Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
This isn't so much for 2014 but for 2015. I am partially self-employed flipping stuff on eBay, say I expect to have a profit of ~$10,000 for 2015. That would mean I have to pay approximately $2,500 in associated SE tax for that amount. Should I be sending in quarterly payments for that in addition to the amount I am withholding from my paycheck from my unrelated W2 job (where I will gross about $35k this year)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
With the new tax law is there any tax benefit to establishing an LLC for self employment stuff that I have claimed on Schedule C in the past? We’re talking small time retail on ebay and stuff, probably under $20k in gross receipts this year.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

JohnnyPalace posted:

I don't know if there are any state reasons for doing that, but at least for federal purposes, a single member LLC is a disregarded entity and would show up on a schedule C anyway. If your gross receipts are that small, the net income probably wouldn't be high enough for the new pass-through deductions to make much difference either way.

Thanks, thats what I figured initially and I did some more reading and saw the disregarded entity bit.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Anybody here done the EA thing? I’m thinking of seeing if the Bank I work for will pay for it. I don’t do tax work for the bank but I’m in commercial lending so it does intersect with my work, figured it might teach me some stuff and maybe I could do some volunteer stuff too.

Any guidance on whether or not it’s worth someone else’s money or my time would be great. If you’ve done it and got prep stuff you like that would be cool too.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

urnisme posted:

Note also that a child has to be born before the end of the year to provide tax benefits, so time is of the essence to get that process started.

RIP to the parents whose kid is born late, and comes out after midnight on January 1 of the new year.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

EugeneJ posted:

TurboTax Free File (formerly TurboTax Freedom Edition) is free if your AGI is below 34k:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

My aunt did Credit Karma Tax last year and had to submit her state return by mail for some reason

gently caress TurboTax, the IRS FreeFile program is available to people making less than $66k/year.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

DaveSauce posted:

You kinda phrased that funny, so to be clear: making the contribution and taking a distribution are two different events.

Making a contribution has no bearing on what you're asking. It's a contribution, nothing more.

The distributions, however, are where the issue comes in. So if you pull money OUT of your HSA/etc. to pay for medical expenses, you cannot double dip and claim those same medical expenses as deductions on your taxes. And that's for the very reason you stated; you've already paid for them with pre-tax money.

So if you're using that HSA money to pay for stuff, then you're correct. However if you just leave the money in your account, then you can still take a tax deduction for any medical expenses you incur.

Something to note is that you can only deduct medical expenses ABOVE a certain percentage of your AGI... something like 7.5% I think.

How would this work when you can reimburse yourself at any point down the road? If I take the tax benefit of spending 10% of my income now, and then reimburse myself 30 years later am I supposed to file an amendment?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

No you aren't supposed to reimburse for things you already took a distribution on. It's tax fraud. You're really exceedingly unlikely to get caught though.

You mean deduction not distribution right? I don't have an HSA anyway, but what an easily cheated system.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

Today you deposit $1000 into your hsa. That is legally deducted from your agi, making it pre-tax money.

You incur $10,000 in expenses on $50k of income and deduct the amount over 10% of your income from your agi ($5k). This makes $5k of it pretax.

In 30 years you have $10k in your hsa. You can legally reimburse the remaining $5k as its the only amount that was still paid with post-tax money.

That's it. To my understanding.

Makes sense, just seems like a super easy way to cheat although I suppose in the grand scheme of things it isn't much money and relies on you having a ton of medical expenses.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

OldSenileGuy posted:

Right now when I try to request a tax transcript online at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript it says "Service unavailable due to system maintenance."

Anyone know if this is actual system maintenance and the service will be available tomorrow? Or are they using "system maintenance" as shorthand for "Coronavirus hosed everything up" and this will be unavailable for the foreseeable future?

Somehow I hosed up and don't have last year's return in my records, and it won't let me e-file this year's returns without having last year's AGI.

4506-T system is hosed right now as I recall. There was some SBA guidance about it here that says its down indefinitely. That got issued 04/08/20.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Framboise posted:

You have got to be kidding me. :smith:

These only went out in one wave? That's it? Because I missed it I have to wait... how long until the physical ones come? I was hearing they might not even be here until September, and even then I REALLY don't like the idea of a $1200 check sitting in my mailbox in the shady-rear end apartment complex I live in.

Go here and enter your info to add your bank account for a direct deposit.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

tangy yet delightful posted:

Any advice about people who paid taxes for 2018 filing year so did not get a refund but yet the IRS has their bank account info and could DD the stimulus into it? (and by people I mean myself and my wife)

My dad suggested trying to enter the banking details on the IRS website but the site says it's only for non-filers which we are not.

