Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
I just paged through the thread, and didn't see this. My apologies if it was covered in the last megathread.

The question: If I received a 1099B that only contains gross proceeds (no cost basis, no net proceeds), and I have no record of the cost basis, do I need to report a $0 cost basis when I file?

The details: This past year I sold some stocks that were purchased under an ESOP at least a decade ago. I no longer have any paperwork (tax returns, income statements, transaction reports, etc) for the purchases, and the company no longer exists. Georgeson Securities "took over" the unclaimed shares of the old company, and cashed them out at current market value.

In case it's relevant, the company was taken over by another company about a year ago, and my shares were traded for shares of the new company plus cash. My shares were lost years ago, and I paid an extra $1 per share to cash them out without physically sending them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU