod give any new endings? If not, I sense I'm gonna go anarch or "gently caress 'em all".

Spoilered because of endgame stuff.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Coolio posted:

You know if it's still in the act of hitting Bethesda's office while everyone is in it killing everyone inside in a flesh melting bone obliterating localized apocalypse, is it a meteorite yet or still a meteor? I've never been able to work that out. Be quite embarrassing if I was getting that wrong.

It's a meteor which hit the office building, and a meteorite which smolders in the crater left behind.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shadowborn posted:

And wishing death upon people because of a video game isn't poor manners? Is that what you're saying?

Is it still okay to wish for the death of Robert Kotick? Because I think I speak for everyone when I say that he's a blight on humanity, and his swift death would bring light and joy to all the children of the world. Come on, man, think of the children!

On a semi-related note, I think it's pretty loving insulting that Activision's Little Cash Cow, "Call of Duty", has its own arcade machine just hanging around in VtM: Bloodlines. Oh, and Pitfall. Pitfall always sucked.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Chainsawdomy posted:

I opted for Ventrue. I figure I'll play something normal-ish that lets me talk through most situations while I re-learn the game. I might stop part way and start over with something I've never tried, liked Brujah or Nosferatu.

Ventrue starts rough as hell with a steep learning curve with those mods installed, but once you get the hang of how to play, (whoring dominate) it becomes hilariously easy by the end of Downtown.

You're also in for an awesome surprise with that Clan Quest. It's the only one I've gotten through so far, and it was a doozy. Overall the most boring clan in my experience is probably Gangrel, but that's because I went all Fortitude and Protean, so every situation basically turned into "pop protean, wolf out and rip them in half while bullets bounce off of you." I think when I do Gangrel to try the Clan Quest, I will probably go heavy on the Animalism, particularly since the Camarilla mod makes Animalism less powerful, sure, but way more interesting and fun to gently caress around with.

But seriously, the highest level Animalism power with the locusts that the Sheriff uses at the start of the game? Single most powerful Discipline attack in the basic game. Test it on bosses vs other powers like it, it does way more damage and uses less blood than most of them.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 6, 2011

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I wish there were mods that added new clans. I want to play a stealth based character using Obfuscate. But I don’t want to play Nosfuratu and if you’re playing a stealth based Malik than you’re not doing it right.

You are wrong sir, I just finished the game again with a max dementation max obfuscate Malkavian and it was awesome.

Impaling people with a katana dressed in a white fluffy pimp coat and a giant bouncy top-hat, and when the poo poo did hit the fan my fluffy sleeves were full to the brim with nasty tricks to play. Lingering Malaise, the level 5 Dementation ability is pretty excellent, it ruins everyone's poo poo, even bosses. Shattered minds is good crowd control, it fires in a cone, and and leaves them vulnerable so you do insane damage.

I'm going to start another play through later tonight using the Arsenal mod as well, I'm not sure what clan yet, I'm loving it though, I also enjoy how guns feel genuinely useful this time round too. The Malkavian's Clan Quest was alright, nothing special, though I did enjoy Tearing up some Nosferatu right in their own lair and I was impressed at how well they did Jeanette's voice, it's a bit spotty in some places but it sounds decent enough, unfortunately Mitnick delivers his dialogue without any voice acting, ala telepathy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ending my Malkavian got, Leaving the prince to blow himself up, then walking away from Nines and the anarchs flipping the bird wearing my pimp outfit was incredible

It kinda sucks that we might never see another good RPG set in the WoD, can't we get some talented people to goonrush the mod scene and churn out some more fantastic poo poo?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Are there any mods that create more playable clans? And by playable clans I mean Tzimisce

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

homerlaw posted:

Are there any mods that create more playable clans? And by playable clans I mean Tzimisce

With horrid form, you might actually be able to take on that loving werewolf at the observatory.

My roommate said there was at least a mod to play as Lasombra, complete with working Obtenebration, but I have no idea where she found it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Say, how do you get the Deb of Night back?