I had to pay in 2019, use this link to put in your info (you’ll need your 2018 return handy)

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
I’m not a CPA but you’ll pay taxes on your pro rata share of the company’s income.

If there’s say 1000 shares, and t he company makes $100,000 you’ll pay taxes on 100/1000 = 10% of $100,000.

Ideally they’re distributing cash to you out of that net income number to account for that.

My brain has melted and I realized that I didn’t answer your question, but the additional income from the company will be taxed at whatever your marginal rate is, regardless of the distributions to you.

tumblr hype man fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 18, 2020

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Since the withholding calculator is currently down can someone make sure I’m thinking about this correctly?

Total projected 2022 income: $128,065
401k Contribution: ($20,500)
Standard Deduction: ($12,950)
Taxable Income: $94,615

Then using the 2022 tax tables I come up with total tax liability of $16,543.10 (which is $15,213.50 plus 24% if the amount over $89,075).

I’ve already withheld $7,200 this year leaving $9,343 to withhold the rest of the year, which when spread across 21 remaining paychecks means I should withhold $445/paycheck.

I’m currently withholding $506. Can I just add dependents to my W4 to drop me down to the appropriate amount or should I use the deductions section and figure out the appropriate math?

Does it matter if I claim dependents or exemptions if I get to the same place and don’t create a tax liability?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
It’s due to getting bonused out in January, which front loads a lot of that income and the withholding, this year the bonus totaled $25k gross. It looks like I can just add $4k of additional deductions in the new W4 to get where I need to be. I guess I’d have to revisit it later in the year depending on any raise/job change/additional comp.

Not a huge amount of money either way but I’d like to have it now rather than in a year or so.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

last year i did paper but I got my refund in march I think

I only do paper because I don't qualify for the free e-file, and I find paying to file my taxes absurd

interestingly enough my state (MN) was paper and I got my refund in only a few weeks

Freetaxusa.com won’t charge you for a federal return at any income threshold just FYI. State return will have a fee but it’s probably still better than waiting a million years for a paper return to go through.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
FWIW, freetaxusa has never had an issue carrying over whatever you filled in for the schedule onto the actual filed return if you want to avoid paying for an accountant.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

I have a very simple situation, I just file a 1040, and then for my state (MN) just the regular income tax form (M1) and the property tax refund (M1PR). I do have a mortgage. my AGI is just barely too high to get the IRS free file. is there any free federal option available? I'd be okay doing state by paper as the refund doesn't take very long. what about freetaxusa?

Freetaxusa should cover you. Honestly not sure if they’ll force you to do the state return though them or not since I’ve never had to do one. You could also use the fillable pdfs if your super confident in your abilities and hate yourself.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Dr Christmas posted:

Yep, box 12a, code D - Elective Referrals to 401K.

One of 4 copies of that W2 didn't have 12, 15 or 16 filled in so I may have overlooked it, but it got imported into TurboTax just fine, so I don't know how I missed it there.

It's annoying that I have to pay $56 dollars to file a $40 credit, but oh well.

You can probably check and see what freetaxusa.com (not a scam) will cost to get you the savers credit.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Are you taking money out of the 401k, IRA or HSA or just saving into them?

If you aren’t taking money out you can use freetaxusa.com and pay nothing.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

sullat posted:

The IRS is piloting it's own tax filing software, you should try using it if you are able.

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file#participating-states

You have to have less than $1,500 in interest income so back to freetaxusa we go. I’ll see if my fiancée can use it I guess.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Just updated our W4s for this year. Excited to see how far off I end up from the estimation lol. Hopefully not as bad as the projected $6k+ I was gonna owe the feds if I didn’t make any changes.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

UnfurledSails posted:

My mother is a non-US citizen. She is unfortunately very ill and does not have much time left. Knowing this a few months ago she withdrew all her liquid assets from her bank accounts, over $500k in cash and gold, mostly to have me avoid paying any inheritance tax in that country. It's currently sitting in a safe.

I'd like to transfer this amount to my US checking account. Would this transfer be taxed? Does it count as inheritance or income, or just a gift? I've been unemployed for the past 18 months as I quit my job moved back in with mom to take care of her, so I'll declare a very small amount of income this year. I'm worried half a mil suddenly appearing in my bank might raise some flags and get me in trouble.

Your bank will ask about it, don't lie to them, and they'll file a Currency Transaction Report and a Suspicious Activity Report as required by FinCen. These will promptly be filed and ignored. Do NOT make a bunch of small deposits of this money to try and avoid this reporting, because that is a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Go use the IRS withholding calculator.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator