Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixon Cider
Oct 21, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I've got a question about paying what I owe off:
I owe about $2,200 this year; can I set up some sort of "multiple payment plan", or do I have to pay it all at once?

The IRS will let you set up a payment plan that pays it off over as long as five years without a whole lot of work on your part with that small of a debt. You really just need to send in a Form 9465:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f9465.pdf

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You can do a payment agreement with the IRS, but it is so stacked against you, you would do better getting a loan somewhere. You would do better getting a cash advance on a credit card if it came to that.

I completely disagree. The IRS charges interest rates that fluctuate based on the Federal Reserve short-term rate, so right now they are pretty drat low (4%). As long as you file your return on time, you can avoid the late filing penalty which is the big one (5% for every month that it's late).

So, let's say you can pay off your $2,200 bill over one year. You're going to pay 0.5% late payment penalty per month, so 6% penalty for the entire year ($132). And you're going to pay 4% interest on both the principal and penalty, compounded daily.

If you can pay it in a year, you'll pay a total of around $2,427. That's an effective interest rate, even taking the penalty into account, of just over 10.3%. I seriously doubt a credit card can beat that, especially on a cash advance.

Just don't get a late filing penalty, that makes it much more expensive! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Cider
Oct 21, 2008
True, fair enough. I'm used to that $105 being inconsequential, but with this small of a debt it makes a difference. :)