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

TehGherkin posted:

You are wrong sir, I just finished the game again with a max dementation max obfuscate Malkavian and it was awesome.

Impaling people with a katana dressed in a white fluffy pimp coat and a giant bouncy top-hat, and when the poo poo did hit the fan my fluffy sleeves were full to the brim with nasty tricks to play. Lingering Malaise, the level 5 Dementation ability is pretty excellent, it ruins everyone's poo poo, even bosses. Shattered minds is good crowd control, it fires in a cone, and and leaves them vulnerable so you do insane damage.

I'm going to start another play through later tonight using the Arsenal mod as well, I'm not sure what clan yet, I'm loving it though, I also enjoy how guns feel genuinely useful this time round too. The Malkavian's Clan Quest was alright, nothing special, though I did enjoy Tearing up some Nosferatu right in their own lair and I was impressed at how well they did Jeanette's voice, it's a bit spotty in some places but it sounds decent enough, unfortunately Mitnick delivers his dialogue without any voice acting, ala telepathy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ending my Malkavian got, Leaving the prince to blow himself up, then walking away from Nines and the anarchs flipping the bird wearing my pimp outfit was incredible

It kinda sucks that we might never see another good RPG set in the WoD, can't we get some talented people to goonrush the mod scene and churn out some more fantastic poo poo?

Second all that. To me, that was the most interesting build, hands down. And at higher levels, you get a lot of interesting uses out of Dementation during dialogue.
More mods with added content would be alright, though I can never get used to the idea of having amateur voice actors in there. Especially for already established characters.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Serious George posted:

Second all that. To me, that was the most interesting build, hands down. And at higher levels, you get a lot of interesting uses out of Dementation during dialogue.
More mods with added content would be alright, though I can never get used to the idea of having amateur voice actors in there. Especially for already established characters.

I tend to run with a max obfuscate Malk (usually max obf by the elizabeth dane mission) and then focus on dementation and melee. My main problem is about half way through you start getting your poo poo wrecked, obfuscate becomes useless and bosses start to just kick your rear end before you can do much, dialogue options obviously fairly useless by this point.

Any tips for the late-game stealth Malk?

cholerae
Jun 26, 2005
keep away from children and the elderly
Goddamn you people, now you made me install it again.

Happy now?

But seriously, if it's your first run-through, tempting as it may be I would advise you not to pick a Malkavian, as his dementia gives you ominously prescient conversation options which would make little or no sense if you don't already know what's going to happen (i.e, if you haven't played through the game normally yet).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Say, how do you get the Deb of Night back?

I think all you need to do is delete the files that replace it. I assume it's "Vampire/sound/radio", and you can either delete the whole radio folder or just the files inside.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone had any issues with the res-patcher? I can't seem to get it to actually change anything :\ (yes, it's in the right place)

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

homerlaw posted:

There's the Antitribu Mod, though I'm not sure if it was ever completed since I disconnected from that scene quite some time ago.

There are others that add new clans, but I think that one... and one other that I can no longer remember the name of... are the only ones that attempt to re-purpose the old Disciplines into new ones.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Offkorn posted:

There's the Antitribu Mod, though I'm not sure if it was ever completed since I disconnected from that scene quite some time ago.

There's new media coming out as of a couple of months ago, so who knows? I'll admit it does seem too good to be true, and mods like Antitribu usually show a lot of promise before the modders create themselves into a corner and then disappear completely.

sneakyrobber
Jan 24, 2009
hey this game again! So many good times :allears: About the histories mod. If i remember right, there used to be console commands to activate them without downloading a mod. I was playing the original unpatched version of the game though.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sneakyrobber posted:

I was playing the original unpatched version of the game though.

Why would anyone do this? The Society of Leopold crash alone is enough to make me never play this again without being patched up.

Sorry to ask again also, but anyone have any tips for a mid to late game obfuscate / melee Malkavian? It just starts getting ridiculously hard after a certain point and stealth and dialogue options don't get you that far.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Tewratomeh posted:

Is it still okay to wish for the death of Robert Kotick? Because I think I speak for everyone when I say that he's a blight on humanity, and his swift death would bring light and joy to all the children of the world. Come on, man, think of the children!

