Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So my grandfather gifted me 60 shares of AT&T stock when he passed away in 1999. He wound up with these shares since he bought stock in Woodbury Connecticut Telephone in 197?. Since then it has grown to about 172 shares through dividend reinvestment over the last 21 years. I want to sell this stock and move it to index funds in my Roth IRA since owning individual stocks is not part of my investment strategy.

Probably due to the the Woodbury Telephone --> SNET --> AT&T transition I cannot find a cost basis on any of the documentation. What would be the best way to estimate my tax liability?

My best estimate is that T was trading for about $58 a share in October 1999. So my gains, if I were to sell today, would be about $3,060 and my tax bill would be ~$460 (15% LTCG).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Yes, you still receive the form, but the tax software just asks yes/no if you had health insurance for all of 2019. No need to actually scan it in.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a situation where I owe a significant amount to the IRS this year, which is alright. But on top of that, I've received 1040-ES forms asking for estimated payments of around $3,400 per quarter. It doesn't quite add up to me because I'm just a regular W-2 employee, not self-employed or anything like that.

Would it make sense for me to adjust my withholding so it matches the total of these quarterly payments ($13,600), divided by the number of pay periods left in the year (20)? That way, I could cover my taxes without having to worry about quarterly payments? Would that result in a significant over payment for 2024?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Did you receive the 1040-ES from TurboTax? It uses a very aggressive calculation for the estimated amount.

I had my taxes prepared by a CPA this year, so I will ask him as well. I am open to adjusting my withholdings, but I want to avoid adjusting my withholdings and making estimated payments, as I believe that would lead to a significant overpayment.

To simplify, let's assume I owe the IRS $5,000 for 2023. The CPA suggests making $10,000 estimated payments in each quarter of 2024 (4/16/24, 6/17/24, 9/16/24, and 1/16/25). Should I adjust my withholdings to pay an extra $5,000 in 2024 or an extra $10,000 in 2024?