Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

sonic bed head posted:

I live in NYC, but work in NJ. I believe that my state taxes are paid to NJ. Do I have to file in both NYC and NJ?

Yes, you do. You will probably owe some money to NYS/NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Thanks for the info there, wow. In any case, she's insisting on the W9 and we'll deal with the rest as tax time approaches.

Good. Based on their response to you, they do not actually understand who needs a W-8BEN versus a W-9, and it may take you some time to get them to understand it. But absolutely do not sign something under penalty of perjury when it says something objectively false (about your citizenship).

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Peyote Panda posted:

whatever is listed on the return

Or sometimes only part of what is listed on the return, causing your check to be returned to sender.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Motronic posted:

They need a legal entity in each state in which they have an employee and need to withhold state and local payroll taxes properly.

LOL, this wasn't true even in the late '00s. Paying the state and local taxes was my problem, not my out-of-state employer's.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 2, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

H110Hawk posted:

Depends on the state. Once you have nexus in the state they generally want your company to file a state tax return. I don't know it state to state but Virginia definitely cares once you have a full time employee there. They will go back in time to solve the problem through fines and taxes due.

98% of my work was done in the employer's state, not the state where I was a tax resident. Work from home was technically possible but only used in emergencies (or tests of the emergency protocol). The employer only deducted its own state's taxes. I mailed a check to the other state every time I got paid.

This was a large employer, too, so it's unlikely that they failed to withhold anything required.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 2, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

PatMarshall posted:

Hey, at least you're not a US citizen, we are taxed in the US on our worldwide income and have to file US tax returns and disclosures no matter where we live, with draconian penalties for missed filings to boot!

sullat posted:

Between all the exclusions and credits and allowances you shouldn't actually owe anything until $200k at a minimum

Gabriel Grub posted:

You owe me a thousand dollars to prepare it.

BRB, telling Canada Post y'all are rummaging through my mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Gabriel Grub posted:

This means that if next year the Wise account has $6,000 in it and you move that to a local bank, your FBAR total is $12,000 and you still have to report.

I don't believe that's correct. There's no point in this scenario where the aggregate value of the two accounts exceeds $6,000.

Gabriel Grub posted:

Also, if you end up closing the account, there's a box you can check to indicate that.

There isn't one on the PDF FBAR, so you just stop reporting it after the year it was closed.