Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I guess this is the place to ask.

I did some contract work for a guy last summer, generally getting about $300 a week. He has not sent me my 1099-MISC form yet. I have my doubts that he is going to. What are my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

KennyG posted:

How much in total? Was he an individual or an individual operating as a business?

Assuming business:
Less than $600 doesn't require a 1099-Misc (you would just claim as schedule C or general misc on line 22 where appropriate) If you had more, you can file a substitute and explain the situation, but you have to also describe your attempt to get the form. I would tactfully (or hostily depending on your relationship with him) ask what his intentions are or if he is planning on submitting a 1099 for you. He should have sent it out by Feb 1 just like a W2. He may be thinking he is doing you a favor by not filing a 1099 for you (although he's screwing himself if he actually pays taxes).

Thanks. I was actually paid a few thousand over the course of the summer, but the last $600 was never sent; I'm sure I have to file on this. I've heard similar stories from others about this kind of thing too. I've sent a kind notice already, in a few days I may submit a more aggressive one.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Stupid Question:

I'm doing some independent contract work this summer doing landscaping and property maintenance. I buy supplies like mulch, weedkiller, and tools, and my employer refunds me for them. I've been keeping the receipts on file. Who needs these for filing for taxes? Me or him? My employer seems to think I should, but I figure if he has covered the expense, then technically they're his, right?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yeah, it's a kinda/sorta under the table kind of thing. I'm just doing some property work for a local landlord. I'm assuming that Zeta's first comment is probably the most accurate, though I'll have to talk with him to see exactly what his plan is on that.