Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ungratek posted:

Man refuses to open mailbox to defer income -IRS hates this one weird trick!!

All jokes aside, it's hard to open your mailbox if you're in a different county or state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SamDabbers posted:

I took advantage of a Black Friday trade-in deal on a new cell phone this year. The phone was $800, I got a $500 rebate for the old phone, and I paid the $300 difference. I then sold the new phone for $700 on Swappa and got paid for it using Paypal.

Since Paypal is going to send out a 1099-K this year for "goods and services" transactions in excess of $600, what is my cost basis in the new phone that I sold? Did I technically sell it for a $100 loss? Did I make $400 profit on which I owe tax? Does it matter what I paid for the old phone?

Btw, the implementation of this has been delayed a year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/23/irs-delays-tax-reporting-change-for-1099-k-on-venmo-paypal-payments.html

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MadDogMike posted:

LOL, and yet another thing I got pushed on to prepare for next tax season gets pushed back or changed right after I pass the test on it. Not quite as funny as watching Congress debate it while I was studying though like one year.

So maybe you can answer then:

This is all fine and dandy for gig workers that are supposed to file schedule C anyway, but for rando people selling old crap on eBay (which are personal items sold at a loss and therefore nondeductible), how are they supposed to indicate that?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh, they got rid of the $300 deduction for cash donations to qualified charities?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Missing Donut posted:

It was bad tax law. It’s essentially unauditable with little additional funds going toward charitable coffers. They might as well have just increased the standard deduction across the board.

(Not dissimilar for K-12 teachers. It sucks explaining to a teacher that the $1,500 they spent on their classrooms only saved them $36 in taxes.)

Maybe it’s just annoying as a tax professional. After two years reeducating clients on the tax value of charity post-TCJA, we had two years of a minuscule benefit for out-of-pockets, and are now back to re-reeducating to 2019.

That's too bad. I liked the idea, personally. Especially post-TCJA, few people itemize.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hopefully this is the appropriate thread but --

I have an LFSA [for dental and vision] and a general HSA. I assume if I have an expensive dental procedure that my LFSA doesn't fully cover, I can use whatever is in the LFSA and bill the HSA for the rest?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The problem here is that if you live in that other state, you can potentially create a Nexus for your employer, meaning the State could hold them liable for corporate income taxes and so forth.

This is one of those things I wish Congress would finally sort out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Flora Finching posted:

Okay I didn't get a 1099G. I'll have to go to EDD and request one, it's not available on my account so I wasn't sure if it would be the same. Thank you!

Were you unemployed?

IIRC unless something has changed recently, CA SDI is only taxable if you were unemployed. If you were employed before and after, it's not taxable.

https://edd.ca.gov/en/disability/SDI_FAQ_for_1099G/

quote:

In most cases, Disability Insurance (DI) benefits are not taxable. But, if you are receiving unemployment, but then become ill or injured and begin receiving DI benefits, the DI benefits are considered to be a substitute for unemployment benefits, which are taxable.

If your DI benefits are taxable, you will receive a notice with your first benefit payment. You will receive a Form 1099G for your federal return only. The DI benefits are reported to the IRS up to your unemployment maximum benefit amount.

If you do not work because of a disability and receive DI benefits, those benefits are not taxable.