On a semi-related note, I think it's pretty loving insulting that Activision's Little Cash Cow, "Call of Duty", has its own arcade machine just hanging around in VtM: Bloodlines. Oh, and Pitfall. Pitfall always sucked.

Death might be a bit harsh, but if there is such a thing as karma he will be out of a job, broke and no one would ever want to hire him again. I think that's better than killing him actually.

So, uh, anyway! Vampire! Cool little game with great replay value, even if it's broken and lacks polish. On my second playthough I tried playing a Malkavian, which was fun up until you reach the snuff video quest in Hollywood. After that it gets stupid hard with the infamous sewer level and all. Like someone else mentioned, it's really neat that the characters actually act while talking to you. In particular I liked LaCroix's and Strauss' body language, with their dramatic gestures. It's also really cool that you can pretty much see what the character in question thinks of you just by looking at their eyes. Some look down on you, others struggle to maintain eye contact, while flat-out insane characters stare directly at you without ever blinking. It's a neat little feature and a shame more devs haven't picked it up afterwards.

Edit: And Smiling Jack is without a doubt John DiMaggio's best voice acting to date. He makes him sound like the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I tend to run with a max obfuscate Malk (usually max obf by the elizabeth dane mission) and then focus on dementation and melee. My main problem is about half way through you start getting your poo poo wrecked, obfuscate becomes useless and bosses start to just kick your rear end before you can do much, dialogue options obviously fairly useless by this point.

Any tips for the late-game stealth Malk?

I usually play a melee/stealth Malk at the start and then move on to primarily firearms for the sewers at the earliest or Society of Leopold at the latest. 2 dots in obsfucate is enough for the entire game, after buying the first dot you get enough melee from people/books/email college to never bother with it and strength is a waste of XP IMO. Dementation 3 I think is all you need for every conversation so stop there unless you really want the level 5 damaging ability(which is pretty awesome) and spend the savings from dodge/str/melee/obs/stealth and get your ranged with auspex to 8-10ish.

This way you can still sneak, melee and dement pretty much the same as a full blown melee/stealth based Malk but can switch to guns whenever you want.

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
I bought this game when it first came out but gave up on it because of the clunky combat. Do the patches and mods improve it enough to give it another try?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Okay wow. A lot of the custom skins that come with the Clan Quest Mod are utter poo poo. Exactly what files do you delete to get rid of 'em? There's more than normal, but hell if I know which ones are supposed to be there!

Will the game break entirely if I just nuke the affected subdirectories?

ETA: Nuking the subdirectories only fixed the Gangrel female. The Malkavian and Toreador "hey guys I made this with one hand :hawaaaafap:" models remained, but were purple and black instead.

Trying to "Verify Game Cache Integrity" through Steam currently.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shadowborn posted:

Edit: And Smiling Jack is without a doubt John DiMaggio's best voice acting to date. He makes him sound like the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

Awwwwwwwllllll right!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The voice acting really was stellar in this game. I recognized John DiMaggio and Phil Lamaar at least, and whoever does LaCroix is just awesome for some reason.

Going back to Gamebryo convos after playing this game is hard. For such an old game it had perfect faces, actual emotions, and different poses. Sometimes they look goofy (It's ok Nines, don't get so angry you start crying!) but overall its really cool.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Okay, wow, I had an interesting fight with Bishop Vick. I was using celerity melee, so basically the entire fight was about navigating around an increasingly dense collection of clouds of shotgun shells so I could put my ax in his face. In the end, we actually killed each other simultaneously, and then his shotgun and my ax formed a cross when they hit the ground.

By the way, is there any way to just remove the music mod? I like the new title theme, but a lot of the tracks (especially that one that plays in most fights) are just really boring. Also, wasn't there some talk of altering the clan quest mod so that you could do all of the quests on a single runthrough?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
People randomly entering the frame and staring at your conversation partner is the best Bloodlines feature.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Deleuzionist posted:

People randomly entering the frame and staring at your conversation partner is the best Bloodlines feature.

