Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Im running into an issue thats driving me loving insane. Trying to file our return via free file as married filling jointly. We had a tax preparer file our return last year and it looks like he made PIN codes for us to file electronically. Im filling it myself this year.

Regardless of if I put in my and my spouses PIN or the correct AGI from last year I get rejected with this error:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-fillable-forms/ind-032-04

Ive tried all the stupid tricks and permutations of ‘0’ for spouses AGI, or PIN or leaving blank. Im confident the AGI and PIN are being entered correctly since I have our last years return here but it gets rejected every time. FML. Anyone know the correct way to resolve this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Wow what the gently caress! I signed up for ID.me (and probably consented to sell my biometric data to anyone online, forever) and tried to pull my transcript for last year and it sure looks like my loving tax guy never loving filed a return for 2022. I have his copy of the completed return, but the IRS transcript only shows that he filed an extension. I can see from previous years the completed returns being submitted. What the gently caress!!!

Should I try and file an extension to try and sort out this poo poo first? Can I do that online ASAP? Should I just print out the 2023 return and pray? I was already not on speaking terms with this rear end in a top hat and now I'm just livid. gently caress this poo poo.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Peyote Panda posted:

Each year's return is generally treated separately for processing purposes, so if you have your 2023 return ready now there's no reason not to file and then go back and get 2022 sorted out.

For the PIN/AGI e-filing issue, since you currently don't have a 2022 return on file, just enter 0 for your's and your spouse's prior year AGIs. The system is comparing it to what is actually on file, not what it was supposed to be.

Some e-file vendors will let you file prior year returns electronically. Were you expecting to owe money for 2022, get a refund, or were you breaking even? Late penalties for filing are based on a percentage of what you owe, so if you don't owe anything there shouldn't be any penalties charged.

If your preparer said they filed the return and didn't, you can submit a complaint against them via Form 14157: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/make-a-complaint-about-a-tax-return-preparer.

Thank you for helping me remain sane through this last minute BS. I owed a pretty big amount for 2022, which I paid using the voucher the preparer gave me a year ago. I was able to file and get the 2023 accepted doing what you said so the immediate fire is out. I guess you can just write the US treasury a check and they'll cash it without a return?

So I guess the next step is to call this dude up and ask him what happened and tell him to file our 2022 return. We're trying to buy a house this year and I assume not having 2022 filed will gently caress up trying to get a mortgage approved?

Part of me wants to rake this guy over the coals and demand a refund from the $1600 bucks I paid him for preparing this poo poo. I guess being charitable maybe he just forgot to hit send or something? This whole situation seems crazy to me but maybe it's just an honest mistake.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes the government will cash your check and just hold it and apply it eventually when the return is filed. Or never apply it to anything I saw that once where they acknowledged that money was received but dindn't actually apply it to my client's balance until we called them. It was just very dumb.

Your CPA may have been a jerk, he may have thought he filed it, he may have had a situation like me earlier this year where I'm supposed to get email alerts if a return is not accepted electronically but I had a bunch from when e-filing reopened this year that didn't go through for some reason but weren't specifically rejected and I was not aware that it happened.

He's not a CPA, AFAIK, but an MBA :rolleyes:. I checked our previous year's correspondence and he mentioned filling 250 extensions the same day as he filled mine, so I am just assuming he filed an extension and just forgot to file the actual return before october. I'll email him and ask him to fix this poo poo. As much as I would like to attribute malice to this it's probably just a stupid mistake.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Peyote Panda posted:

The bright side to that as a taxpayer is that if you paid the full amount due by the original due date you shouldn't have any penalties for the late filing because those are calculated as a percentage of any tax liability that was still unpaid after the original due date.

Hopefully he'll just need to resubmit and make sure it goes through this time. If you've already paid in full, that should sort it out.

BTW, once a return with an amount due finishes processing you may get a CP14 notice that only shows a balance due without reflecting your full payments. If you do get that, log back in to the IRS website and check Balance Online and/or pull a 2022 account transcript to see if there's an actual balance before doing anything else.

So, this gets even worse! I dug back through my emails and I found that I got an automated response from the preparers software with a form 9325 showing that my return 2022 return was electronically accepted on 4/18/2023.

I logged on to my IRS account and I don't see any balance. I emailed all this info to my tax preparer and he basically said that he did everything right and that this is an IRS problem and to go gently caress yourself.

I tried calling the 800-829-1040 number on the transcript letter to try and talk to a human but I after going through five layers of phone tree it hangs up on me due to high call volume. What the gently caress am I supposed to do here? Is there another number to call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Missing Donut posted:

Just for clarity -- was the 9325 for the extension or for the return itself? Box 2 would be checked for the return, but box 6 would be checked for the extension.

Boxes 1 and 2 are checked.

Epitope posted:

That sounds frustrating. Maybe it is on the IRS side, not your preparer?

If this is the only thing that could get hung up, you might be ok. You've paid your taxes, you have the returns, right? Does the bank even need the IRS to be fully caught up? Hopefully the IRS backlog is common enough that banks don't hold up loans for it.

Everything is paid and I have the returns but I'm not going to chance any bullshit blowing up a deal. This process is stressful enough.

Peyote Panda posted:

These are not mutually exclusive. You can set up an appointment and still try to call the standard toll-free line when you have the chance.

I guess I'll try this, thanks.