Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

OSheaman posted:

exquisitely well-crafted dungeons (including one early on considered by many people to be one of the "scariest" dungeons ever made in a game)

I agree with the text in parentheses but otherwise the dungeons in this game are atrociously long and, with the exception of the first one, overstay their welcome halfway through their length, if not earlier (gently caress you, sewer level).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

jaffyjaffy posted:

I promised myself that I'd actually play this game over spring break, However, I am unsure as to what should I build for Tremere. I've heard that Blood Salvo and Blood Boil really aren't that amazing, and I originally went for the perk that gave you the +1 in Thaumaturgy, however I'd bet there is a better choice for that.

Any help would be amazing, really.

From memory, all you really need is the armor skill and the skill that stuns everything in an AoE forever (it's completely overpowered because it will also stun bosses, unlike most specials).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The best part is the Malkavian PC just subtly spoiling every plot point in the game. It'll make no loving sense on your first playthrough but it's pretty amazing on the second.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Another Bloodlines without the tedious five hour long fighting segments sounds great.

All the games they asked about in the survey were absolutely great so I'm definitely into whatever it is they're planning.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

man at what point did obsidian become big enough to work on five different games at a time

not complaining but yeesh

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

One thing about Alpha Protocol is that it might not be extremely obvious how reactive it is until you play through it again and do things differently. On your first playthrough, it might seem like a fairly scripted story and it might not be very obvious how the events you're going through could change depending on how you acted earlier. It's when you play through it again in a wildly different way that you realize just how much dialogue and events can change based on how you've been behaving before.

I don't remember many specifics because it's been so long since I played it, but the changes can be really varied and can impact gameplay, like how an informant will tip off the embassy that you're targeting if you've been a dickhead to him, which results in the guards at the embassy wearing full military gear instead of a lighter, more casual police setup.

Coolguye posted:

the game also ended up being way, way too long for its own good and story wise it did a pretty poor job of drawing your character into the fold because you'd start out with some strong hook, and then you wouldn't hear anything from the story for 10+ hours of gameplay. like i just spent an entire evening doing nothing but running around this city being generally awesome and shooting haters, why did i give a poo poo about some lame-o prophecy again?

Yeah; it had some dungeons that severely overstay their welcome and like most Troika games kind of noticeably ran low on budget later on, and I guess the game balance was utterly broken, but the setting and the writing carried it for me. There was something great about how the game world reacted to how you built your character: if you became too strong a mage, you'd start emitting an aura that distorts the laws of nature, making machines of all types go completely haywire and break. At that point, Victorian-era-style inventors would shoo you out of their shops and conductors wouldn't allow you to board trains anymore. Similarly, great technologists would (ironically) magically stabilize the laws of physics, potentially turning powerful enchanted items into mundane trinkets.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

If anything it's a plot point that technology, with its ability to grant great benefits to people without the years of study required for magic, is slowly winning over the world, and that technology's ability to stabilize the laws of physics is making it harder and harder to use magic at all. A great wizard is much more powerful than a dude with a gun, but you can train hundreds of thousands of dudes with guns in the time it takes to train one great wizard, and concentrating so much technology and so many technology adepts in one place would make it nigh-impossible to cast magic.

It's an interesting limitation on the power of wizards, which you quickly find out is absolutely massive if you've ever tried to play one in Arcanum. You can teleport across the world, unlock anything, disintegrate (instakill) anything, buff any stat beyond the realm of mere mortals, create a personal barrier that buffs your resistances into insanity, and whatever else I forgot. It's a shame that the devs didn't put very many high tech adepts in the game, and so these limitations don't show up all that often in gameplay (in gameplay, characters with high tech aptitude have a chance proportional to tech aptitude to make a spell fizzle or do less damage), but it makes for an interesting world.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Aleth posted:

Except from what I can remember is that people with guns found they stopped working in my magical presence and would charge at me with their fists instead.

Yeah very few enemies actually have high technology aptitude so what usually happens when you play a wizard is that your much higher magical aptitude wins out.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah you can play a non-magic, non-tech sword/bow/throwing weapons guy or (less viable for dumb mechanical reasons) a charismatic sweet-talker with a ton of follower NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It's actually not very hard to play the game in easy mode.

Make an elf with the "Sold Your Soul" trait and spend your five starting points on these spells: Harm, Heal, Shield of Protection, Purity of Water, and whichever is the first spell of the tree that leads to unlock and teleportation. Your magical aptitude linearly scales your magic damage, so work on raising it by grabbing spells while you raise your willpower to unlock higher tier spells.

Just watch your stamina (buy out every stamina potion vendor you come across) and spam Harm to effortlessly kill anything. Stack Purity of Water to get better prices from merchants, and use Shield of Protection to massively raise your resistances.

• Locked thread