She's about to go all :nyd: on Knox by the look of things.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Deleuzionist posted:

Even more amusing is that in that screen, the pedestrian model happens to be the same as that ghoul you meet Downtown that's been talking to everybody about the existence of vampires... and there she is listening in on a conversation about vampires being real.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Deleuzionist posted:

The look on that woman's face says it all. "Ugh. Again with the vampires, Knox?"

The second best Bloodlines feature is following NPCs around in the Downtown hotel. It's five different kinds of hilarious to watch someone march up to the bathroom like they own the place, kick the door in, and decide against going inside after staring at it for a minute.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SourceElement posted:

Okay wow. A lot of the custom skins that come with the Clan Quest Mod are utter poo poo. Exactly what files do you delete to get rid of 'em? There's more than normal, but hell if I know which ones are supposed to be there!

Will the game break entirely if I just nuke the affected subdirectories?

ETA: Nuking the subdirectories only fixed the Gangrel female. The Malkavian and Toreador "hey guys I made this with one hand :hawaaaafap:" models remained, but were purple and black instead.

Trying to "Verify Game Cache Integrity" through Steam currently.

Yeah, this is why I linked that ModDB page so you could see that the Asian Malkavian skin is a loving horrible steaming pile of poo poo.

On an aside (I will put hte link in the post) the CQM guy is still working on it, and he's open to suggestions on quest ideas and stuff like that, as well as voice acting. Could be a fun goonrush to help him out!

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Ugh, so I've downloaded the CQM mod twice using the link in the OP(and I used two different sources, PlanetScroll and one of the other ones) and the .exe won't extract properly. Even worse, attempting to extract it causes my computer to freak the gently caress out, crashing windows explorer repeatedly and causing a massive amount of lag. Has this happened to anyone else?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
It always bugs me that it turns out Knox was a criminal master mind which then sets the tone for you getting owned by just about everyone for the rest of the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Coolio posted:

It always bugs me that it turns out Knox was a criminal master mind which then sets the tone for you getting owned by just about everyone for the rest of the game.

Just goes to show how high on the totem pole you are in kindred society, eh?

I think Skelter (Or Nines or Jack, I forget which one) said it best: "Anyone with two days seniority over you, pushing you around."

On another note, did the CQM change the third person view of your character? I can't use melee weapons at all, and I'd gotten to be pretty good with 'em in my previous runs. Now, in order to attack straight, I have to aim about 90 degrees past my target. (By which, I mean the crosshairs has to be way over toward the side of the screen to let my insane dude attack a target in front of him.) Or is that one of the downsides to having a 1 in physical attacking?

ETA: The ModDB pages took forever to load, somewhere more than 5 minutes of loading to get the page to even display. :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Why would anyone do this? The Society of Leopold crash alone is enough to make me never play this again without being patched up.
Because they played it at release and didn't have much choice?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

SourceElement posted:

On another note, did the CQM change the third person view of your character? I can't use melee weapons at all, and I'd gotten to be pretty good with 'em in my previous runs. Now, in order to attack straight, I have to aim about 90 degrees past my target. (By which, I mean the crosshairs has to be way over toward the side of the screen to let my insane dude attack a target in front of him.) Or is that one of the downsides to having a 1 in physical attacking?
I think my vanilla/1.2 official patch Brujah play-through changed to be like that about halfway through, so it might be a bug.

McGiygas
Sep 25, 2010

by T. Mascis
I've got the Camrilla mod and I need some help. I did what it said in the manual to stop the blood drain, but it still drains. Anyone have any solutions or a config file that works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Zasze posted:

Just get wesps basic patch one of the better fixes is the increase in performance on newer systems.

This doesn't prevent the bug, though. I tried running Vampire on my new laptop after installing all the various mods, and it still CTDs with the "Available memory" bug.

Syndliig's stuff should be in the OP!

Edit: NVM, I'm a dumbass and the installer installed to the wrong folder! Program Files instead of Program Files x86. Amateur mistake :(

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 7, 2011

• Locked thread